+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

U can not be pregrant while doing ur first landing??

Krihit

Jul 25, 2018
You should be aware that it takes 3 months to get health coverage in Ontario after landing. You would have to pay for care and delivery if you haven't completed the 3 months. This will likely factor into your decision. Would plan for $10K for vaginal delivery and $20K for c-section. You will need to pay for prenatal care as well. Prices can always change with any complications.
Do they cause delays in processing the Visa if a woman is pregnant? If yes, about how much delay can we expect?

imgurpreet

Oct 17, 2018
Hi,

First of all I would like to say thanks to all of you for clearing the queries so beautifully. You all are so helpful.

Although I have gone through the posts but I still have some confusion and want some confirmation on that.

I am the principal applicant. I have got my CoPR in the month of Nov. 2018 and the expiry date is around end of July 2019. I filled Ontario as the destination in the application.

I want to know which will be the ideal case for us as we are planning for baby. We are late in having the baby so thinking about having treatment in India to get conceived before our first PR landing. If my wife gets pregnant before our first PR landing. Do we in that case need to inform CIC or any authority that she is pregnant now? As this is a change in medical condition.

I know if we land there with my wife pregnant then we need to bear the medical expenses as healthcare is available after 90 days after landing there (we can look for private insurance if any available for this medical support).

Or you suggest we don't go for the conceiving treatment now and we first do our first landing and then get the PR card etc. and come back to India and get the treatment for conceiving and then once pregnancy is detected we fly back to Canada? Do we need to inform any authority about the pregnancy?

As having the baby in India will again create complications as one of us will have to go to Canada and apply for sponsorship for our child.

We are confused please help in planning things better.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi,

First of all I would like to say thanks to all of you for clearing the queries so beautifully. You all are so helpful.

Although I have gone through the posts but I still have some confusion and want some confirmation on that.

I am the principal applicant. I have got my CoPR in the month of Nov. 2018 and the expiry date is around end of July 2019. I filled Ontario as the destination in the application.

I want to know which will be the ideal case for us as we are planning for baby. We are late in having the baby so thinking about having treatment in India to get conceived before our first PR landing. If my wife gets pregnant before our first PR landing. Do we in that case need to inform CIC or any authority that she is pregnant now? As this is a change in medical condition.

I know if we land there with my wife pregnant then we need to bear the medical expenses as healthcare is available after 90 days after landing there (we can look for private insurance if any available for this medical support).

Or you suggest we don't go for the conceiving treatment now and we first do our first landing and then get the PR card etc. and come back to India and get the treatment for conceiving and then once pregnancy is detected we fly back to Canada? Do we need to inform any authority about the pregnancy?

As having the baby in India will again create complications as one of us will have to go to Canada and apply for sponsorship for our child.

We are confused please help in planning things better.
IVF or IUI usually requires very close monitoring for at least the 1st trimester. Insurance usually doesn't cover pregnancies although I hear there are some policies that cover emergencies in the 1st and 2nd trimester but not sure how expensive those policies are. Some policies cover pregnancy if purchased before conception but seeking fertility treatments likely notifies the policy. You will have to pay for all regular doctor's appointments and tests until your OHIP starts.

imgurpreet

Oct 17, 2018
IVF or IUI usually requires very close monitoring for at least the 1st trimester. Insurance usually doesn't cover pregnancies although I hear there are some policies that cover emergencies in the 1st and 2nd trimester but not sure how expensive those policies are. Some policies cover pregnancy if purchased before conception but seeking fertility treatments likely notifies the policy. You will have to pay for all regular doctor's appointments and tests until your OHIP starts.
Thanks Canuck78, the other question is that if my wife gets pregnant before our first landing then do we need to inform any authorities about this? Like if she gets pregnant in January or February and we plan to fly in Feb or March then do we need to inform them ?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks Canuck78, the other question is that if my wife gets pregnant before our first landing then do we need to inform any authorities about this? Like if she gets pregnant in January or February and we plan to fly in Feb or March then do we need to inform them ?
No you don't have to inform CIC. Make sure you either have the money to pay for healthcare (any unexpected hospitalizations) or buy emergency healthcare if available. Unless you have a lot of savings it would be best to secure employment and a place to live before getting pregnant. Fertility treatments have a higher rate of miscarriages and women need to be followed almost weekly especially at the beginning.

imgurpreet

Oct 17, 2018
No you don't have to inform CIC. Make sure you either have the money to pay for healthcare (any unexpected hospitalizations) or buy emergency healthcare if available. Unless you have a lot of savings it would be best to secure employment and a place to live before getting pregnant. Fertility treatments have a higher rate of miscarriages and women need to be followed almost weekly especially at the beginning.
Thank you so much.. that was really helpful. I will write again if I have any other questions.

imgurpreet

Oct 17, 2018
Does OHIP supports during the 9 months pregnancy process ? How much expenses OHIP supports and when do we start getting the benefits? I heard about something like living there for some 157+ days. So does that mean the health card is available earlier to that but we start getting the benefits after completing that much days of residing there?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Does OHIP supports during the 9 months pregnancy process ? How much expenses OHIP supports and when do we start getting the benefits? I heard about something like living there for some 157+ days. So does that mean the health card is available earlier to that but we start getting the benefits after completing that much days of residing there?
Have you googled OHIP? It is all explained. https://www.ontario.ca/page/apply-ohip-and-get-health-card

You must wait 3 months to receive coverage even if you are pregnant. You won't get a card saying you have coverage until the 3 months have passed. You can only be out of Ontario for one month during the first 6 months and must be in Ontario for 153 days in every year. Also Ontario must be your permanent home. OHIP only covers doctors visits, tests and hospital stays. Your medication must be paid by you if you are over 25.

imgurpreet

Oct 17, 2018
Hi all/Canuck78,

We are thinking we of getting IVF done before moving to Canada on CoPR. As the first trimester is crucial after getting IVF done, will there be any problem from airline or CIC if we travel in 4th to 6th month of pregnancy?

imgurpreet

Oct 17, 2018
One more question, though its bit out of context. Are travel cheque’s or drafts not accepted when we land in Canada and they confirm POF(proof of funds). Someone suggested me to carry Cash cards loaded with CAD (having bills as proof showing the amount loaded) in place of TC or TD. Which will be the better option?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi all/Canuck78,

We are thinking we of getting IVF done before moving to Canada on CoPR. As the first trimester is crucial after getting IVF done, will there be any problem from airline or CIC if we travel in 4th to 6th month of pregnancy?
There shouldn't be an issue with the airline but I can't really speak with them. What if you end up with multiples? High risk pregnancy? Are you prepared to pay for all the medical appointments in Canada without OHIP? Arriving at 6 months puts you at risk of paying for a delivery in Canada. Your whole plan puts you at high risk of paying for quite a lot of medical care in Ontario. What if the pregnancy is high risk and your wife can't fly?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
One more question, though its bit out of context. Are travel cheque’s or drafts not accepted when we land in Canada and they confirm POF(proof of funds). Someone suggested me to carry Cash cards loaded with CAD (having bills as proof showing the amount loaded) in place of TC or TD. Which will be the better option?
You only need to carry your bank statement for POF. Don't get TC or bank draft. No need to bring large amount of cash with you.

imgurpreet

Oct 17, 2018
There shouldn't be an issue with the airline but I can't really speak with them. What if you end up with multiples? High risk pregnancy? Are you prepared to pay for all the medical appointments in Canada without OHIP? Arriving at 6 months puts you at risk of paying for a delivery in Canada. Your whole plan puts you at high risk of paying for quite a lot of medical care in Ontario. What if the pregnancy is high risk and your wife can't fly?
I understand, I also heard OHIP giving one free cycle of IVF in a lifetime? Is that still open ? So, if we just get the OHIP and after three months in Canada we can gonfor IVF there only if it is supported bu OHIP free of cost.