+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Two Work Permits Simultaneously?

Osius

May 26, 2020
Hi all,

is it possible to apply for a BOWP, even though I am on a closed work permit, which is pretty fresh and expires in about two years.
I got the closed work permit through my paper based PNP application, which I submitted in November 2020 (waiting for a file number).

So far so good!

In the meantime I was also invited to apply through the CEC stream which I have submitted in February 2021 (received AOR already).
I think I am going to withdraw my PNP application soon.

Unfortunately, things have changed at my current work place and we lost due to the pandemic a bunch of big clients, meaning the work load is going to be much less and
there is a big chance that some of the employees get laid off, including me :/

So my question is, can I apply for BOWP?

I though it doesn't hurt to be proactive and apply for one.
I'd like to avoid waiting for a new open work permit after loosing my job.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thank you all in advance

and have a nice weekend :)

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi all,

is it possible to apply for a BOWP, even though I am on a closed work permit, which is pretty fresh and expires in about two years.
I got the closed work permit through my paper based PNP application, which I submitted in November 2020 (waiting for a file number).

So far so good!

In the meantime I was also invited to apply through the CEC stream which I have submitted in February 2021 (received AOR already).
I think I am going to withdraw my PNP application soon.

Unfortunately, things have changed at my current work place and we lost due to the pandemic a bunch of big clients, meaning the work load is going to be much less and
there is a big chance that some of the employees get laid off, including me :/

So my question is, can I apply for BOWP?

I though it doesn't hurt to be proactive and apply for one.
I'd like to avoid waiting for a new open work permit after loosing my job.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thank you all in advance

and have a nice weekend :)
1. No, you can't apply for BOWP as your work permit expires in more that 4 months. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/work-canada/extend-permit/bridging-open-work-permit.html

• live in Canada (Quebec not included)
  • have a valid work permit that expires in 4 months or less

Osius

May 26, 2020
Ok, thank you LMM!
And what if my common-law partner gets her PR?
Am I then eligible to apply, even though my closed work permit expires in more than 4 month?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Ok, thank you LMM!
And what if my common-law partner gets her PR?
Am I then eligible to apply, even though my closed work permit expires in more than 4 month?
If your common law partner gets PR, then you should be included in the application and get PR at the same time. Once you have PR, you don't need a work permit.