30-01-2015
Med's Request
08-04-2016
Med's Done....
09-04-2016
Passport Req..
10-05-2016
Hi,
I'm in Canada with a valid work permit until 2015. Since I wanted to visit my home country, India, I applied for a TRV from within Canada. After about a month, I received a letter from the Ottawa office that my file has been transferred to the Canadian Consulate in Los Angeles. That office will contact me and I may be required to appear for an interview. It's my responsibility to obtain a US visa and all that.

I really don't understand why this much confusion over a TRV for legal foreign workers in Canada with valid work permits issued by the same government? :( :eek: . If one has to go outside Canada for the renewal of a TRV, then, what's the point of providing this facility for within Canada workers? If they really want a personal interview, can't they just have it with their officers in Canada?

Is there anyone else here who has gone through this and has been contacted by the Los Angeles Consulate? Were you called for an interview in Los Angeles? What was the result? Were you granted a TRV or refused? If you were refused, were you able to re-enter Canada?
Thanks for your kind help.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
No idea, but i don't understand why your TRV and work permit do not have the same expiry. Usually both expire at the same time and people don't need to apply for those separately. When you apply for renewal of wp, it comes along.

If it was for some exceptional reason like passport with limited validity or something, then i believe it is an unusual case and i haven't seen any such example.

Personally, on POE, the CBSA agent shortened the length of my wp (from that in letter of introduction) just to match passport and trv expiry. So i wonder why are those different for you.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

fkl said:
No idea, but i don't understand why your TRV and work permit do not have the same expiry. Usually both expire at the same time and people don't need to apply for those separately. When you apply for renewal of wp, it comes along.

If it was for some exceptional reason like passport with limited validity or something, then i believe it is an unusual case and i haven't seen any such example.

Personally, on POE, the CBSA agent shortened the length of my wp (from that in letter of introduction) just to match passport and trv expiry. So i wonder why are those different for you.
Please read the OP's post. S/he is in Canada, with a valid work permit. His/Her TRV has expired, so s/he applied for a new TRV to Ottawa. You should note that a student or worker in Canada can apply for a TRV. A work permit application goes to Vegreville, a TRV application goes to Ottawa, 2 separate applications. There appears to be a problem with the TRV application that why it was transferred to a US office for interview. The OP should obtain his/her GCMs notes to determine what the problem is, by applying under the Privacy Act. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/atip/requests-personal.asp

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
PMM said:
Hi

Please read the OP's post. S/he is in Canada, with a valid work permit. His/Her TRV has expired, so s/he applied for a new TRV to Ottawa. You should note that a student or worker in Canada can apply for a TRV. A work permit application goes to Vegreville, a TRV application goes to Ottawa, 2 separate applications. There appears to be a problem with the TRV application that why it was transferred to a US office for interview. The OP should obtain his/her GCMs notes to determine what the problem is, by applying under the Privacy Act. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/atip/requests-personal.asp
Again this comes with some degree of inference, i didn't propose. I expressed surprise upon why only trv is expiring and WP is still valid because from what i know and have seen (in fact was explained by CBSA in detail) - there time lines are matched. period.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

fkl said:
Again this comes with some degree of inference, i didn't propose. I expressed surprise upon why only trv is expiring and WP is still valid because from what i know and have seen (in fact was explained by CBSA in detail) - there time lines are matched. period.
No they are not. A TRV can be issued for 1 entry, so it expires when you enter Canada and you could be issued a 1/2/3 year work permit.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
PMM said:
Hi

No they are not. A TRV can be issued for 1 entry, so it expires when you enter Canada and you could be issued a 1/2/3 year work permit.
I must say it is unusual and very much lack of understanding of process for some one to apply for a single entry trv when applying for study or wp. A single entry trv should only be used when you are visiting the country for a short term one time thing. You don't have to go through medicals for a VISIT oriented trv. However, medicals are mandatory when you apply for study / work and trv along.

chokra

May 15, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-09-2014
Doc's Request.
29-03-2016
AOR Received.
30-01-2015
Med's Request
08-04-2016
Med's Done....
09-04-2016
Passport Req..
10-05-2016
fkl said:

There's a difference between WP and a TRV. The TRV is normally given for a single entry and while working in Canada, it can expire without any consequences. However, if one has to travel outside Canada, other than the USA, one should have a TRV to re-enter Canada. That's why, the CIC provides this facility now to obtain/renew a TRV while one is still in Canada and wants to travel to his/her home country. This TRV application can also be submitted online. What I don't understand is, in spite of this facility from within Canada, why would they ask people to go to Los Angeles and arrange their own US visas and all, when the person and CIC office is right here in Canada? Thanks.

chokra

May 15, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-09-2014
Doc's Request.
29-03-2016
AOR Received.
30-01-2015
Med's Request
08-04-2016
Med's Done....
09-04-2016
Passport Req..
10-05-2016
PMM said:
Hi

Please read the OP's post. S/he is in Canada, with a valid work permit. His/Her TRV has expired, so s/he applied for a new TRV to Ottawa. You should note that a student or worker in Canada can apply for a TRV. A work permit application goes to Vegreville, a TRV application goes to Ottawa, 2 separate applications. There appears to be a problem with the TRV application that why it was transferred to a US office for interview. The OP should obtain his/her GCMs notes to determine what the problem is, by applying under the Privacy Act.
Thank you for your input. I hope there's no negative consequence and/or delay in application pending in Los Angeles for obtaining GCMs notes?
Is there anyone who had a similar case and has been to Los Angeles or elsewhere in the USA for a TRV? Thanks.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
chokra said:
There's a difference between WP and a TRV. The TRV is normally given for a single entry and while working in Canada, it can expire without any consequences. However, if one has to travel outside Canada, other than the USA, one should have a TRV to re-enter Canada. That's why, the CIC provides this facility now to obtain/renew a TRV while one is still in Canada and wants to travel to his/her home country. This TRV application can also be submitted online. What I don't understand is, in spite of this facility from within Canada, why would they ask people to go to Los Angeles and arrange their own US visas and all, when the person and CIC office is right here in Canada? Thanks.
TRV (single vs multiple entry ) is not chosen by CIC, you choose to apply for a single entry or a multiple entry. Until a few months ago, there costs were different too i.e 75 CAD vs 150 CAD. It is highly recommended that you apply for multiple entry one when applying for study or work permit. It is temporary residence, so you would always be going out of Canada / coming back. I would say at the very least that it is not a well informed decision for some one to choose to apply for a single entry trv with study / work permit.

Single entry trvs were only applied for when you are visiting a country for some short term activity. Those single entry ones don't even require medicals. Where as when you apply for a trv along with study or wp, medicals are mandatory (except if you are from a country/profession which does not need medicals).

So it is not a question of what is normally given or not. It depends which one you chose while applying.

Recently CIC has changed the process, and now all applications for trv are multiple entry costing 100 CAD.

chokra

May 15, 2012
Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-09-2014
Doc's Request.
29-03-2016
AOR Received.
30-01-2015
Med's Request
08-04-2016
Med's Done....
09-04-2016
Passport Req..
10-05-2016
Could you please read my questions and respond to them if you have any experience regarding them. I'm not looking for a lecture on TRV. Thanks.

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
chokra said:
Could you please read my questions and respond to them if you have any experience regarding them. I'm not looking for a lecture on TRV. Thanks.
I surely would have already, if i had known. Since the situation was unusual to me, i tried understanding what lead to it. I guess that caused the confusion and seem to be causing people to loose patience. Thanks any way :)

anacmw

Oct 30, 2014
Hi can anyone please tell me what happened to your case after it got transferred to LA?
Is there a reason why they did it? How long did it take?

Please respond, I'm desperate, also have flight tickets and vacation booked to go home in a month.
Thanks so much!