+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Trying to Enter Canada is a Gamble

Dafaqisgoingon

Star Member
Jun 12, 2020
For those unsure about Conestoga college specifically and the mix of on campus/online

https://www.conestogac.on.ca/academic-delivery-plan/

Interestingly unless I am misreading the business programs are all planned remote for fall 2020 at least with winter 2021 to be announced
Yes but they have received emails about it. The plan will be updated soon. Check this Student also said so. Here's the link

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/what-should-i-do-my-college-postpone-my-program-till-january-2021.699267/post-8797839

Islander216

Champion Member
Nov 27, 2019
Are you sure that all Colleges and all programs are online? What an ignorant thing to say. Conestoga College specifically mentioned Physical presence is required in Canada and they will offer some programs even from Business to only those present in Canada
Well, Bs65 has already refuted your statement, so i don't have much to add. :) Again, i understand if you want to come to Canada while you study even if your classes are online, but don't think misrepresenting your course's requirements will get you past immigration.

In my case, my program is 80% online with 2 courses that entail heavy lab works.

I couldn’t fly out due to the local restrictions from my home country (and with the airline cancelling my flight twice), so I’ll start remotely. But I’ll still need to fly out when I can to make up for the classes I’ve missed. I’ve coordinated with my University and they were considerate enough to work with my situation.

It’s really not ideal - but it is what it is. So I’ll just divert my energies to make the necessary adjustments.
I completely understand, it's a difficult situation for everyone involved, more so for the students.

I was just wondering, because i honestly didn't think there would be many if any international students coming to Canada for the fall semester as most of them are being delivered online. But i understand that stuff like lab work really can only be done on campus.

I really think international students have to sort of wake up and smell the coffee, because many here seem oblivious to what's going on, and seem to think that they just need to take a flight to come to Canada to attend their courses.

That is not the situation right now, when they get to immigration, they have to demonstrate convincingly that they're required to enter Canada for their studies because of the pandemic.

There's already been one person who was has been refused entry at the airport, i'm bringing this up to prevent this happening to other people as well.

Reactions: Matt173

Dafaqisgoingon

Star Member
Jun 12, 2020
Well, Bs65 has already refuted your statement, so i don't have much to add. :) Again, i understand if you want to come to Canada while you study even if your classes are online, but don't think misrepresenting your course's requirements will get you past immigration.

I completely understand, it's a difficult situation for everyone involved, more so for the students.

I was just wondering, because i honestly didn't think there would be many if any international students coming to Canada for the fall semester as most of them are being delivered online. But i understand that stuff like lab work really can only be done on campus.

I really think international students have to sort of wake up and smell the coffee, because many here seem oblivious to what's going on, and seem to think that they just need to take a flight to come to Canada to attend their courses.

That is not the situation right now, when they get to immigration, they have to demonstrate convincingly that they're required to enter Canada for their studies because of the pandemic.

There's already been one person who was has been refused entry at the airport, i'm bringing this up to prevent this happening to other people as well.
I already replied to him about Conestoga's email and nobody is Misrepresenting. Here is the link from a fellow forum member saying the same.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/what-should-i-do-my-college-postpone-my-program-till-january-2021.699267/#post-8797839

Dafaqisgoingon

Star Member
Jun 12, 2020

And i am only pointing out that people with same conditions(program,courses,even same flight,docs) can get a different result which is exactly what this thread is about,but i guess you only point to information which fits your agenda.

Matt173

Oct 13, 2019
The pot calling the kettle black. Regardless of which link I followed on the Conestoga website, virtually all classes are delivered online. Not saying there are none but you greatly misrepresented.

And i am only pointing out that people with same conditions(program,courses,even same flight,docs) can get a different result which is exactly what this thread is about,but i guess you only point to information which fits your agenda.

Dafaqisgoingon

Star Member
Jun 12, 2020
The pot calling the kettle black. Regardless of which link I followed on the Conestoga website, virtually all classes are delivered online. Not saying there are none but you greatly misrepresented.
You guys don't see the link i posted, do you?
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/what-should-i-do-my-college-postpone-my-program-till-january-2021.699267/#post-8797839

And I did not misrepresent anything. Enough interacting with you. Sorry that i even interacted with you.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Yes but they have received emails about it. The plan will be updated soon. Check this Student also said so. Here's the link

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/what-should-i-do-my-college-postpone-my-program-till-january-2021.699267/post-8797839
My reply to your post about business courses at cognesta was of course based the publicly available information on the college website which clearly states business courses will be remote even HR in the fall 2020.

If individuals have received personal emails implying their courses require attendance good for them but here we can all only go by what is published.

As for all the to and fro posts on this subject realise everyone is frustrated at the process but everyone is in same position and can only go by the information they have in front them even if people at times disagree. Unfortunately in these times social media is bringing out both best and worst in peoples attitude and responses where there is disagreement.

As for inconsistency in IRCC or CBSAs approach to things this is business as usual and not specific to the COVID situation . It never makes sense should individuals have identical everything , at least think they do, but get different end result, that’s the way it is unfortunately and suspect not unique to Canada.

Last edited:

Dafaqisgoingon

Star Member
Jun 12, 2020
My reply to your post about business courses at cognesta was of course based the publicly available information on the college website which clearly states business courses will be remote even HR in the fall 2020.

If individuals have received personal emails implying their courses require attendance good for them but here we can all only go by what is published.

As for all the to and fro posts on this subject realise everyone is frustrated at the process but everyone is in same position and can only go by the information they have in front them even if people at times disagree. Unfortunately in these times social media is bringing out both best and worst in peoples attitude and responses where there is disagreement.

As for inconsistency in IRCC or CBSAs approach to things this is business as usual and not specific to the COVID situation . It never makes sense should individuals have identical everything , at least think they do, but get different end result, that’s the way it is unfortunately and suspect not unique to Canada.
I agree with you mostly. To be honest, i expected more from IRCC as they always had planned for all scenarios before anyone even had to worry about them. Now its unfortunate. Hope they clarify rules to all the stakeholders. Its really disheartening to have your career at the hands of one CBSA officer who might be in a bad mood because of the "case to case basis" policy. It should be objective and not a subjective policy and there would be no issues. They already backtracked on exempting us by adding"essential" clause.

Hope everything gets sorted for everyone. Peace.

Bishops2020

Aug 8, 2020
Thank you for sharing this! Definitely confirms that it’s all confusing - but there’s hope yet! I spoke with Chris (the attorney mentioned at the beginning of this article) on Friday and he made it seem like the most important thing to present at a POE is a letter stating non-discretionary mandatory in-person attendance from your school / program. Yes, always up to the officer, but stronger case with that in hand. I’m going to be trying this myself in the next week since class start time is quickly approaching. Wish me luck and hope you get there when you need to!
Good luck.

My daughter's case is hopeless as she is not a US citizen, she is a scholarship student from Europe who is into her 47th week of waiting to come to start her course, whose fellow returning international students on her identical in person course arrived by plane from Paris last Wednesday and Thursday and are in quarantine. Her only sin is to be born in 2001 instead of 2000 and for her university to have dragged its feet for 4 months, slowing down her application for CAQ then SP, meaning if they'd issued it immediately (as they could as she'd achieved her grades a year earlier and was on a gap year), she'd have been on that plane. The university dragging its feet and circumstances have led to her being left behind. She is gutted. She is no more risk than the other students who got on the planes last Wednesday and Thursday.

resilientflora

Star Member
Jun 30, 2020
Good luck.

My daughter's case is hopeless as she is not a US citizen, she is a scholarship student from Europe who is into her 47th week of waiting to come to start her course, whose fellow returning international students on her identical in person course arrived by plane from Paris last Wednesday and Thursday and are in quarantine. Her only sin is to be born in 2001 instead of 2000 and for her university to have dragged its feet for 4 months, slowing down her application for CAQ then SP, meaning if they'd issued it immediately (as they could as she'd achieved her grades a year earlier and was on a gap year), she'd have been on that plane. The university dragging its feet and circumstances have led to her being left behind. She is gutted. She is no more risk than the other students who got on the planes last Wednesday and Thursday.
That’s all an absolute shame to hear. Things are rough out there but I really feel for students entering their first year of college. It was never meant to be this way, and I hope she finds some way to spend this time doing other things that might help her once she can start...are you both planning to have her wait until next year and defer?