+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV/study permit exemption

annaturner

Star Member
Oct 15, 2019
Hi, sorry I’m reposting the question but I posted the question at a wrong time and got no replies.
I’m an international student and I’ve been in Canada since 2016. I’m currently exempted from the bordure closure because my study permit was issued well before March 18th,2020. However, I’m slightly lost and not sure what to do.
My current TRV and Study permit expires on 31st of August, 2020. I’m planning to enter Canada on 26th of August, 2020. I can renew my TRV before it expires and it will only take at max 2 weeks (confirmed info), however, I’m worried that if I renew my TRV, I won’t be exempted from the bordure closure since exemption applies only to people who got study permit before March, 2020.
My questions:
1. Can I travel to Canada 5 days before my Immigration documents expire like TRV and Study permit or I wont be let it?
2. If I decide to renew my TRV at the local embassy, will I still be exempted even tho my TRV will be issued after March, 2020? I was thinking to renew my TRV and still travel before 31st of August, so my Study Permit that is issued before March, 2020 would still be valid and I’ll be exempted since it’s valid?
3.Does exemption from bordure closure apply only to Study Permits issued before March, 2020 or it applies to TRV too? Like will the renewed TRV issued in August affect my exemption?
P.S i will still have a valid exempted Study Permit that i will present at the border. I’ll be having a Study Permit Extension Approval letter that I’ll get issued at the border as a new Study Permit, but I’m not planning to use it at the border since my current one will still be valid and I will enter Canada with my soon to be expired study permit

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
1. You can arrive at the airport any time before your visa expires and, provided the airline lets you on, you can attempt to enter Canada.

2. I don't know - maybe not. That one is confusing.

3. Not sure.

annaturner

Star Member
Oct 15, 2019
1. You can arrive at the airport any time before your visa expires and, provided the airline lets you on, you can attempt to enter Canada.

2. I don't know - maybe not. That one is confusing.

3. Not sure.
Do you think I can have the problem with the airline letting me on board because my Study permit and TRV are expiring soon?