+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

U.S. Citizen, P.R Card under renewal

zamsid

Apr 16, 2011
I am U.S. Citizen, my P.R. Card is under renewal process. I work in canada, I want to travel to U.S. and return. how I can proof my residency since I dont have P.R. card?

Thanks,

zamsid

Apr 16, 2011
But Border Service on both side will ask where am I living? they might say where is your P.R. Card? Don't you think?

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
Confirmation of Permanent Residence.

zamsid

Apr 16, 2011
I emailed Canada Border service about my situation that I am U.S. Citizen and my P.R. Card is under renewal process. Can I travel to U.S. and return to canada? This is what Canada border service reply me.

Thank you for your e-mail seeking clarification on the documentary requirements for permanent residents (PRs).

Note that there are several factors that border services officers must take into account before determining whether a person is admissible into Canada, and each person will be dealt with on a case-by-case basis.

The requirement of subsection 16(1) of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (IRPA) states that a person who makes an application to enter Canada must produce all relevant evidence and documents that satisfies the border services officer (BSO) of their identity and nationality. This is facilitated by providing the BSO with a passport or other document that clearly denotes identity and nationality. The burden of proof to establish that they are admissible to Canada rests with the person seeking entry.

The PR card is the only valid proof of permanent residence status in Canada. The following documents are indicators of permanent resident status in Canada:
• Original Record of Landing (IMM1000)
• A certified true copy of a Record of Landing issued by the Citizenship and Immigration (CIC) National Headquarters
• A letter issued by CIC National Headquarters verifying permanent residence
• A passport duly stamped, showing the date on which permanent resident status was granted if the person was granted permanent resident status before 1973
• A Confirmation of Permanent Residence document (IMM5292B)

Section A19(2) of the IRPA states that "an officer shall allow a permanent resident to enter Canada if satisfied following an examination on their entry that they have that status." Therefore, it is recommended, but not mandatory, to have your PR card in your possession to prove your permanent resident status in Canada at the border. However, you must be able to satisfy the BSO at the port of entry that you are a permanent resident of Canada. This may be accomplished with supporting documentation, including those documents mentioned above, database checks conducted by the officer, and responding truthfully to all questions asked to you by the BSO.
Although the Original Record of Landing (IMM1000) is not considered proof of permanent residence, it will assist the officer in determining that you have status as a PR. Once a BSO is satisfied you are a PR of Canada, you have the right to enter Canada.

Should you have additional questions about your immigration status, you may contact the CIC Web site at http://www.cic.gc.ca/ or the 24-hour call centre at 1-888-242-2100.

We trust that this information is useful to you. Thank you for contacting the Canada Border Services Agency.

AllisonVSC

Champion Member
Nov 5, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo - Conjugal Partner
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-08-2009
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2009
LANDED..........
04-11-2009
So, yes you can travel. Passport and COPR or any of those items in the bulleted list (except the forth one unless you landed before 1973 and still have the old passport) should be enough to get you in. Having other supporting documentation (examples being proof of application for renewal, lease or mortgage doc, proof of employment) as back up would not be ill-advised.