+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV visa for Spouse

snehalmk1219

Feb 22, 2018
Agreed.

IMO, I believe she will be refused again. The OP, unfortunately, is unable to accept the reasons for this reasoning which I had posted in another thread

My husband is on temperory work permit and the visa expiry date is jan 26,2020. I am planning to apply for visitor visa. Understanding your suggetion to mention the stay for two to three months is acceptable. but i am afraid that the visa i will get will be of 2 or 3 weeks only.. Can i know that what is the minimum days does the canadian government grant visa..? And I am a housewife. I dont have tax returns and all. So what are the ways of showing strong bonds towards homecountry..? I can book return tickets in advance which will help in convincing them.

thanks in advance all. Please guide me for the same. hoping for a quick response.

vikiviky

Star Member
May 20, 2018
Agreed.

IMO, I believe she will be refused again. The OP, unfortunately, is unable to accept the reasons for this reasoning which I had posted in another thread
I did recheck the GCMS notes, They did not check the "Strong tie up with homecountry" reason as refusal its just financial asset, purpose of travel and travel history

vikiviky

Star Member
May 20, 2018
My husband is on temperory work permit and the visa expiry date is jan 26,2020. I am planning to apply for visitor visa. Understanding your suggetion to mention the stay for two to three months is acceptable. but i am afraid that the visa i will get will be of 2 or 3 weeks only.. Can i know that what is the minimum days does the canadian government grant visa..? And I am a housewife. I dont have tax returns and all. So what are the ways of showing strong bonds towards homecountry..? I can book return tickets in advance which will help in convincing them.

thanks in advance all. Please guide me for the same. hoping for a quick response.
I cant advise at this moment, as i myself waiting for approval. But based on what i have seen, you can go for dependent visa category which is again a TRV, with a medical test, you can pply for more than 6 month.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014

There is no dependent visa category for TRVs. Medicals are not required for TRVs unless the visa office requests for it.

As you do not have any strong ties (no employment, no finances/income, etc), chances are very high that your TRV application will be refused. It is best if you apply for the Spouse Open Work Permit (SOWP) if your husband's work is in NOC 0, A or B category.

Do not book tickets before a visa is issued. Tickets do not guarantee visa approvals

vikiviky

Star Member
May 20, 2018
There is no dependent visa category for TRVs. Medicals are not required for TRVs unless the visa office requests for it.

As you do not have any strong ties (no employment, no finances/income, etc), chances are very high that your TRV application will be refused. It is best if you apply for the Spouse Open Work Permit (SOWP) if your husband's work is in NOC 0, A or B category.

Do not book tickets before a visa is issued. Tickets do not guarantee visa approvals
Quick clarification- I think what you mentioned makes sense. In application point of view, what is different in SOWP vs a Vistior visa for family? is there any separate application for SOWP compare to visitor

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Quick clarification- I think what you mentioned makes sense. In application point of view, what is different in SOWP vs a Vistior visa for family? is there any separate application for SOWP compare to visitor
I suggest you use the Come to Canada tool for both scenarios (SOWP and TRV) to generate the document checklists. You will see that the application forms for a SOWP is different from that for a TRV:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/come-canada-tool.html

vikiviky

Star Member
May 20, 2018
I suggest you use the Come to Canada tool for both scenarios (SOWP and TRV) to generate the document checklists. You will see that the application forms for a SOWP is different from that for a TRV:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/come-canada-tool.html
i have checked that, irony is its very confusing. All my colleagues got so called "visitor visa" of their spouses , more than 6 months, tie up with their husband work permit validity. in IMM 5257 we mention "visitor visa" , process their medical test, provide all supporting docs, and approval is piece of cake like easy.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
i have checked that, irony is its very confusing. All my colleagues got so called "visitor visa" of their spouses , more than 6 months, tie up with their husband work permit validity. in IMM 5257 we mention "visitor visa" , process their medical test, provide all supporting docs, and approval is piece of cake like easy.
You should choose the correct selections. The criteria/specifications + the resulting document checklist for a SOWP are different from that for a TRV.

Your friends have applied for SOWPs for their spouses

vikiviky

Star Member
May 20, 2018
You should choose the correct selections. The criteria/specifications + the resulting document checklist for a SOWP are different from that for a TRV.

Your friends have applied for SOWPs for their spouses
It clearly says , she can apply :) ,
Visitor visa - over 6 months
You are eligible to apply for a visitor visa to travel to Canada.

A visitor visa costs $100 CAD. It permits travel to Canada by air, car, bus, train or boat and is valid for up to 10 years. Processing times vary, depending on the number of applications currently being processed.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
It clearly says , she can apply :) ,
Visitor visa - over 6 months
You are eligible to apply for a visitor visa to travel to Canada.

A visitor visa costs $100 CAD. It permits travel to Canada by air, car, bus, train or boat and is valid for up to 10 years. Processing times vary, depending on the number of applications currently being processed.
The selections are incorrect. Do post the selections you made for a SOWP

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Selections are correct, you should try once before commenting, there is a field called "what do you like to do", you select "visit and not "work"
Not sure why you have been arguing since many days (maybe to console yourself). Anyways.

If you don't get the IMM 1295 application form at the end of your selection (i.e. Apply for a Work Permit from outside Canada), it means you have made the incorrect selections for a SOWP.

You cannot select 'Visit' in the eligibility tool. For a SOWP, you need to select 'Work' for 'What would you like to do in Canada' >> Temporarily more than 6 months >> carry on making the selections until you get to 'Will you be coming to Canada with a spouse who is or will be working as a skilled worker" >> carry on further until the checklist is generated

vikiviky

Star Member
May 20, 2018
Not sure why you have been arguing since many days (maybe to console yourself). Anyways.

If you don't get the IMM 1295 application form at the end of your selection (i.e. Apply for a Work Permit from outside Canada), it means you have made the incorrect selections for a SOWP.

You cannot select 'Visit' in the eligibility tool. For a SOWP, you need to select 'Work' for 'What would you like to do in Canada' >> Temporarily more than 6 months >> carry on making the selections until you get to 'Will you be coming to Canada with a spouse who is or will be working as a skilled worker" >> carry on further until the checklist is generated
Sorry if my comment offended you but i never meant that, i have all respect for you helping people here. I am trying to advise you, if you try yourself making selections you will know. And there is no imm1295 at the end . Its just imm5257.

Bryanna

VIP Member
Sep 8, 2014
Sorry if my comment offended you but i never meant that, i have all respect for you helping people here. I am trying to advise you, if you try yourself making selections you will know. And there is no imm1295 at the end . Its just imm5257.
I understand you are eager to have your wife to come to Canada. But, you have been given incorrect information.

Here are the selections that I made just to show you that the document checklist generates the IMM 1295 (and the Family Information form) at the end for a SOWP. It does not generate the TRV application package at the end:

What would you like to do in Canada?
Work
How long are you planning to stay in Canada?
Temporarily - more than 6 months
Select the code that matches the one on your passport.
IND (India)
What is your current country/territory of residence? If you are presently in Canada, you should select Canada.
India
Do you have a family member who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and is 18 years or older?
No
What is your date of birth?
October 16, 1991
Are you a lawful permanent resident of the United States with a valid alien registration card (Green Card)?

No
Modify my Answers
Do you have a written offer from an employer in Canada?

No
Modify my Answers
Modify my Answers
Do you plan to work in one of the following categories?
  • Athletes and coaches
  • Aviation accident or incident investigators
  • Business visitors
  • Civil aviation inspectors
  • Clergy
  • Convention organizers
  • Crew members
  • Emergency service providers
  • Examiners and evaluators
  • Expert witnesses or investigators
  • Family members of foreign representatives
  • Foreign government officers
  • Foreign representatives
  • Health-care students
  • Highly-skilled workers and researchers (Global Skills Strategy)
  • Judges, referees and similar officials
  • Military personnel
  • News reporters, film and media crews
  • Performing artists
  • Public speakers
No
Will you be coming to Canada with a spouse or common-law partner who is, or will be, working in Canada as a foreign worker or who is, or will be, a full-time student at a university, community college, CEGEP or other authorized educational institution?
Yes
Are you of working age, and a dependent of a person who is (or will be):
Yes
Have you recently graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution for which your study program was full-time and a minimum of eight months?
No
Modify my Answers
What is your marital status?
Married
What is your province of destination? If visiting multiple provinces, select the one in which you will be spending most of your time.
Ontario
What type of work permit do you want to apply for?

A work permit for a spouse, common-law partner or child of a skilled worker or international student
Modify my Answers
Are you accompanying a family member that has status in Canada, or has recently been approved to come to Canada?

Yes
Modify my Answers
Have you ever committed, been arrested for, been charged with, or convicted of any criminal offence in any country?

No
Modify my Answers
Have you had a medical exam performed by an IRCC authorized panel physician (doctor) within the last 12 months?

Yes
Modify my Answers
Do you want to submit an application for a family member?

No
Modify my Answers
Are you giving someone access to your application?

No
Modify my Answers
There are fees associated with this application. Will you be paying your fees or are you fee exempt?

Yes, I will be paying my application fees.
Modify my Answers
Are you able to make a digital copy of your documents with a scanner or camera?

Yes
Modify my Answers
Will you be paying your application fees online? To pay online, you can use a credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, JCB, China Union Pay) or a debit card (Visa Debit, Debit MasterCard or Interac).

Yes

Last edited:

vikiviky

Star Member
May 20, 2018
I understand you are eager to have your wife to come to Canada. But, you have been given incorrect information.

Here are the selections that I made just to show you that the document checklist generates the IMM 1295 (and the Family Information form) at the end for a SOWP. It does not generate the TRV application package at the end:

What would you like to do in Canada?
Work
How long are you planning to stay in Canada?
Temporarily - more than 6 months
Select the code that matches the one on your passport.
IND (India)
What is your current country/territory of residence? If you are presently in Canada, you should select Canada.
India
Do you have a family member who is a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and is 18 years or older?
No
What is your date of birth?
October 16, 1991
Are you a lawful permanent resident of the United States with a valid alien registration card (Green Card)?

No
Modify my Answers
Do you have a written offer from an employer in Canada?

No
Modify my Answers
Modify my Answers
Do you plan to work in one of the following categories?
  • Athletes and coaches
  • Aviation accident or incident investigators
  • Business visitors
  • Civil aviation inspectors
  • Clergy
  • Convention organizers
  • Crew members
  • Emergency service providers
  • Examiners and evaluators
  • Expert witnesses or investigators
  • Family members of foreign representatives
  • Foreign government officers
  • Foreign representatives
  • Health-care students
  • Highly-skilled workers and researchers (Global Skills Strategy)
  • Judges, referees and similar officials
  • Military personnel
  • News reporters, film and media crews
  • Performing artists
  • Public speakers
No
Will you be coming to Canada with a spouse or common-law partner who is, or will be, working in Canada as a foreign worker or who is, or will be, a full-time student at a university, community college, CEGEP or other authorized educational institution?
Yes
Are you of working age, and a dependent of a person who is (or will be):
Yes
Have you recently graduated from a participating Canadian post-secondary institution for which your study program was full-time and a minimum of eight months?
No
Modify my Answers
What is your marital status?
Married
What is your province of destination? If visiting multiple provinces, select the one in which you will be spending most of your time.
Ontario
What type of work permit do you want to apply for?

A work permit for a spouse, common-law partner or child of a skilled worker or international student
Modify my Answers
Are you accompanying a family member that has status in Canada, or has recently been approved to come to Canada?

Yes
Modify my Answers
Have you ever committed, been arrested for, been charged with, or convicted of any criminal offence in any country?

No
Modify my Answers
Have you had a medical exam performed by an IRCC authorized panel physician (doctor) within the last 12 months?

Yes
Modify my Answers
Do you want to submit an application for a family member?

No
Modify my Answers
Are you giving someone access to your application?

No
Modify my Answers
There are fees associated with this application. Will you be paying your fees or are you fee exempt?

Yes, I will be paying my application fees.
Modify my Answers
Are you able to make a digital copy of your documents with a scanner or camera?

Yes
Modify my Answers
Will you be paying your application fees online? To pay online, you can use a credit card (Visa, MasterCard, American Express, JCB, China Union Pay) or a debit card (Visa Debit, Debit MasterCard or Interac).

Yes
Did i not tell you that you are selecting something wrong, and there you are, you made your first answer wrong, I asked you to select "visit" and NOT work in "What would you like to do in Canada?", if you continue doing that , you will get your answer. I hope you would reply after correcting it.