+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

U.S. citizen trying to move to Canada

Naomi.

Star Member
Jan 26, 2019
I'm not exactly sure what to do to become a Canadian citizen. I'm a citizen in the United States, and my significant other is a Canadian citizen. We are in a long distance relationship, and I visit my partner every summer and winter break because I'm still a student. I plan on moving to Canada after I graduate, but we do not plan on getting married anytime soon. I read that I need to stay in Canada for 2/3 years out of 5 years to be eligible to apply for citizenship. However, I also read that visitors can only stay in Canada for 6 months. How can I stay in Canada for that long, but only be allowed to visit for a maximum of 6 months? Am I misinterpreting this law? Is there any other way I can be a Canadian citizen?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I'm not exactly sure what to do to become a Canadian citizen. I'm a citizen in the United States, and my significant other is a Canadian citizen. We are in a long distance relationship, and I visit my partner every summer and winter break because I'm still a student. I plan on moving to Canada after I graduate, but we do not plan on getting married anytime soon. I read that I need to stay in Canada for 2/3 years out of 5 years to be eligible to apply for citizenship. However, I also read that visitors can only stay in Canada for 6 months. How can I stay in Canada for that long, but only be allowed to visit for a maximum of 6 months? Am I misinterpreting this law? Is there any other way I can be a Canadian citizen?
Yes - you are misinterpreting this law. It's not that simple. You cannot apply for citizenship directly. Before becoming a citizen, you must first become a permanent resident of Canada (equivalent to a US green card). To become a PR, you must apply through one of Canada's immigration programs listed here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada.html

Once you have become a PR, you then have to live in Canada sufficient time to qualify and apply for citizenship

Naomi.

Star Member
Jan 26, 2019
Yes - you are misinterpreting this law. It's not that simple. You cannot apply for citizenship directly. Before becoming a citizen, you must first become a permanent resident of Canada (equivalent to a US green card). To become a PR, you must apply through one of Canada's immigration programs listed here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada.html

Once you have become a PR, you then have to live in Canada sufficient time to qualify and apply for citizenship
I took the eligibility test from the link that you sent me and it said I was ineligible. How do I become a permanent resident of Canada? Do I apply online?

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
You must meet the requirements in order to apply for permanent residency. You mention you are a student; are you working on a bachelors, masters, etc?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I took the eligibility test from the link that you sent me and it said I was ineligible. How do I become a permanent resident of Canada? Do I apply online?
If you're ineligible, then you don't meet the requirements to apply for PR at this time.

How you apply depends under which program. You'll need to dedicate time to researching Canada's immigration programs to understand what it takes to qualify. If you are looking to go the economic immigration route (i.e. rather than being sponsored by your partner after getting married or living together for a full year first) - then I would recommend that you look into the Express Entry program. You'll need to have at least one year of full time paid work experience in a skilled profession to qualify. You'll also need to have around $13K saved up to ensure you have funds to establish yourself in Canada. It's a points based system with those with the most points being selected. Points are awarded for things like years of work experience, level of education, age, etc. Right now you need to have around 440 points to be selected.

Naomi.

Star Member
Jan 26, 2019
You must meet the requirements in order to apply for permanent residency. You mention you are a student; are you working on a bachelors, masters, etc?
I'm working on my bachelors degree, graduating in May this year.

If you're ineligible, then you don't meet the requirements to apply for PR at this time.

How you apply depends under which program. You'll need to dedicate time to researching Canada's immigration programs to understand what it takes to qualify. If you are looking to go the economic immigration route (i.e. rather than being sponsored by your partner after getting married or living together for a full year first) - then I would recommend that you look into the Express Entry program. You'll need to have at least one year of full time paid work experience in a skilled profession to qualify. You'll also need to have around $13K saved up to ensure you have funds to establish yourself in Canada. It's a points based system with those with the most points being selected. Points are awarded for things like years of work experience, level of education, age, etc. Right now you need to have around 440 points to be selected.
I see, thanks for the information. However, I don't really plan on working in Canada. Since my partner lives near the U.S. border, I was planning to work in the U.S. Does that change anything?

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
You can visit on your US passport for 6 months at a time. BUT, I imagine eventually border officers will start to question you. If you're living in Canada and working in the US, they could always refuse you entry based on suspicion you may be working illegally in Canada. There are also other things to consider as well. Will you get health insurance in the US, as well as in Canada? Having no status in Canada means you won't be covered under Canadian healthcare, and US insurance plans can get complicated when used outside of the US.

Reactions: amandabear9

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'm working on my bachelors degree, graduating in May this year.

I see, thanks for the information. However, I don't really plan on working in Canada. Since my partner lives near the U.S. border, I was planning to work in the U.S. Does that change anything?
Until you become a PR you won't be able to cross the border daily to go to work easily. The border agents will eventually tell you that you can't live in Canada until you get your PR. Others are able to remain in Canada and apply for PR because they aren't crossing the border. You should remain working in living in the US until you get your PR. Then you can live in Canada and cross into the US daily to work.

Reactions: mgnlky

Naomi.

Star Member
Jan 26, 2019
You can visit on your US passport for 6 months at a time. BUT, I imagine eventually border officers will start to question you. If you're living in Canada and working in the US, they could always refuse you entry based on suspicion you may be working illegally in Canada. There are also other things to consider as well. Will you get health insurance in the US, as well as in Canada? Having no status in Canada means you won't be covered under Canadian healthcare, and US insurance plans can get complicated when used outside of the US.
Since I plan on residing in Canada, and working in the U.S., then I will only be getting health insurance in Canada. I'm sure that border officers will question me if I travel back and forth to Canada and U.S. on a daily basis. That's why I'm trying to learn more about the PR requirements, but there are still things that I'm uncertain about.

Until you become a PR you won't be able to cross the border daily to go to work easily. The border agents will eventually tell you that you can't live in Canada until you get your PR. Others are able to remain in Canada and apply for PR because they aren't crossing the border. You should remain working in living in the US until you get your PR. Then you can live in Canada and cross into the US daily to work.
Yes, I don't quite understand how others can remain in Canada, when visitors can only stay a maximum of 6 months. I'm considering working in the U.S. now that I know that I'm ineligible to apply for PR. However, I don't quite understand the points system if I were to apply for the Express Entry program.

Is there a website that has a list of all that information?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Since I plan on residing in Canada, and working in the U.S., then I will only be getting health insurance in Canada. I'm sure that border officers will question me if I travel back and forth to Canada and U.S. on a daily basis. That's why I'm trying to learn more about the PR requirements, but there are still things that I'm uncertain about.

Yes, I don't quite understand how others can remain in Canada, when visitors can only stay a maximum of 6 months. I'm considering working in the U.S. now that I know that I'm ineligible to apply for PR. However, I don't quite understand the points system if I were to apply for the Express Entry program.

Is there a website that has a list of all that information?

Can't comment whether you are eligible for PR or not but your issue is that you would have to cross the border often if you lived with your Canadian gf and worked in Canada. If you remained in Canada the whole time it would be different. Your gf can sponsor you when you get married or if you become common law. Common law would be difficult if you each want to work in separate countries. In terms of healthcare if you work in the US you're going to have to keep some form of health insurance in the US. You'll be driving 5 days a week in the US and spending 40+ hours there as well. There is a decent chance that you may need to use the healthcare system in the US. Your Canadian coverage will not cover you if you get into a car accident on the way to work or fall and break a bone. Even if you have to go to the doctor for a quick issue you'd need to take a half day to a full day off to go to a quick appointment versus using your lunch hour time.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
No - this doesn't change anything. If you want to be able to live in Canada - you need to be authorized to do so. So you would still need to successfully apply to immigrate - or alternatively come to Canada on a work permit or study permit. Since you are from the US, you should look into the SWAP visa program (I think it's still active) that allows (or used to allow) recent grads to come to Canada temporarily on an open work permit. That's probably the most viable option right now - unless you have plans to complete further education (e.g. Masters) and have the funds required to come to Canada as a full time international student.

Naomi.

Star Member
Jan 26, 2019
I can't seem to find the information about the ones that you listed where I need to have about 13k saved up and the point based system. Which category is that information under?

No - this doesn't change anything. If you want to be able to live in Canada - you need to be authorized to do so. So you would still need to successfully apply to immigrate - or alternatively come to Canada on a work permit or study permit. Since you are from the US, you should look into the SWAP visa program (I think it's still active) that allows (or used to allow) recent grads to come to Canada temporarily on an open work permit. That's probably the most viable option right now - unless you have plans to complete further education (e.g. Masters) and have the funds required to come to Canada as a full time international student.
I plan on doing the Express Entry program like you stated earlier, since I don't mind working for a year and saving up some money. However, with that program, would I need to find a job in Canada, or am I able to still work in the U.S.?

northern sunshine

Mar 22, 2017
USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-06-2018
AOR Received.
12-06-2018
Med's Done....
02-06-2018
Passport Req..
26-07-2018
LANDED..........
23-02-2019
Hi Naomi, I'm an American dating a Canadian as well. If you are looking to qualify for permanent residence (PR) through Express Entry, you are probably looking to use the federal skilled workers (FSW) program. For the FSW program, you must check your score against two sets of criteria:
  1. Eligibility: six selection factors
  2. CRS score (here is the breakdown of how your score is calculated)
To qualify for the FSW program, you must first score 67 or higher on the six selection factors in number 1. Then, to receive an invitation to apply for PR, you must be in the top x number of applicants (currently it's ~3900) in the Express Entry pool. As of recently, this means you will need a CRS score of 440+ (number 2). You can approximate your language exam scores until you actually take the exam, but you should have your formal language scores before making your EE profile.

You are not required to have a job offer in Canada to qualify for PR through the FSW program, although you will get extra points for having one. You are also free to continue working in the United States as long as you are authorized to do so (if you are a US citizen, you are authorized) if you become a Canadian PR.

Lastly, you don't need to be a Canadian citizen to live and work in Canada. Gaining PR status already grants you this right, although you are correct, you can apply for citizenship after living in Canada as a PR for 3 years in a 5 year period.

Naomi.

Star Member
Jan 26, 2019
Hi Naomi, I'm an American dating a Canadian as well. If you are looking to qualify for permanent residence (PR) through Express Entry, you are probably looking to use the federal skilled workers (FSW) program. For the FSW program, you must check your score against two sets of criteria:
  1. Eligibility: six selection factors
  2. CRS score (here is the breakdown of how your score is calculated)
To qualify for the FSW program, you must first score 67 or higher on the six selection factors in number 1. Then, to receive an invitation to apply for PR, you must be in the top x number of applicants (currently it's ~3900) in the Express Entry pool. As of recently, this means you will need a CRS score of 440+ (number 2). You can approximate your language exam scores until you actually take the exam, but you should have your formal language scores before making your EE profile.

You are not required to have a job offer in Canada to qualify for PR through the FSW program, although you will get extra points for having one. You are also free to continue working in the United States as long as you are authorized to do so (if you are a US citizen, you are authorized) if you become a Canadian PR.

Lastly, you don't need to be a Canadian citizen to live and work in Canada. Gaining PR status already grants you this right, although you are correct, you can apply for citizenship after living in Canada as a PR for 3 years in a 5 year period.
Thanks so much for the information! It's really helpful. If you don't mind me asking, did you become a PR through EE? If so, how long did you work/stay in America before you met the qualifications of becoming a PR?