+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Working in Seattle but the sand in the PR hourglass is running out...

nadeem82

Jul 24, 2009
I became a landed Immigrant in Canada on May, 07 but have been living in the U.S. since then. Now from what I understand, I will have to move back to Canada no later than May '10 (and live there for 2 years) to maintain my Canadian PR status, is it correct?

My questions are:

a) Can a person who lost his P.R. status, apply again? Or, does the Canadian Government make it harder for regain P.R. status once lost?
b) If I do move to Canada, say, Vancouver and do the (crazy) commute to Seattle regularly to keep my Job. How will my tax situation play out? Do I pay taxes in both places? Does the fact that I was in U.S. half a day invalidate my Canadian residency day?

Hope to get some help.

Thanks in Advance

Sleepless in Seattle.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You are correct in that you can only be outside Canada for up to 3 years in a 5 year period, 1095 days to be exact.

a) You would be able to apply again but be aware that the rules may have changed and you may have a harder time qualifying now (or easier).

b) A day spent in the US does not come off your residency as long as you stay in Canada overnight. To facilitate easy border crossings, you should get a Nexus card, see http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/menu-eng.html

You would file taxes in both countries but because US and Canada have a tax treaty, you will not be double taxed.

nadeem82

Jul 24, 2009
Thanks, that was helpful information.

One more question, and this probably may not be the right forum to ask this but seeing a lot of people being in a similar situation as me, I will still go for it:

1) I'm on H1B visa here, if I live in Canada (and work in US), do I still get to keep the H1 status?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I don't know if you can be on H1 status if you live in Canada :) As long as you show up to work every day, why not?