+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Two or More Certificates, Degrees or Diploma - Let's Get it Sorted

FarrukhAli

Sep 19, 2019
I hold two bachelor's and two master's degree. Would it increase my score beyond 135?

Thank you for your help in advance

juanhernandez

Sep 4, 2019
Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees

So lately there has been a lot of confusion about the option to choose "Two or more degrees, diploma" in the CRS Calculator. Many people are worried if their qualification comes under this. So lets get it sorted out for once and all.

First of all, when you create an Express Entry profile, there is no such option of selecting "two or more degrees, diplomas" in the Education section. In the EE profile, you just need to enter each of your qualifications, as per ECA. Once you enter all the details, the system calculates the points for Education and Skill Transfer-ability factor, on its own, using this data. So just enter the details as per the ECA and the points will be calculated.

But some people want to know, before creating the EE profile, whether they can claim points for two or more degrees, diplomas.

In that case, first get an ECA for your educational qualifications. Without an ECA, its hard to predict whether you will be eligible to claim points for two or more degrees. Once you have the ECA, please refer to the following link and if your ECA equivalency is mentioned there, you are eligible:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/become-candidate/eligibility/education-assessed/read-report.html

Many people get confused with the wordings in the above link, where it mentions:

Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees.
Important notice: One must be for a program of three or more years.

ECA assessment results:

A three-year or more certificate, diploma, or degree

PLUS any of the results in the sections below (not including secondary/high school), or:
  • Post-Bachelor's Certificate
  • Post-undergraduate certificate
  • Post-Bachelor's Diploma
  • Post-undergraduate diploma
  • Graduate Certificate
  • Graduate Certificate with a focus in [area of concentration]
  • Postgraduate certificate
  • Postgraduate Diploma
  • Graduate Diploma with a focus in [area of concentration]
  • Graduate diploma
  • two-year Postgraduate Diploma, specializing in [name of discipline]
  • two-year Bachelor’s after degree with a focus in [area of concentration]
  • one-year Postgraduate Certificate in [name of discipline]
  • Dual Bachelor’s degree (four years)
The above highlighted part (in red) specifically mentions that if your ECA Equivalency in mentioned in the below sections too, you are eligible to claim points for two or more degrees.

The sections are:

Bachelor’s degree or other programs (three or more years) at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute

Two-year degree, diploma or certificate from a program at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute

One-year degree, diploma or certificate from a program at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute

Please note that you should have at least one of the credential in your ECA must be for 3 or more years, in order to claim the points under this category.

Also, there has been a misconception that the second diploma/degree should be after you earned the bachelor's degree. This is not true, your diploma could have been completed before the bachelor's degree and you will still be eligible.

I hope post will clear all the confusion. If there is any error in my post, please let me know and suggestions are also welcome.

Hi,

I have a very important question. What if I got my second diploma in Canada. I have a three years degree back home (Already assessed) and a 2 years diploma in Canada. Can I include this second diploma (earned in Canada) in my ECA?

Thank you,

Juan

Maverick28

VIP Member
Feb 5, 2017
Canada
Hi,

I have a very important question. What if I got my second diploma in Canada. I have a three years degree back home (Already assessed) and a 2 years diploma in Canada. Can I include this second diploma (earned in Canada) in my ECA?

Thank you,

Juan
Yes you can and should enter the diploma from Canada in your Express Entry profile. But you do not need an ECA for that.

juanhernandez

Sep 4, 2019
Yes you can and should enter the diploma from Canada in your Express Entry profile. But you do not need an ECA for that.
Hi Maverick28,

Thank you so much for your answer. I asked that question because in the section number 4 of CRS "Level of Education" there are two options that apply to me:

1) Two or more certificates, diplomas, or degrees. One must be a three years diploma or more

I have a 3 years diploma from back home already assessed by WES and a 2 years diploma in Canada from a recognized institution.

2) Bachelor degree (Three or more years program at a university........)
This one also applies to me since I have that 3 years diploma AND in the question 4b they ask me for my Canadian credentials which I have but have already added considered in the previous question.

This is my confusion. I am just afraid when they ask me for my diplomas, they might think I have 3 diplomas, one from here and the other two from back home. Could you clarify?

Thank you again,

Juan

nsangwan

Sep 19, 2019
I have 4 year engg degree which was marked as bachelors 4 year by wes .. the pgdm for 2 years regular - they said not recognised so no evaluation ... This was in 2016 .. now I have completed 3 years part time mba from govt University which is listed by wes ... What result should come

nagapr

Sep 28, 2019
Thank you so much! Once you get your PR, please let us know. You have provided all valuable information in different threads until now reg. lateral entry scenario and and for all other candidates in the same scenario, your PR status/inputs would be very helpful.

Good luck!
Hi,

Did you got your PR? Please let me know if we are able to gain points using diploma.I am also in same boat, 10th + diploma + Btech

nagapr

Sep 28, 2019
Hi Dear, sorry for asking the same question again. My education is 10th + 3 Year Polytechnic Diploma + 3 Year B.Tech (direct admission in 2nd Year of 4 Year Program). In my WES ECA report the Canadian Equivalency Summary is "Diploma ( 2 Years) and Bachelor's Degree ( Four Years)". Is your conclusion based on your personal experience or your readings online? I applied for Express Entry and my application is stuck in IP1 i.e. background check not started. I know its very common for several people to stuck in IP1 but I am concerned may by its due to ineligibility of my education credentials. Did anybody with similar qualification in this thread already got the PR? Thanks in advance.

Please let me know if you got your PR? My education is also 10th + Diploma(3 Years) + Btech(3 Years). Your reply will decide my chances.Please reply.

hogaboga

Jul 22, 2019
Hi

I have an ECA which states Bachelors degree (four years) and Completion of college level certificate (one semester). Can I claim points for "2 or more degrees, diplomas or certificates... "?

pheebe

Aug 5, 2019
Nigeria
Good day
Please do you know if IQAS, ICES or any evaluating body evaluates degree from the chartered institute of commerce of Nigeria

skabli

Jul 18, 2014
Hi everyone just got my eca report from wes these are the following summary

CANADIAN EQUIVALENCY SUMMARY
Undergraduate certificate (one year) and bachelor's degree (four years)

Second ECA Report (original completed on August 01, 2014)

Can I apply for 2 or more certifcate
As mentioned below is the url website of cic https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/education-assessed/read-report.html#wb-auto-11

Look at the fifth option it says that one year certificate plus a bachelors degree can apply

So do i fall under this category i wonder and grab the 2 year or more certifcates points
A reply wud be appreciated
Thanks

Sep 9, 2018
Hello everyone,
Owing to some level of confusion, I too would prefer having a personal case study with your valuable suggestions...

My actual credentials : (after SSC)
1. Completed a 3-year Diploma in Automobile Engg (MSBTE, Mumbai) >>> Actual attended duration (2006-2010) >>> (1-year drop)
2. Completed a 4-year Bachelors in Mechanical Engg (University of Mumbai) >>> Actual attended duration (2010-2014) >>> (1-year drop)
3. Worked as a Lathe Operator from 10/2014 to 05/2015. And been working as a Mechanical & Quality Engineer with a Die-casting company since 06/2015 till date (over 4-years of work experience)...

ECA Report says :

Canadian Equivalency Summary : Diploma (2 years) and Bachelors degree (four years)

FOR DIPLOMA:

1. Credential Authentication: Documents were sent directly by the institution
Credential: Diploma in Automobile Engineering
Year: 2010
Awarded By: Maharashtra State Board of Technical Education
Major/Specialization: Automobile Engineering
Canadian Equivalency: Secondary school diploma and diploma (two years)

FOR BACHELORS:

2. Credential Authentication: Documents were sent directly by the institution

Credential: Bachelor of Engineering
Year: 2014
Awarded By: University of Mumbai
Major/Specialization: Mechanical Engineering
Canadian Equivalency: Bachelor's degree (four years)

Now, while filling the Express Entry form, I entered the details as follows :

First Education Credential :

Field of study: Science, applied
Since what year: 2006-July
This is my current study?: NO
To (End Date): 2010-April
Complete/full Academic years: 03
Full Time/Part time study :Full Time
Standing at the end of study period: Certificate or degree or diploma awarded
Country of Study : India
City/Town : Mumbai
Name of School/Institution : Maharashtra State Board of Technical Education
Level of education: Bachelor's degree OR a three year or more program at a university, college, trade or technical school or other institute.
Have you been awarded a Canadian degree during this time? : NO
Have you got ECA: YES
Which organization: WES
reference number: WES ref no (it ends with 'IMM')
ECA report Date: Eca completion date
Level of Education (Canadian Equivalent) :Secondary Diploma (high school graduation)

save and add...

Second Education Credential :

Field of study: Science, applied
Since what year: 2010-Sept
This is my current study?: NO
To (End Date): 2014-May
Complete/full Academic years: 04
Full Time/Part time study :Full Time
Standing at the end of study period: Certificate or degree or diploma awarded
Country of Study : India
City/Town : Mumbai
Name of School/Institution : University of Mumbai
Level of education: Bachelor's degree OR a three year or more program at a university, college, trade or technical school or other institute.
Have you been awarded a Canadian degree during this time? : NO
Have you got ECA: YES
Which organization: WES
reference number: WES ref no (it ends with 'IMM') (Same as that for diploma (above) as both the documents were sent under same WES Reference Number)
ECA report Date: Eca completion date
Level of Education (Canadian Equivalent) :Bachelor's degree OR a three year or more program at a university, college, trade or technical school or other institute.

IS THIS DATA ENTRY CORRECT AS PER MY CREDENTIALS PROVIDED ???
Hi Kunal,

I am in the same state like you. I am just confused whether to select Two Year Program or Bachelor's degree OR a three year or more for the Level of education education field in the EE profile for my Diploma. As of now, I selected Bachelor's degree OR a three year or more since its matching 3 years of education.

Did you change your selection or went ahead like this?

aj534160

Apr 13, 2019
Hello Dears,

I'm just starting to update/add a credential to my WES account.
I completed BE from Anna Univ and got the ECA for it done by WES
I recently completed my MBA from Anna University and I need some assistance. I chose "add a new credential" option in WES.

Anna Univ says they cannot send the transcript to WES and we have to do it from the university's PO. They however will provide the transcript in a sealed envelope (Signed by Anna Univ). Can we post it from the Campus PO?

Does WES send the Secondary Verification Request for all candidates to universities?

And if yes, while we ask University to provide us the transcript, can we pay them the fees for acknowledgement of Secondary Verification in advance?

Let us say we see the Secondary verification status in WES account, can we immediately approach the univ and pay them the fee to respond to WES mail. If we do that how long will the univ take to complete it?

And finally, how much did it take in your scenario to get all these done?

Apologies for quite a lot of questions, but you know, there is no one to guide me and that's why asking these.

Thanks in advance

Lalaml

Oct 24, 2019
Hello!

My wes result states:

Bachelor's degree (3 yrs), Bachelor's degree (4 yrs) and 4 yrs of professional study in law.

I am bit confused on what to select from the dropdown menu on my EE profile corresponding to the eca assessment for my law degree. Is it bachelor's degree or professional degree needed to practice a profession?