+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

U can not be pregrant while doing ur first landing??

issac1990

Star Member
Jul 30, 2017
Sharjah
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
21-09-2017
You can be pregnant when you land but if you are, it would be better to settle in a province with first day health care and have the baby in Canada rather than go home and have it there. The reason being that if your baby is born outside Canada, you will have to sponsor it for PR. You must be residing in Canada in order to sponsor but your baby may not be granted a TRV to come with you. This may then cause you to have to split up your family with one parent going to Canada to sponsor the baby while the other stays with the baby back home. The separation can last for months depending on how long the processing times are in your visa office.

If however you are pregnant while applying for PR and you realize that the baby will be born before you can land, you must return your PR visa to the visa office if you already got it, otherwise notify them and tell them to hold off on it and you need to ask the visa office to add your baby to your application when it is born. If you give birth to the baby and then land on a visa you already got that does not include the baby, you will have a big problem. You will have committed misrepresentation by not adding the baby plus you will never be allowed to sponsor it.
Hi Leon,

Just came to know my wife is one month pregnant
9expected delivery in October 2018) and we got our immigrant visa 2 months back. We were planning to land in Calgary by end of May. But now am really confused. Should i inform CIC regarding her pregnancy? how much will it cost to take care of their medical expenses? i am expecting only survival jobs to start with. Would you recommend me to sent her back for delivery ,while I ll stay back in Calgary?
Your inputs will be of great help....

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Leon,

9expected delivery in October 2018) and we got our immigrant visa 2 months back. We were planning to land in Calgary by end of May. But now am really confused. Should i inform CIC regarding her pregnancy? how much will it cost to take care of their medical expenses? i am expecting only survival jobs to start with. Would you recommend me to sent her back for delivery ,while I ll stay back in Calgary?
Wait until you visit the AHCIP registry in Calgary and talk to staff there. Your wife will probably get instant provincial healthcare and covered the delivery and other medical expense.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Hi Leon,

You don't need to inform anyone about the pregnancy. As long as the child is not born before the PR landing, you are fine.

Sending her back to home country for delivery will complicate things since the baby will need to then be sponsored for PR while at least 1 parent lives in Canada, so may be separated from your family for around a year.

In Alberta they offer full healthcare immediately upon landing as PR, so all pregnancy and delivery related costs should be covered, and child would be born a Canadian citizen.

R

rish888

You don't need to inform anyone about the pregnancy. As long as the child is not born before the PR landing, you are fine.

Sending her back to home country for delivery will complicate things since the baby will need to then be sponsored for PR while at least 1 parent lives in Canada, so may be separated from your family for around a year.

In Alberta they offer full healthcare immediately upon landing as PR, so all pregnancy and delivery related costs should be covered, and child would be born a Canadian citizen.
Agreed. Best to give birth in Canada so your kid is born Canadian. Healthcare will be covered from day 1.

issac1990

Star Member
Jul 30, 2017
Sharjah
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
21-09-2017

thanks for sharing this.. Now i am more inclined towards getting the baby delivered in Canada.

issac1990

Star Member
Jul 30, 2017
Sharjah
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
21-09-2017
but i read in some posts that pregnancy prior to landing wont be covered in the health insurance? just being curious...

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
but i read in some posts that pregnancy prior to landing wont be covered in the health insurance? just being curious...
In Alberta it is. You have to plan settling in Alberta and living in Alberta in order to get coverage. You can't go and give birth in Alberta and then move to Ontario.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
In Alberta it is. You have to plan settling in Alberta and living in Alberta in order to get coverage. You can't go and give birth in Alberta and then move to Ontario.
Nothing to worry now. Just go to the registry and ask.

issac1990

Star Member
Jul 30, 2017
Sharjah
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
21-09-2017
thank you all... I had plans only for Calgary.. being a Mechanical Engineer... I am also under the process of getting enrolled as EIT with APEGA.

R

rish888

thank you all... I had plans only for Calgary.. being a Mechanical Engineer... I am also under the process of getting enrolled as EIT with APEGA.
Calgary is good, as others have mentioned, Alberta gives coverage from day 1.

Healthcare in Canada is a provincial thing, so different provinces have different regs. (thus the contradicting info you see.)

Alberta is one of the provinces that gives coverage from day 1.

roannezelle01

Feb 21, 2018
Hi just got to know that im pregnant for 4 weeks my fiances and i still not married and i will be migrating and land in manitoba canada on march 12 , 2018. Can anyone recommend which private health insurance i can get . For my pregnancy . Thanks

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Hi just got to know that im pregnant for 4 weeks my fiances and i still not married and i will be migrating and land in manitoba canada on march 12 , 2018. Can anyone recommend which private health insurance i can get . For my pregnancy . Thanks
So did you read this link on when new PRs qualify for coverage, see the new to Canada section

https://www.gov.mb.ca/health/mhsip/index.html#Q3

https://www.gov.mb.ca/health/primarycare/public/access/maternal/midwifery.html

Last edited:

roannezelle01

Feb 21, 2018
Thanks for that i will check on this . And if do u know other than the provincial heath care . I am looking as well for private medical insurance for my travel to cananda and for my 9 year old son . Can u recommend any . Thanks

Krihit

Jul 25, 2018
Hi. I am 4 months pregnant and the primary applicant in our OINP application. We have received the nomination and ITE, the medical and lung X-ray is also completed. However, we are not sure by when we will get the final PR and be able to travel to Canada.
I would like to know what is the process in case we get our PR in the next 3-4 months and what will happen with the Visa?
In case we don't get the Visa and add the baby after his birth, when will me and my husband be able to travel and when will the baby get the PR?
In case we do get the Visa and plan to go ahead with the delivery in Canada itself, what will be the incurring costs approximately? We are really confused and looking for the right guidance.
Also, till what month is a pregnant woman allowed to travel to Canada?

Thank You

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi. I am 4 months pregnant and the primary applicant in our OINP application. We have received the nomination and ITE, the medical and lung X-ray is also completed. However, we are not sure by when we will get the final PR and be able to travel to Canada.
I would like to know what is the process in case we get our PR in the next 3-4 months and what will happen with the Visa?
In case we don't get the Visa and add the baby after his birth, when will me and my husband be able to travel and when will the baby get the PR?
In case we do get the Visa and plan to go ahead with the delivery in Canada itself, what will be the incurring costs approximately? We are really confused and looking for the right guidance.
Also, till what month is a pregnant woman allowed to travel to Canada?

Thank You
You should be aware that it takes 3 months to get health coverage in Ontario after landing. You would have to pay for care and delivery if you haven't completed the 3 months. This will likely factor into your decision. Would plan for $10K for vaginal delivery and $20K for c-section. You will need to pay for prenatal care as well. Prices can always change with any complications.