+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Type of work as postdocoral fellow

parvaaneh

Aug 8, 2013
Dear All,

Hi! :) I want to apply online for a temporary work permit as a postdoctoral fellow. When you apply online you first have to answer the eligibility assessment questions. One of the questions is:

What type of work permit do you want to apply for?

The answers I'm hesitant between are:

1. A work permit for academic exchange, research or training
2. A work permit with a labor market opinion exemption
3. a post-graduate work permit

Does anyone know which one I should choose?

This is really important because based on the answer the documents I need to upload are different. Any help will be much appreciated.

Cheers,

parvaaneh

Aug 8, 2013
And I also have another question, could you please help?

In the required documents it is stated that I need two things from my employer, 1. Job offer 2. contract

The university has sent me only one document which includes the job offer and contract together. In other words the document starts with this sentence:
"It is our pleasure to offer you a postdoctoral position at ...." and then the contract details are given.

Now the question when I'm uploading the materials is it alright to upload the given contract twice, as a job offer and contract or should I ask the university to give me another letter with only the job offer in it?

Thanks a lot for any help!! ;)

Auone

Aug 20, 2013
London, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP_Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
parvaaneh said:
And I also have another question, could you please help?

In the required documents it is stated that I need two things from my employer, 1. Job offer 2. contract

The university has sent me only one document which includes the job offer and contract together. In other words the document starts with this sentence:
"It is our pleasure to offer you a postdoctoral position at ...." and then the contract details are given.

Now the question when I'm uploading the materials is it alright to upload the given contract twice, as a job offer and contract or should I ask the university to give me another letter with only the job offer in it?

Thanks a lot for any help!! ;)
Hi parvaaneh,

Ive also applied for a TWP with the same job offer. Which university will you be joining?

As for your questions, I have applied based on paper application from Islamabad, so I didn't come across those questions, however, for your first question, actually option 1. and 2. both apply :p. I would have chosen option 2., since Postdoc Fellow jobs are LMO exempt and they do require a work permit.

As for the letter and contract, just attach the same letter twice. What's important is that the letter should clearly mention the offered position, your employment duration, the salary and the fact that the offered position does not require clearance from HRSDC (i.e., it is LMO exempt)

parvaaneh

Aug 8, 2013
Hi Auone,

Thanks for the reply!

Actually if I select the first one, I have to submit research proposal, Employer Questionnaire and Declaration and educational degrees but if I select the second one these aren't required! I don't have problem in giving these documents but as the online procedure is a bit different from paper one I should go step by step in uploading these documents.

I've got the offer from Dalhousie. When have you applied? I saw from the site that processing times in the Islamabad office for Temporary work is 9 months. Does it really take this long?

parvaaneh

Aug 8, 2013
By the way Auone,

Did you give a Language certificate with your application? Do we need to provide that too? Because my Language certificate is expired and if it is required I plan to submit my application and then give a language test again in case they ask me to give one! Thanks a lot for your help in advance :)

Auone

Aug 20, 2013
London, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP_Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
parvaaneh said:
By the way Auone,

Did you give a Language certificate with your application? Do we need to provide that too? Because my Language certificate is expired and if it is required I plan to submit my application and then give a language test again in case they ask me to give one! Thanks a lot for your help in advance :)
Well for your first comment, select the second one. With postdoc fellow position, you dont have to submit research proposal etc. in ur visa application. You will, however, have to submit proof of PhD completion. I think the time given on the website is for every profession and every type of application. I've heard people getting work permits in about 2 months aswell, from CHC islamabad.

I did not submit any language testing proof. Since I did my masters and PhD from UK, I thought it might not be required. Neither did the university require this from me. Language testing is more of a requirement from the employer rather than the visa office, but I could be wrong.

Which visa office are you applying from?

parvaaneh

Aug 8, 2013
Auone said:
Well for your first comment, select the second one. With postdoc fellow position, you dont have to submit research proposal etc. in ur visa application. You will, however, have to submit proof of PhD completion. I think the time given on the website is for every profession and every type of application. I've heard people getting work permits in about 2 months aswell, from CHC islamabad.

I did not submit any language testing proof. Since I did my masters and PhD from UK, I thought it might not be required. Neither did the university require this from me. Language testing is more of a requirement from the employer rather than the visa office, but I could be wrong.

Which visa office are you applying from?
Thanks! I'm applying online but as I'm an Iranian citizen the application will go to the office in Turkey.

Auone

Aug 20, 2013
London, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP_Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
parvaaneh said:
Thanks! I'm applying online but as I'm an Iranian citizen the application will go to the office in Turkey.
Ok. So how long does it take for Iraninan citizens to get visa? On average?

parvaaneh

Aug 8, 2013
Auone said:
Ok. So how long does it take for Iraninan citizens to get visa? On average?
Unfortunately I don't know anyone who has applied for work permit. All my friends are applying for student visa which according to them takes about 2-3 months and I expect for TW it will be more :(

Auone

Aug 20, 2013
London, ON
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP_Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
parvaaneh said:
Unfortunately I don't know anyone who has applied for work permit. All my friends are applying for student visa which according to them takes about 2-3 months and I expect for TW it will be more :(
Hmm, here in Pakistan, I think student visas were mostly taking around a month to process.....I observed this while going through the threads and forums covering Pakistani students who had applied for study permits for canada.....

For work permits, again, the processing times vary from case to case. Postdoc fellows belong to highly skilled class of workers, so there a few positives that give some hope. Anyways, best of luck to both of us! :p 8)

parvaaneh

Aug 8, 2013
Auone said:
Hmm, here in Pakistan, I think student visas were mostly taking around a month to process.....I observed this while going through the threads and forums covering Pakistani students who had applied for study permits for canada.....

For work permits, again, the processing times vary from case to case. Postdoc fellows belong to highly skilled class of workers, so there a few positives that give some hope. Anyways, best of luck to both of us! :p 8)
I also hope that the processing time for postdoc would be less than indicated on the website!! Yes I agree with wishing best luck for everybody including us ;D

arash64

Nov 10, 2013
Hi Parvaneh,

What is the status of your postdoc visa application? please give an update, and I will also have some couple of more questions.

Thanks a lot,
Arash

parvaaneh

Aug 8, 2013
Hi Arash,

I haven't received my visa yet, but I have been asked security questions... so it seems to have entered the security check phase.

Cheers,
Parvaaneh

canand

Jun 30, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC -Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 9 2016
Doc's Request.
Nov 2, Jan 20, Jan 26
AOR Received.
Oct 9 2016
This thread has been very helpful to me. Did any of you have issues applying in the LMO category? I am in the visa application process currently. I do not have a contract per se. Just an offer letter. If any of you could provide your experience it would really help in my application.

Thank you!

Aug 31, 2020
Dear Parvaaneh,

I am applying online for a temporary work permit as a postdoctoral fellow and, I am at the same situation that you. But, I am not sure if the "work permit for academic exchange, research or training" is the correct one.

Please, can you tell me if you obtained approval for your work permit by choosing the option 1?

Sincerely,
Luis