+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

UK Armed Forces wanting to leave and move to Canada. Help please

BenRMC

Jan 7, 2016
Hello all.

I am wanting to return to Canada to join my parents and siblings who live there and are now citizens. I went on a student visa at 12, my dad on a work visa and my step-mother is Canadian. I left Canada at 17 before I got PR or citizenship and joined the UK military. My father is now a citizen and I have now got siblings over there who were born when I left.

After 15 years I plan to retire from the UK Forces and return to BC and become a police officer of which I have already interviewed for and have an offer in principal, of course all residing on whether I can get PR or not.

I find the government website extremely confusing and frustrating. I don't think I am eligible for express entry as I am not a skilled worker and UK Armed Forces is not listed in the NOC. So the question is; can I use either NOC 4311 or 6261 although those NOCs clearly state Canadian Forces (you can't be in the Canadian Forces unless you are a citizen thus defeating the reason as to why it is in the NOC list) or is there a different way in which to put my application???

Any help, guidance or experience on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

BenRMC

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
BenRMC said:
Hello all.

I am wanting to return to Canada to join my parents and siblings who live there and are now citizens. I went on a student visa at 12, my dad on a work visa and my step-mother is Canadian. I left Canada at 17 before I got PR or citizenship and joined the UK military. My father is now a citizen and I have now got siblings over there who were born when I left.

After 15 years I plan to retire from the UK Forces and return to BC and become a police officer of which I have already interviewed for and have an offer in principal, of course all residing on whether I can get PR or not.

I find the government website extremely confusing and frustrating. I don't think I am eligible for express entry as I am not a skilled worker and UK Armed Forces is not listed in the NOC. So the question is; can I use either NOC 4311 or 6261 although those NOCs clearly state Canadian Forces (you can't be in the Canadian Forces unless you are a citizen thus defeating the reason as to why it is in the NOC list) or is there a different way in which to put my application???

Many thanks,

BenRMC
The NOC list is used for more than immigration, which is why it contains those codes.

Your options really are; Family Class Sponsorship (assuming that you can qualify), CEC (based on getting a qualifying job and experience in Canada first) or possibly Provincial Nomination. Others may have alternative suggestions.

pziegler1986

Star Member
Jan 19, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hey BenRMC

I remember Mr Trudeau speaking about how his Government aims to unify Canadians with their families or something along those lines so I would suggest getting your father and siblings who are citizens to reach out to their local MPs and explain the situation, the MP might be able to better guide you on the path required to immigrate to Canada.

As for Express Entry, I'm not too sure how your profile fits!

Freskat

Jan 7, 2016
Hi BenRMC,

Did you get a LMIA for this job? It should include a NOC code, so you can apply for PR as a FSW, Express Entry.

Regards

jhutti

Aug 13, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
BenRMC said:
Hello all.

Many thanks,

BenRMC
Seems difficult case under first generation rules. Check grandparent clause that is not applicable to general rules , see if that can be applicable to you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
pziegler1986 said:
Hey BenRMC

I remember Mr Trudeau speaking about how his Government aims to unify Canadians with their families or something along those lines so I would suggest getting your father and siblings who are citizens to reach out to their local MPs and explain the situation, the MP might be able to better guide you on the path required to immigrate to Canada.
Family sponsorship is not an option and not worth exploring. Yes - the Liberals are planning on making some adjustments to the family sponsorship rules - but these plans do not include anything that would benefit the OP. The OP is far too old to be sponsored by a family members in Canada. The only "family" option available to him would be if he ended up with a Canadian spouse or common law partner.

He needs to focus on immigrating through an economic immigration program if he wants to come to Canada.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
jhutti said:
Seems difficult case under first generation rules. Check grandparent clause that is not applicable to general rules , see if that can be applicable to you.
First generation would only apply if his father was a citizen before he was born.

pziegler1986

Star Member
Jan 19, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
Family sponsorship is not an option and not worth exploring. Yes - the Liberals are planning on making some adjustments to the family sponsorship rules - but these plans do not include anything that would benefit the OP. The OP is far too old to be sponsored by a family members in Canada. The only "family" option available to him would be if he ended up with a Canadian spouse or common law partner.

He needs to focus on immigrating through an economic immigration program if he wants to come to Canada.
Yeah thanks mate - I didn't mention Family Sponsorship as an option.

BenRMC

Jan 7, 2016
Looking at the family sponsorship rules though I interpreterate it as anyone who is a PR or citizen can sponsor ONE family member. As I am to old too be a dependant child surely I fall under the 'adopted children and other relatives' category???

I appreciate all your replies guys, it's so refreshing that people are willing to spend the time to offer there advice. Might I ask however that you go easy on the acronyms please!

OP, LMIA not sure what these all mean..

Thanks again

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
BenRMC said:
Looking at the family sponsorship rules though I interpreterate it as anyone who is a PR or citizen can sponsor ONE family member. As I am to old too be a dependant child surely I fall under the 'adopted children and other relatives' category???
You've misunderstood the rules. The "other relative" category only applies if the sponsor meets what we refer to as the "lonely Canadian" rule. This means the sponsoring Canadian has no spouse / common law partner, no chidren, no other relatives in Canada, and their parents are deceased and cannot be sponsored. If the Canadian meets all of these requirements, they can sponsor a famly member under the "other relative" rule. Your parents and siblings are all in Canada together - so they obviously don't meet the "lonely Canadian" requirement and can't sponsor you.

Once again, if you want to immigrate, you will have to qualify on your own through one of Canada's economic immigration streams.

liamE

Star Member
Jul 28, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24/07/2015
Ben,
if you've already been in touch with the police in BC and they are keen to give you a job, why don't you look at the British Columbia provincial nominee programme?

Isn't it designed for people like yourself? You have strong family ties, you clearly have transferable skills that the police want...
Am I correct in thinking that PNP is still its own thing for BC and is separate from FSW in terms of having its own critera? I'm not an expert so I'm probably wrong. Perhaps somebody who entered through paper based BC PNP, or used express entry with a BC nomination could help you?

BenRMC

Jan 7, 2016
Thanks Scylla, your interpretation is how I read it originally then I read it differently when I came back to it. I don't think I can get BC PNP because they are only looking for three specific job types of which I'm none. I plan to go to the embassy in London next weekend and see if someone can give me an answer there because at the moment it seems the borders are shut to me. Surely I can still immigrate somehow!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
BenRMC said:
Thanks Scylla, your interpretation is how I read it originally then I read it differently when I came back to it. I don't think I can get BC PNP because they are only looking for three specific job types of which I'm none. I plan to go to the embassy in London next weekend and see if someone can give me an answer there because at the moment it seems the borders are shut to me. Surely I can still immigrate somehow!
Don't bother with the embassy. They can't and won't help you - it will be a waste of your time. They aren't allowed to give advice - just point you in the direction of online resources and forms.

If you want advice outside of this forum, you would need to hire an immigration lawyer or consultant to assist you.

Have you evaluated how many points you would have under Express Entry? If not - you should do that. Have you had your education assessed? (This is required for most programs.) Have you taken an English test? (This is required for all economic immigration programs.)

BenRMC

Jan 7, 2016
I'm a Senior Non Commissioned Officer. Regardless, that NOC still doesn't work under the express entry as it's not a 'skilled job' (apparently) and there is no requirement for it in Canada.

No points under express entry. Did the online application and got turned down immediately saying I do not qualify. I can't afford an immigration lawyer. Haven't done a language test, I don't see the point in doing that if I'm only going to get turned down anyways.