+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

PR Renewal - Residency requirement

beenew

Feb 24, 2012
Leon said:
Your wife should send the citizenship department a nice letter point for point explaining to them why she should not need a US travel record and how it is unacceptable that they are using that to delay her citizenship application for the next 5 to 7 years without a good reason. She should send this letter in registered mail and a copy of it to her MP. Then see what happens ;) Maybe nothing will happen but it is worth a try. In her point for point letter, she should include all new evidence for her living in Canada when she did and evidence for that she did not have a US visa, copy of her passport, all pages, something about her application for a green card, you must have the date when she received it etc.

I am not prone to fainting and besides, I am sitting down already :)
Leon,
I appreciate for your guidance and input. I will keep you posted.

Leon said:
1) Since your US employer transferred you to Canada and not the other way around, I don't think your job protects your PR. However, you seem to have enough days in Canada anyway.
Does it really matters if I was transferred or is it sufficient that I am employed by a Canadian employer?

FYI - I checked with the border agent about what will happen if I have my PR renewal pending and do not get the renewed PR card before current one expires. He suggested that I will be able to commute daily as long as I have my PR card. If for any reason I have submitted my original PR card they will still let me commute daily if I have color copy of my original PR card. I checked with two border agents - the first one could not understand my question at all and his quote was as long as you have this card I will let you in, but the second agent was able to give me detail guidance that I quoted above

I hope this will help somebody and / or somebody with similar experience can confirm if this is true or the information is incorrect. I plan to ask many more border agents to get clear understanding

Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
beenew said:
Does it really matters if I was transferred or is it sufficient that I am employed by a Canadian employer?
Yes because they want people to get PR and live in Canada. They do not want you to get PR and then go overseas and get a job there working for a Canadian employer. However, if you start working for a Canadian employer in Canada and they transfer you to an overseas branch, they do not hold it against you.