+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV for spouse and dependant

Mgillanders

Star Member
Jul 16, 2023
We understand your point. Our point is that the amount it 'adds to it' is minimal, effectively approaching zero.

Your original case, as stated, was this: "Why not as the sponsor and husband make a affidavit sworn in front of the rcmp that I take full legal responsibility of the visitors departure financial and medical? Then if they refuse launch a judicial review and go public !"

Okay. But we are contending that an affidavit (sworn in front of whomever) as compared to a simple letter has very little or zero effective influence on either the likelihood of refusal or the likelihood of success in a judicial review (which, repeat, does not mean the applicant is guaranteed approval of the TRV anyway).

And if so, the 'why not' in your question is "it costs money and time for precious little or no purpose whatsoever." Let the applicants decide, of course.

You say "it's your opinion, nothing more." Likewise - your point is an opinion.

And a small point: there are others here with some or even substantial experience, one of whom's experience is as a lawyer. Yes, a lawyer's opinion is still an opinion, but relevant experience and training means that the opinions of some are more valuable and likely to be correct than that of those without the experience and training.

[Side note: thanks for the information that RCMP officers can act as commissioners of oaths. The relevant point, however, is whether they provide this service upon request, as you seem to suggest. Have you ever tried this?

My belief is that they do not generally provide this as a service to the public (or possibly, if so, only in very rare situations such as isolated detachments and communities that may from time to time have no other available commissioners). The context in which an RCMP officer might need to have this power is in conducting criminal investigations, i.e. collecting statements from witnesses for the purposes of specific court proceedings. Possibly also in some civil proceedings but I don't know about that.

Please do try, though - go to an RCMP detachment and ask, or call them.]
I have requested RCMP for land titles before

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
[Side note: thanks for the information that RCMP officers can act as commissioners of oaths. The relevant point, however, is whether they provide this service upon request, as you seem to suggest. Have you ever tried this?

My belief is that they do not generally provide this as a service to the public (or possibly, if so, only in very rare situations such as isolated detachments and communities that may from time to time have no other available commissioners). The context in which an RCMP officer might need to have this power is in conducting criminal investigations, i.e. collecting statements from witnesses for the purposes of specific court proceedings. Possibly also in some civil proceedings but I don't know about that.

[/QUOTE]
You might want to temper your gratitude for @Mgillanders (mis)information about RCMP officers.

To confirm my own thoughts, I just now (9:15, a.m., Pacific Daylight Savings Time) called the RCMP office in Nanaimo, BC. I spoke with an officer of some years experience. He explained that RCMP officers are commissioners, confined to matters to do with official police work. He scoffed at the notion that an officer would depose a member of the public wanting to make an affidavit for immigration purposes. I was (pleasantly) surprised when he added (gratuitously): "I doubt the IRCC would be impressed with such an affidavit."

I should add, @armoured, that your sense of things was quite correct when you set out your views on the context in which an RCMP officer might exercise the powers of a commissioner.

Last edited:
Reactions: armoured

Mgillanders

Star Member
Jul 16, 2023

You might want to temper your gratitude for @Mgillanders (mis)information about RCMP officers.

To confirm my own thoughts, I just now (9:15, a.m., Pacific Daylight Savings Time) called the RCMP office in Nanaimo, BC. I spoke with an officer of some years experience. He explained that RCMP officers are commissioners, confined to matters to do with official police work. He scoffed at the notion that an officer would depose a member of the public wanting to make an affidavit for immigration purposes. I was (pleasantly) surprised when he added (gratuitously): "I doubt the IRCC would be impressed with such an affidavit."
[/QUOTE]
Hmm I just went to the local RCMP and got my land titles signed last week and what does it really matter who signs it just a commissioner of oath did you not say this I have returned to edit this post because I realize that our pointless debate (but you continue to debate) has sucked up a lot of bandwidth here and really adds nothing to what started out as a useful thread. We have not contributed anything of value and have, instead, derogated from its utility. Sure, there was a point and counterpoint to be made, but it should have been much more confined. I regret my part in it. I'll let you fire the last salvo and be declared the winner. I'll go to my room and get back to whining(but you continue to whine)

Last edited:

Batkhan87

Star Member
Jun 16, 2023
Just arrive BVL for TRV application today but no PPR and today July 18 final decision but nothing on pr tracker. Application submitted June 29 and eligibility completed July 7 , BVL received today 18 July . What I can understand from this please help me out here thanks.

Reactions: Mystogan

Mystogan

Jan 31, 2023
Just arrive BVL for TRV application today but no PPR and today July 18 final decision but nothing on pr tracker. Application submitted June 29 and eligibility completed July 7 , BVL received today 18 July . What I can understand from this please help me out here thanks.
Most people seem to be getting BVL/PPR on the same day. It also says for me final decision. I will update you if anything changes.

NamNg

Star Member
Apr 24, 2018
when CBSA officer ask my spouse at the airport when she will return to home country after coming to Canada under TRV, should she answer that she will stay until sponsor application is approved? or she will return as the date on the return flight ticket?

Last edited:

InfoSeeker12

Champion Member
Aug 28, 2012
Canada
LANDED..........
Sep 2013
when CBSA officer ask my spouse at the airport when she will return to home country after coming to Canada under TRV, should she answer that she will stay until sponsor application is approved? or she will return as the date on the return flight ticket?
in my opinion, her response should be:
"I plan to return back on this date (and be specific - plan a date in mind - 6 month, or 5month 20 days from arrival date, or if there is a return ticket, then stick to that date...all dates should ideally correspond to each other), unless my PR application is processed earlier" And at that moment, hand in what ever document/email your spouse has received from CIC (AOR at least).

Having said that, as far as we have read about few cases here, where spouses have recently entered Canada on TRV, no questions were asked. However its a good plan to be ready.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
in my opinion, her response should be:
"I plan to return back on this date (and be specific - plan a date in mind - 6 month, or 5month 20 days from arrival date, or if there is a return ticket, then stick to that date...all dates should ideally correspond to each other), unless my PR application is processed earlier"
Largely agree with minor comments. As somebody else noted, they don't seem to usually inquire too much of those with TRVs. I believe the CBSA attitude is that if someone has a TRV, IRCC has already done the work and they are the lead agency. That said, they will take action esp if they see obvious signs that someone entering to visit is clearly not entering to visit.

Main bit I think everyone has to get used to is: if you enter with intent to leave on a certain day or whatever, it is okay to change your mind later - especially if circumstances change.

-I don't think there's any need to stick the "unless my PR application is processed earlier" on the end there when speaking with the officer.
-That is a good example of when it is better (in my opinion) to just answer questions when asked.
-Even then, I would preferentially not state as "if PR app approved, I will stay", but instead something like "I'd have to decide what to do, I still have things to tie up in home country."

For those travelling with return tickets, I don't think there's need to freak out. Just say when (roughly) you expect to depart, and say you plan to buy a ticket later or eg travel to USA and return from there. In the day of internet tickets, this is much more common. (And CBSA now understands that tickets aren't a guarantee the person will leave then anyway) I think it's more credible to give reasons you need to return anyway.

But most people I know haven't been asked this stuff in a lot of detail nowadays, just purpose of visit, how long, where you staying, and not much more.

InfoSeeker12

Champion Member
Aug 28, 2012
Canada
LANDED..........
Sep 2013
Largely agree with minor comments. As somebody else noted, they don't seem to usually inquire too much of those with TRVs. I believe the .............
This is why i like this forum. Each of us can help build on each other's experience or input - and strengthen our application/response.
Actually the response suggested by you - is much more smart and concise. I'd definitely use that phrase...something like "I'd have to decide what to do, I still have things to tie up in home country."
Having said that, there is no guarantee CIC officer will not ask - are you working there? in the middle of your studies? ...etc. There can always be a smartass officer and its only natural they react that way, if a visitor is trying to mask their answer / or not comfortable in giving that answer (and yes they can see it if someone's not responding naturally).

Again, everyone reading this ....PLEASE CHILL....RELAXXX...perhaps we are looking things at the very micro level and the very rare cases. As long as you have your CiC application papers, a copy of the new TRV measures, which is purposely fast-tracked for spouses to come to Canada and spend their remaining application time with their family, EVERYTHING WILL BE OK!----i dont think the question 'how long you are staying here' will be an issue for spouses.

For the spouses traveling on TRV, PLS keep all emails from CIC (AOR/SA..etc) handy to provide to CIC officer, incase you are interviewed in detail.

Mystogan

Jan 31, 2023
By the grace of almighty Allah today it’s updated on tracker visa number and expiry date. I am hoping I will receive passport request soon thanks for all who supported me here and best of luck for all those in same boat.
Alhamdulilah brother I have also received Visa number and expiry date. InshaAllah PPR follows soon and everything goes well.