+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Two or More Certificates, Degrees or Diploma - Let's Get it Sorted

BAmoin85

Oct 22, 2018
Hi,

I had given two credentials to WES for evaluation -
1. Three-years Bachelor degree ( Per www.canada.ca - CRS, equivalent to Bachelor’s degree or other programs (three or more years) at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute)
2. Three-years Advance diploma ( Per www.canada.ca - CRS, equivalent to Bachelor’s degree or other programs (three or more years) at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute)

WES accepted both credentials and they are from recognized institution, however in evaluation report WES mentioned Canadian equivalency Bachelor's degree (four years) only.

I was anticipating that WES will report both credentials separately, showing Bachelor degree and Advance diploma individually, as per CRS these two credentials collectively make two bachelor degrees. Nonetheless, in situation like this my question is whether WES reported only one degree or two. Can I select two degrees during express entry application as I sent two credentials to WES and they accepted both but reported one credential.

I am looking for clarification.

Thank you

BAmoin85

Oct 22, 2018
Hi,

I had given two credentials to WES for evaluation -
1. Three-years Bachelor degree ( Per www.canada.ca - CRS, equivalent to Bachelor’s degree or other programs (three or more years) at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute)
2. Three-years Advance diploma ( Per www.canada.ca - CRS, equivalent to Bachelor’s degree or other programs (three or more years) at a university, college, trade or technical school, or other institute)

WES accepted both credentials and they are from recognized institution, however in evaluation report WES mentioned Canadian equivalency Bachelor's degree (four years) only.

I was anticipating that WES will report both credentials separately, showing Bachelor degree and Advance diploma individually, as per CRS these two credentials collectively make two bachelor degrees. Nonetheless, in situation like this my question is whether WES reported only one degree or two. Can I select two degrees during express entry application as I sent two credentials to WES and they accepted both but reported one credential.

I am looking for clarification.

Thank you
Please see below the exact word to word response from WES, in case you need clarification for identical situation like above

WES clarified that -
The Advanced Diploma from University of Mumbai. is an add-on course completed simultaneously with the bachelor’s degree. It is not a formal qualification but rathre represents additional undergraduate-level coursework. It is evaluated as a whole with the Bachelor of Commerce from University of Mumbai.

Hope above clarification helps.

Thank you

Oct 28, 2018
Good Day.

Please advise: What shall I select for the level of education if the ECA results are the following?

Equivalency: Diploma (Three Years)

Secondary School Diploma and Diploma (Three Years)

Thank you so much for in advance.

ishq74

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2017

Sneha88

Aug 30, 2018
Hi,
My eca states bcom 3years as bachelor's degree 3years and
Mcom( 2 years ) as bachelor's degree 4 years
Will I get points for two or more degrees

fredybouy

Star Member
Oct 24, 2018
Please do not ask whether or not you can claim certain points for your xyz education before getting an ECA report. Different countries have different educational systems thus candidates get different ECA report for similar qualifications. We can help you to interpret your ECA report but CANNOT tell you what would be the ECA report for your degrees, diplomas in advance! Get an ECA report from one of the designated organizations and let us know if you need help!

Here is more clarification for those who think your second credential must be "Post Graduate" program after bachelors to get "two or more degrees" points.

Ministerial Instructions respecting the Express Entry system

Current Ministerial Instructions last amended on October 24, 2017. (Previous versions)

The Minister of Citizenship and Immigration, pursuant to section 10.3Footnotea of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act Footnoteb, gives the annexed Ministerial Instructions Respecting the Express Entry System.

Ottawa, October 17, 2017

AHMED D. HUSSEN
Minister of Citizenship and Immigration

Level of education
11 (1) The points that are to be assigned for the level of education factor referred to in subparagraph 8(1)(a)(ii) are the following:

• (a) for a foreign national who has no accompanying spouse or common-law partner
      • (i) 0 points, if the foreign national has less than a secondary school credential,
      • (ii) 30 points, if the foreign national has a secondary school credential,
      • (iii) 90 points, if the foreign national has a one-year post-secondary program credential,
      • (iv) 98 points, if the foreign national has a two-year post-secondary program credential,
      • (v) 120 points, if the foreign national has a post-secondary program credential of three years or more,
      • (vi) 128 points, if the foreign national has two or more post-secondary program credentials and at least one of them was issued at the completion of a post-secondary program of three years or more,
      • (vii) 135 points, if the foreign national has a university-level credential at the master’s level or at the level of an entry-to-practice professional degree for an occupation listed in the National Occupational Classification matrix at Skill level A for which licensing by a provincial regulatory body is required, and
      • (viii) 150 points, if the foreign national has a university-level credential at the doctoral level; and
    • (b) for a foreign national who has an accompanying spouse or common-law partner
      • (i) 0 points, if the foreign national has less than a secondary school credential,
      • (ii) 28 points, if the foreign national has a secondary school credential,
      • (iii) 84 points, if the foreign national has a one-year post-secondary program credential,
      • (iv) 91 points, if the foreign national has a two-year post-secondary program credential,
      • (v) 112 points, if the foreign national has a post-secondary program credential of three years or more,
      • (vi) 119 points, if the foreign national has two or more post-secondary program credentials and at least one of them was issued at the completion of a post-secondary program of three years or more,
      • (vii) 126 points, if the foreign national has a university-level credential at the master’s level or an entry-to-practice professional degree for an occupation listed in the National Occupational Classification matrix at Skill level A for which licensing by a provincial regulatory body is require , and
      • (viii) 140 points, if the foreign national has a university-level credential at the doctoral level.
Highest level of education
(2) Points are to be assigned under subsection (1) for the highest level of education obtained.

Educational credentials
(3) In order for a foreign national to be assigned points under subsection (1),

• (a) their educational credentials must be Canadian educational credentials; or
    • (b) they must have an educational credential equivalency assessment in respect of their foreign educational credentials issued by an organization or institution designated under subsection 75(4) of the Regulations.
Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/mandate/policies-operational-instructions-agreements/ministerial-instructions/express-entry-application-management-system.html

Red color marked sentences clearly says "two or more post-secondary program credentials". It is clear that you need one of the Post Secondary credential assessed as Canadian equivalent to 3 or more years program and second one again a Post Secondary credential assessed as Canadian equivalent to minimum 1 year long program!
It does not matter what is your actual level of education or duration, you will be awarded points according to the ECA report. read 11(3)(b)!

Hope it is Crystal clear for everyone!
That was one of the most exhaustive and detailed answers on this forum. Its people like you who add value here and actually help others. I too will learn all of this and pledge to help this community as long as I can (minimum 6 months after I get my PR).

So the following evaluation can safely conclude it to be a "Two or more certificates, diplomas or degrees" leading to getting extra points in CRS calculator. So with my profile just switching the education from bachelors to "Two or more certificates, diplomas or degrees" gives me a shoot of 33 points that from 432 to 465.

My education is 10th>Diploma Engg.(3years)>Degree Engg.(3 years)

Assuming my ECA will be this:
Diploma --> Canadian Equivalency: Secondary school diploma and diploma (two years)
B.Tech --> Canadian Equivalency: Bachelor's degree (four years)

@ishq74 or other active members, just let me know if all of conclusions are correct? Thanks

ishq74

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2017
That was one of the most exhaustive and detailed answers on this forum. Its people like you who add value here and actually help others. I too will learn all of this and pledge to help this community as long as I can (minimum 6 months after I get my PR).

So the following evaluation can safely conclude it to be a "Two or more certificates, diplomas or degrees" leading to getting extra points in CRS calculator. So with my profile just switching the education from bachelors to "Two or more certificates, diplomas or degrees" gives me a shoot of 33 points that from 432 to 465.

My education is 10th>Diploma Engg.(3years)>Degree Engg.(3 years)

Assuming my ECA will be this:
Diploma --> Canadian Equivalency: Secondary school diploma and diploma (two years)
B.Tech --> Canadian Equivalency: Bachelor's degree (four years)

@ishq74 or other active members, just let me know if all of conclusions are correct? Thanks
Thanks for appreciation. Your conclusions are correct.

bustocanada

Nov 12, 2018
Thanks for appreciation. Your conclusions are correct.
Hi Dear, sorry for asking the same question again. My education is 10th + 3 Year Polytechnic Diploma + 3 Year B.Tech (direct admission in 2nd Year of 4 Year Program). In my WES ECA report the Canadian Equivalency Summary is "Diploma ( 2 Years) and Bachelor's Degree ( Four Years)". Is your conclusion based on your personal experience or your readings online? I applied for Express Entry and my application is stuck in IP1 i.e. background check not started. I know its very common for several people to stuck in IP1 but I am concerned may by its due to ineligibility of my education credentials. Did anybody with similar qualification in this thread already got the PR? Thanks in advance.

ishq74

Champion Member
Jul 18, 2017
Hi Dear, sorry for asking the same question again. My education is 10th + 3 Year Polytechnic Diploma + 3 Year B.Tech (direct admission in 2nd Year of 4 Year Program). In my WES ECA report the Canadian Equivalency Summary is "Diploma ( 2 Years) and Bachelor's Degree ( Four Years)". Is your conclusion based on your personal experience or your readings online? I applied for Express Entry and my application is stuck in IP1 i.e. background check not started. I know its very common for several people to stuck in IP1 but I am concerned may by its due to ineligibility of my education credentials. Did anybody with similar qualification in this thread already got the PR? Thanks in advance.
I am speaking from Personal experience. I have done two years diploma in UK. Then got direct admission in the final year of the degree. Its called Top Up degree in UK. ECA came as Diploma two years and Bachelor degree four years. I have passed eligibility without any problem. My GCMS notes clearly shows I got points for two or more degree. You should order GCMS notes too. This will ease out your anxiety.

Remember your education points are completely based on your ECA report, it doesn't matter how many years or what level education you have.

Good Luck!

bustocanada

Nov 12, 2018
I am speaking from Personal experience. I have done two years diploma in UK. Then got direct admission in the final year of the degree. Its called Top Up degree in UK. ECA came as Diploma two years and Bachelor degree four years. I have passed eligibility without any problem. My GCMS notes clearly shows I got points for two or more degree. You should order GCMS notes too. This will ease out your anxiety.

Remember your education points are completely based on your ECA report, it doesn't matter how many years or what level education you have.

Good Luck!
Man, you made my day. Thank you!

castertroy54

Sep 9, 2018
Hi, i dont wish to make anyone irate and anticipating a kind response.
I completed 10th , 12th and B.com from Delhi University. now i wish to get marks for "Two or more certificates, diplomas or degrees, one must be a program of 3 or more years" category.
My question is, if i do a post Graduate Diploma Certificate course from IGNOU for 6 months, will i be considered for it or i would need to do 1 year post graduate Diploma?

rv85

Nov 18, 2018
Hi,

I was confused with your reply as earlier you mentioned to give the duration as "two years" for diploma and "normal degree duration"(which is 4 years) for Bachelor's and later mentioned that it should be given as "three years" for both.So, wondering if I can talk to you to get this clarified. Your inputs will be helpful. Could you please confirm this one more time. Apologize for raising this query again.

Also, what does "secondary" mean as per Canadian education standards? Is it equivalent to 10th grade or 12th grade.
Hello - I am exactly in same situation. Could you please help me to know what should be entered for both diploma and degree in EE profile?

Diploma - 2001 - 2004
BTech - 2004 - 2007 (lateral entry)

1) Start and end period?
2) # of years for both ? (3/3 or 2/4)
3) both should be selected as Bachelor or diploma from university in drop down?

Thanks in advance!!!

rv85

Nov 18, 2018
Hello - I am exactly in same situation. Could you please help me to know what should be entered for both diploma and degree in EE profile?

Diploma - 2001 - 2004
BTech - 2004 - 2007 (lateral entry)

1) Start and end period?
2) # of years for both ? (3/3 or 2/4)
3) both should be selected as Bachelor or diploma from university in drop down?

Thanks in advance!!!

METITO

Oct 7, 2018
hello, i am new here. There's a challenge i have...i have a bachelors degree from medical laboratory science which am having evaluated by WES, i also did a training for making clothes(pattern drafting) for which i got a certificate of completion after 3months(wrote an exam with NABTEB- National business and technical board, which is a regulatory body here in Nigeria)... checked the NOC category and it is stated there(Tailoring---NOC 6342-B), however cant find which foreign organization that certifies trade certificates. Can i fill 2 or more certificates?

istari

Champion Member
Jul 5, 2016
Australia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hello, i am new here. There's a challenge i have...i have a bachelors degree from medical laboratory science which am having evaluated by WES, i also did a training for making clothes(pattern drafting) for which i got a certificate of completion after 3months(wrote an exam with NABTEB- National business and technical board, which is a regulatory body here in Nigeria)... checked the NOC category and it is stated there(Tailoring---NOC 6342-B), however cant find which foreign organization that certifies trade certificates. Can i fill 2 or more certificates?
I don't think you can; the second degree/diploma/certificate must be at least 1 year long.