TRV processing in NY Canada Consulate - Recent

sania_h

Apr 18, 2013
2/6/13 Applied online
3/19/13 Got request for passport
4/1/13 Passport received in NYC
4/17/13 Passport was dispatched at 4:30 pm
4/18/13 Arrived at 12:00 PM

I actually emailed them 2 days ago asking about my passport and they replied the very next day telling me that my passport has been returned.

Dbs

Apr 6, 2013
sania_h said:
2/6/13 Applied online
3/19/13 Got request for passport
4/1/13 Passport received in NYC
4/17/13 Passport was dispatched at 4:30 pm
4/18/13 Arrived at 12:00 PM

I actually emailed them 2 days ago asking about my passport and they replied the very next day telling me that my passport has been returned.
Looks like it took them 6 weeks to review your application and request passports for stamping. Some folks submitted after you got it quicker. Not sure what's the reasoning.

sania_h

Apr 18, 2013
Dbs said:
Looks like it took them 6 weeks to review your application and request passports for stamping. Some folks submitted after you got it quicker. Not sure what's the reasoning.

I'm just happy I got my passport back. The whole experience was nerve wrecking.
The passport request letter's date was 3/4/2013 but it was posted on my CIC account on 3/19/2013.

Dbs

Apr 6, 2013
sania_h said:
I'm just happy I got my passport back. The whole experience was nerve wrecking.
The passport request letter's date was 3/4/2013 but it was posted on my CIC account on 3/19/2013.
OMG, certainly a system glitch or somebody's negligence that it was posted only on 3/9 even if it was approved on 3/4. In fact, my experience so far of using their online application (and the process) is horrendous..It would have been better if I had submitted by mail to LA as some people that I know did that and got their stamped passport exactly in 15 days as mentioned in their website. However, it's close to 4 weeks now me submitting the online application, but not yet received mail on passport request. After that I'm sure it'll take another 2 weeks for them to return the stamped passport.

sania_h

Apr 18, 2013
Dbs said:
OMG, certainly a system glitch or somebody's negligence that it was posted only on 3/9 even if it was approved on 3/4. In fact, my experience so far of using their online application (and the process) is horrendous..It would have been better if I had submitted by mail to LA as some people that I know did that and got their stamped passport exactly in 15 days as mentioned in their website. However, it's close to 4 weeks now me submitting the online application, but not yet received mail on passport request. After that I'm sure it'll take another 2 weeks for them to return the stamped passport.
Yeah I'm never doing the online visa process again! Just FYI, LA is way faster than NY. Some people got their passports back in 2 days when they sent them to LA. The average for NY is no less than 2 weeks.

sania_h

Apr 18, 2013
mir637 said:
Hi Sania,

Can you please let me know what is the e-mail id that you have sent to NY consulate.
I sent a case specific inquiry on a link provided on their site. I'm not able to post it here. Just google this "case specific inquiry canada consulate new york" and it will be the first hit

mir637

Apr 17, 2013
Thanks sania. I contacted them couple of time through that link. But I did not get any resposne from them till now. Even I have sent them e-mails many times.

Its been more than 2 months since I applied online.

msreeeni

Apr 15, 2013
Quick Update

Today I went to NY Canada Consulate to check the status and submitted a urgent/withdrawal form. But I selected 'No' in the form for 'If the case is not considered not urgent, do you want to withdraw?'. They send this case is not 'considered urgent'.

I said I have visa apt in canada on 22nd April and I need to travel india. The counselor said,I need plan the itinerary after receiving the canada visa. Nothing that I can do later and returned to office :( She said, I just need to wait until I receive it.

But to most of them lady was saying, it will take 40days to process the application.

FYI, I submitted my TRV application in NY Office on 12th March, 13.

Incidentally I was surprised to see reasonable number of people with urgent/withdrawl forms. I was unlucky, not sure if someone got it

sania_h

Apr 18, 2013
mir637 said:
Thanks sania. I contacted them couple of time through that link. But I did not get any resposne from them till now. Even I have sent them e-mails many times.

Its been more than 2 months since I applied online.
Are you checking the status online?

mir637

Apr 17, 2013
Can we check status online? I think NO. I was just checking return USPS tracking status. I think its not a good idea to go to NY personally. They will not hand over the passport to the person directly instead they send it by mail

Dbs

Apr 6, 2013
msreeeni said:
Quick Update

Today I went to NY Canada Consulate to check the status and submitted a urgent/withdrawal form. But I selected 'No' in the form for 'If the case is not considered not urgent, do you want to withdraw?'. They send this case is not 'considered urgent'.

I said I have visa apt in canada on 22nd April and I need to travel india. The counselor said,I need plan the itinerary after receiving the canada visa. Nothing that I can do later and returned to office :( She said, I just need to wait until I receive it.

But to most of them lady was saying, it will take 40days to process the application.

FYI, I submitted my TRV application in NY Office on 12th March, 13.

Incidentally I was surprised to see reasonable number of people with urgent/withdrawl forms. I was unlucky, not sure if someone got it
This is good insight. Did she say 40 business days or calendar days? Also is this for applications submitted online or paper based?

msreeeni

Apr 15, 2013
Dbs said:
This is good insight. Did she say 40 business days or calendar days? Also is this for applications submitted online or paper based?
Sorry, I am not sure about this. I got heard from others in the office. To me counselor, just said 'wait for the mail'

mir637

Apr 17, 2013
I have submitted application online on 31st Jan 2013 and sent my passport on 7th March. Its been more than 70 days for my case.

This is really ridiculous. No status updates online and no email reponses from them. This is just crazy...........

msreeeni

Apr 15, 2013
mir637 said:
I have submitted application online on 31st Jan 2013 and sent my passport on 7th March. Its been more than 70 days for my case.

This is really ridiculous. No status updates online and no email reponses from them. This is just crazy...........
Just want to know, why to apply online and then send passport after they request? Why don't you send all the applications docs after validating along with the passports once?
What is the difference?