+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV IMM5708 instead of IMM5257

neuronaverde

Jul 30, 2018
Hello everyone. My problem is similar, I am student and my husband is worker. We both have our study and work permit respectively. We are trying to renew our visas, but after the online eligibility questionnaire on the site, the application generates the form IMM5257 for me BUT the form IMM5708 for my husband. Searching on the internet the form IMM5708 is not the correct one, I have checked my answers and everything is correct and matches what you have said before here. I don't know if this form is correct now or what it's happening... I appreciate your help and guidance
Hello Andrea...
By the time I did my TRV... I asked here without answers. Finally what I did? So, I had to do all the process with something called "Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) from within Canada". Fill out all the forms, print and send it to Otawa, by Canada Post.

andreak

Feb 8, 2019
Hello Andrea...
By the time I did my TRV... I asked here without answers. Finally what I did? So, I had to do all the process with something called "Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) from within Canada". Fill out all the forms, print and send it to Otawa, by Canada Post.
Hello, Thanks for your answer. Let me clarify something.. did you apply on paper instead of online? and did you fill out the form IMM5257 for both cases (study visa renewal and work visa renewal)? Thanks in advance for your time.

jasmin-alladin

Star Member
Mar 21, 2018
Hello, Thanks for your answer. Let me clarify something.. did you apply on paper instead of online? and did you fill out the form IMM5257 for both cases (study visa renewal and work visa renewal)? Thanks in advance for your time.
Were you able to find answers? I'm applying for TRV within Canada. The system generated imm5257 for me ( principal) and the rest of my dependents imm5708.

Blackearth

Mar 10, 2021
Applying for family members: When generating your checklist for your family members through IRCC’s online system, the correct forms (e.g. [IMM5257]) will not be triggered for your family members. Unfortunately, the system generates a different form: [IMM5708].

If you submit this form, you will be asking for your family members’ status to change, not applying for a TRV. Therefore, please submit separate applications for each family member.

Source: https://students.ubc.ca/international-student-guide/immigration/temporary-resident-visa-trv/apply-temporary-resident-visa-trv-within-canada-tutorial-overview

Bobo1er

Jun 22, 2017
Hi guys
I applied for TRV extension and used IMM5708By mistake. I am in the same situation but They actually approved mine today although I have a valid work permit till 2024! They told me they have extended my stay (visitor record) from 09/27/2021 to 09/30/2022. Which doesn’t make sense as I am already a worker! Anyone know what to do? Thanks

Amir.I

Apr 9, 2022
Any update on this one? I am in the same situation.
how did you guys finally proceed?
-Paper submission
-IMM5708 for Spouse (family member)
-Separate application for Spouse (Family member)

Thanks

jasmy11

Feb 16, 2023
Hi, I am in the same situation as the other people here, I want to submit a TRV application for me and my spouse but the form generated for my Spouse is IMM5708 not IMM5257. I see that someone has suggested submitting 2 separate applications. Did anyone find out any other way to submit one TRV application for all the family? Thanks

VinD123

Apr 5, 2023
Hi, I am in the similar situation. Through flagpole, I have received PGWP and my kid(7 year old) received a visitor record. When I applied for TRV, I have received a PPR. But, for my kid's application, IRCC has sent a "In Canada Approval Letter" after approving the application. can someone please suggest how my kid can get a TRV, while staying in Canada?

MSoytas

Apr 27, 2023
Please enlighten me!

Hi dear All

We have the same problem that all of you encountered before.
We applied for a family application for TRV, but the system presented us IMM5708 (conditions change application) document instead of the IMM5257 (Visitor visa application) form. This is the wrong document, and we are stuck. My wife and I have a work permit and our daughter has a visitor VISA. We can not apply to TRV for our daughter to get a temporary visitor VISA and we will go abroad almost 2 months later and we will not be able to come back because of this problem.

How did you solve this problem, and what is the way?

I would be grateful if you could help us.

Everyone wrote the same problem but there is no any reply or any solution for this issue....!!!

jasmy11

Feb 16, 2023
Please enlighten me!

Hi dear All

We have the same problem that all of you encountered before.
We applied for a family application for TRV, but the system presented us IMM5708 (conditions change application) document instead of the IMM5257 (Visitor visa application) form. This is the wrong document, and we are stuck. My wife and I have a work permit and our daughter has a visitor VISA. We can not apply to TRV for our daughter to get a temporary visitor VISA and we will go abroad almost 2 months later and we will not be able to come back because of this problem.

How did you solve this problem, and what is the way?

I would be grateful if you could help us.

Everyone wrote the same problem but there is no any reply or any solution for this issue....!!!
Hi,
We did two separate application one for me and one for my spouse, because in this way we just have to fill IMM5257 for both of us. My spouse has another GC key account and we applied from there for him.
Hope this helps.
Good luck

MSoytas

Apr 27, 2023
Hi,
We did two separate application one for me and one for my spouse, because in this way we just have to fill IMM5257 for both of us. My spouse has another GC key account and we applied from there for him.
Hope this helps.
Good luck
Hi jasmy11 thanks for your kind reply.

Yes we consider it and We can do it but we are stuck to do this for our 8 yo daughter. when we applied separately for me and my wife, we can not apply for our daughter and the system presents IMM5708 (conditions change application) for our daughter again.

I think we can not open an account for our daughter, we don't know what we will do.

We wrote to the canada.ca but they don't care about

Do you have any opinion for the children

Mustafa

jasmy11

Feb 16, 2023
Hi jasmy11 thanks for your kind reply.

Yes we consider it and We can do it but we are stuck to do this for our 8 yo daughter. when we applied separately for me and my wife, we can not apply for our daughter and the system presents IMM5708 (conditions change application) for our daughter again.

I think we can not open an account for our daughter, we don't know what we will do.

We wrote to the canada.ca but they don't care about

Do you have any opinion for the children

Mustafa
Hi Mustafa,
I don't know any similar situation I am sorry.
You mentioned above that your daughter has a visitor visa and I was going through the meaning of TRV and see the link https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5256-applying-visitor-visa-temporary-resident-visa.html
What is a Temporary Resident Visa?
A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), also referred to as a visitor visa, is an official document issued by a Canadian visa office that is placed in your passport to show that you have met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident (either as a visitor, a student, or a worker).

If she has a valid visitor visa maybe she should be okay based on this.

MSoytas

Apr 27, 2023
Hi Mustafa,
I don't know any similar situation I am sorry.
You mentioned above that your daughter has a visitor visa and I was going through the meaning of TRV and see the link https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-5256-applying-visitor-visa-temporary-resident-visa.html
What is a Temporary Resident Visa?
A Temporary Resident Visa (TRV), also referred to as a visitor visa, is an official document issued by a Canadian visa office that is placed in your passport to show that you have met the requirements for admission to Canada as a temporary resident (either as a visitor, a student, or a worker).

If she has a valid visitor visa maybe she should be okay based on this.
Thanks jasmy11

Actually, I already read these pages a lot of times, but there is no clear explanation about the children, and when I am applying, the system presents me 5257, but it presents 5708 to my daughter, and we can not solve this problem. my wife and I can take it separately in 10 days, nor problem, but we are stuck for our daughter.

Thanks again for your kind explanations and replies; I will keep looking at it again. and I will wait the other friends replies who had this problem before and has any children,

Regards

Jul 28, 2022
Hello everyone. My problem is similar, we also stuck with the TRV application for my 5 yr old son,
can you guys tell me how you resolved this,

In our case, myself and wife got PGWP visa and my son got study permit
So for TRV , do we need to create a separate gckey for my son,/ Is it possible to create a gckey for a minor?

Thanks
Stephin

PedroCoral

Star Member
Oct 23, 2020
I'm in the same situation as all of you.

Solution (for a couple): Do it separately, it will trigger the right form 5257.
Solution (family with kids): Do it on paper :( I know, it will take more time (a lot compared to online), but the system just won't trigger the right form.
Alternative solution (family with kids): Through a representative, they have a portal with different options and they can apply directly to what they want (TRV)so they will get it easier.