+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

U can not be pregrant while doing ur first landing??

mastfadi

May 24, 2013
Qatar
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-08-2013
Doc's Request.
Sent with Application
Nomination.....
PER : 13-11-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
Med's Request
19-June-2014
Med's Done....
15-July-2014
Passport Req..
PPR1: 21-July-2014::PPR2:3-Aug-2014
VISA ISSUED...
08-Aug-2014
LANDED..........
01-May-2015
Hello Guys,

I have read on these forums and seen cases where people get their Immigrant visas and then do their landing while they are pregnant. My friend migrated to Canada under the same FSWP and now he is in Canada, he told me that when I am doing the first landing and if the immigration officer finds out that my wife is pregnant, there is a chance that they will not allow us to enter Canada and may turn us back, as it is not allowed to do your first landing while you are pregnant. Can anyone here confirm this to me as this is the first time I am hearing this.

Would appreciate.

Thanks in advance

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can be pregnant when you land but if you are, it would be better to settle in a province with first day health care and have the baby in Canada rather than go home and have it there. The reason being that if your baby is born outside Canada, you will have to sponsor it for PR. You must be residing in Canada in order to sponsor but your baby may not be granted a TRV to come with you. This may then cause you to have to split up your family with one parent going to Canada to sponsor the baby while the other stays with the baby back home. The separation can last for months depending on how long the processing times are in your visa office.

If however you are pregnant while applying for PR and you realize that the baby will be born before you can land, you must return your PR visa to the visa office if you already got it, otherwise notify them and tell them to hold off on it and you need to ask the visa office to add your baby to your application when it is born. If you give birth to the baby and then land on a visa you already got that does not include the baby, you will have a big problem. You will have committed misrepresentation by not adding the baby plus you will never be allowed to sponsor it.

Steevy

May 31, 2014
Vancouver
Agree with Leon

You are allowed to enter Canada if you are pregnant. The other thing is that whether you want the delivery, etc. to be covered.

1. If you a regular Visitor to Canada and not yet pregnant and only planning to have a child in Canada you may apply for a private insurance plan that covers up to 80% of the cost for prenatal care, delivery, and nursing care for a maximum of $10,000. In order to be eligible for such benefits you will have to wait at least a months after the effective date to get pregnant.

2. If you are a Visitor to Canada/PR and already pregnant at the moment you enter Canada, you are only eligible for a private medical insurance plan that covers pregnancy related emergencies including bleeding, abdominal pain, miscarriage, etc. up to the 31st week of the pregnancy period. Unfortunately, delivery, physical examination and pre-natal care are not covered with this plan.

If you are eligible for a Provincial Health Care, but there is a waiting period, you may still opt for the plan that covers pregnancy-related emergencies just to be safe until you receive your health card. If you have not decided which province to come to, you may choose the one with no waiting period for the government healthcare like Leon said.

Hope it somewhat helps ;D

arjoi

Sep 13, 2014
Hi Good afternoon

I apllied for fswp last sept 29, just waiting for the next step.

My concern is that, i've learned last week that i am 6 weeks pregnant? I am the principal applicant.

My dependents are my husband and son, my question is, will my pregnancy affect our application? Pls reply. Thanks

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
arjoi said:
Hi Good afternoon

I apllied for fswp last sept 29, just waiting for the next step.

My concern is that, i've learned last week that i am 6 weeks pregnant? I am the principal applicant.

My dependents are my husband and son, my question is, will my pregnancy affect our application? Pls reply. Thanks
It will likely delay your application. When you get asked to do the medicals, it is up to you if you get the lung x-ray with a lead apron or if you delay it until the baby is born. If the baby is born before you can land as a PR, you must add the baby to your application so the baby can get a PR visa as well.

zig321

Star Member
Feb 11, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
-
File Transfer...
-
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
Leon said:
You can be pregnant when you land but if you are, it would be better to settle in a province with first day health care and have the baby in Canada rather than go home and have it there. The reason being that if your baby is born outside Canada, you will have to sponsor it for PR. You must be residing in Canada in order to sponsor but your baby may not be granted a TRV to come with you. This may then cause you to have to split up your family with one parent going to Canada to sponsor the baby while the other stays with the baby back home. The separation can last for months depending on how long the processing times are in your visa office.

If however you are pregnant while applying for PR and you realize that the baby will be born before you can land, you must return your PR visa to the visa office if you already got it, otherwise notify them and tell them to hold off on it and you need to ask the visa office to add your baby to your application when it is born. If you give birth to the baby and then land on a visa you already got that does not include the baby, you will have a big problem. You will have committed misrepresentation by not adding the baby plus you will never be allowed to sponsor it.

hi

can u plz guide if this applies to a PR card holder but not residing in canada?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
zig321 said:
hi

can u plz guide if this applies to a PR card holder but not residing in canada?
The first part applies to a PR holder but the 2nd doesn't. That is, a PR will not be passed on to your baby born outside Canada and you would have to sponsor it for PR.

zig321

Star Member
Feb 11, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Abu Dhabi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
IELTS Request
-
File Transfer...
-
Med's Request
Med's Done....
Interview........
-
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
thanks for applying leon

things. really messed up with me :(
PR and pregnancy :(

shell80

Dec 10, 2014
please help me...

Hi everybody,
I'm a new PR, landed 2013 in Ontario and received my PR and health card, but didn't finish the 153 days stay after receiving my OHIP. Because I had to travel out of Canada for my husband's work and my studies (I'm a Ph.D candidate and also my husband is a Ph.D candidate till Feb 2015, too). Now I'm 4 months pregnant and I need to give birth in Canada or my baby would get stuck and don't know how I can bring him back to Canada.

1) My Question is if I didn't stay for 153 days immediately after residency will I still be eligible for OHIP coverage when giving birth in May 2015? I'll be staying more than 153 days in 12 months totally when I come back, but not before giving birth.

2) How they can check my PHYSICAL presence in Toronto and my OHIP card validity?

2) If my OHIP card ( Ontario Health insurance plan) is valid, then I want to deliver my baby in Vancouver in May 2015. I will come to BC in February 2015. I want to know if my OHIP card cover my costs there( such as blood tests, ultrasound and doctor visits during pregnancy)? and in waiting period for BC health card may I use my OHIP card?

Please tell me what to do, because I'm totally lost and worry about this problem. :'( :(
thanks

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Re: please help me...

shell80 said:
Hi everybody,
I'm a new PR, landed 2013 in Ontario and received my PR and health card, but didn't finish the 153 days stay after receiving my OHIP. Because I had to travel out of Canada for my husband's work and my studies (I'm a Ph.D candidate and also my husband is a Ph.D candidate till Feb 2015, too). Now I'm 4 months pregnant and I need to give birth in Canada or my baby would get stuck and don't know how I can bring him back to Canada.
1) You will be eligible provided you return to Canada at least three months before you give birth. I would recommend that you return as soon as possible in January in case your baby is born early.
2) Yes - you can have your baby in BC. The three month waiting period for medical coverage will still apply. Any medical costs between the time you arrive in Canada and the time you complete your three month waiting period will be up to you to pay out of your own pocket. So this means that YOU will have to pay for any blood tests, ultrasounds, doctor visits, etc. that happen between the time you arrive in Canada and the end of the three month waiting period. I would strongly recommend against trying to cheat the system by using your health card during the three month period when you are not eligible to do so. When people are caught doing this, the province goes after them for the costs of the treatments and they typically end up paying a lot more than they would if they had just paid the costs themselves. This can also result in having your provincial health care coverage suspended while the province investigates your case.

arjoi

Sep 13, 2014
Leon said:
It will likely delay your application. When you get asked to do the medicals, it is up to you if you get the lung x-ray with a lead apron or if you delay it until the baby is born. If the baby is born before you can land as a PR, you must add the baby to your application so the baby can get a PR visa as well.
Thanks.

RSAjala

Jul 7, 2014
Hello, I applied under FSW in May 2014 and received my MR last week which we have done & results sent to our visa office. I am currently pregnant and intend to land in Ontario. My baby is due in May and I learnt that I would not be eligible for OHIP until after 90 days. Can anyone help with how much it will cost to deliver my baby as a private individual or if there are any affordable plans for landed immigrants in Ontario.

Thank you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
RSAjala said:
Hello, I applied under FSW in May 2014 and received my MR last week which we have done & results sent to our visa office. I am currently pregnant and intend to land in Ontario. My baby is due in May and I learnt that I would not be eligible for OHIP until after 90 days. Can anyone help with how much it will cost to deliver my baby as a private individual or if there are any affordable plans for landed immigrants in Ontario.

Thank you.
The cost will likely be a few thousand $. I have heard of 4 to 5 as being on the low cost side. Could easily be 6 to 8 and if there are complications even more. Midwives are free in Ontario so if you give birth at home with a midwife, it could be free but if you have a problem and have to be taken to hospital, you will pay.

There is no plan that covers childbirth when you are already pregnant. I have heard of one that covers childbirth if you get it before you get pregnant, that is baby born 10 months or later after you signed up for the plan and I have heard of a plan that covers pregnancy related emergencies but not child birth.

RSAjala

Jul 7, 2014
Thanks for your input Leon. I'll guess I'll have to consider landing in another province where I can get medical insurance immediately I land.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Leon said:
The cost will likely be a few thousand $. I have heard of 4 to 5 as being on the low cost side. Could easily be 6 to 8 and if there are complications even more. Midwives are free in Ontario so if you give birth at home with a midwife, it could be free but if you have a problem and have to be taken to hospital, you will pay
Should also note that in many Ontario cities midwives are in VERY high demand, so if you don't secure one soon after first discovering you're pregnant, you may not even get one if they don't have space available, and will be put on a waiting list. Someone moving to Canada shouldn't rely on getting a midwife if late in pregnancy.

RSAjala said:
Thanks for your input Leon. I'll guess I'll have to consider landing in another province where I can get medical insurance immediately I land.
Keep in mind if you go to a province that give you healthcare immediately (like Alberta), you need to commit to living in that province a certain amount of time (usually around 6 months) after the delivery. If you don't meet their residency requirement and quickly move out the province after, they will come after you for all the costs.