+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV for spouse and dependant

djjosh

Aug 10, 2021
We have yet to see how these spousal application will be assessed compared to previous TRVs for spouses. It’s impossible to know whether you should include proof of employment for your spouse abroad like you used to. We have no idea how IRCC is going to assess application while also trying to prevent spouses with tons of red flags from entering Canada. Assume this is partially an attempt to meet labour needs without putting additional strain on housing but there are huge potential issue with this program from partners not qualifying for healthcare in most provinces to difficulty assessing true relationships if there has been minimal time spent in a relationship. It is very hard and expensive to remove people from Canada once they have entered which is why most processing tended to be done from outside of Canada.
Yes this new announcement seems like a recipe for a ton of fraud. It's too easy to submit a PR application and then within a month get a TRV because of it. Something is not quite right. Not sure what to do then. Just wait and see?

Reactions: Charbk

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
Yes this new announcement seems like a recipe for a ton of fraud. It's too easy to submit a PR application and then within a month get a TRV because of it. Something is not quite right. Not sure what to do then. Just wait and see?
I think both you and @canuck78 have raised legitimate concerns.

I would be surprised to see many TRVs approved for very recent TRV applicants. Maybe some hope for those that are well along the road, eg., AOR and SA received, police clearances received, medical exam done, etc.

Another concern for those of us PR applicants who see no hope for TRV is that all those rushing to procure TRVs will clog up the system, what with the promised 30-day turnaround, etc. That can only mean that PR applications will be put on the back burner while the TRVs take priority. There is clearly more workload now for IRCC and something has to give. I suspect that the ordinary PR applicant will be the sacrificial lamb. Probably just sour grapes on my part.

Last edited:

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
I think that health care is not that big an issue for trv for 6 months to a year specially with current sponsorship that just passed the medicals. Unless spouses that are or would be pregnant. We know how costly thiw is specially if its coming out of your own pocket. That is why you are right that if trv gets approved a health insurance is a must.
Nothing wrong with your thinking comarxx. Recent medical should be some assurance as to overall health. But, accidents can happen. I am aware of one where the visitor was in an accident and the costs included road ambulance, air ambulance x 2, hospital ICU for a week, on a ward for 10 days or so past that, etc., etc. What would you suppose to be the total of the bills?

comarxx

Jan 12, 2012
Manila
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nothing wrong with your thinking comarxx. Recent medical should be some assurance as to overall health. But, accidents can happen. I am aware of one where the visitor was in an accident and the costs included road ambulance, air ambulance x 2, hospital ICU for a week, on a ward for 10 days or so past that, etc., etc. What would you suppose to be the total of the bills?
Yes, I understand. A lot of things can happen. That is why I said it is wise to get a health insurance if trv gets approved while waiting for pr approval.

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
Yes, I understand. A lot of things can happen. That is why I said it is wise to get a health insurance if trv gets approved while waiting for pr approval.
But how many will actually take out such insurance? Coming to Canada for a 2-week visit is one thing, but the idea now is that PR applicants applying for TRVs will be planning to stay for many months. The concerns articulated by @canuck78 remain. Let's suppose that someone here on a TRV with limited or no insurance incurs a large hospital bill, who will cover it? My guess is the taxpayers. Unlike the Philippines, Canadian hospitals do not turn away those unable to prove up front that they will be able to pay the tab.

comarxx

Jan 12, 2012
Manila
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
But how many will actually take out such insurance? Coming to Canada for a 2-week visit is one thing, but the idea now is that PR applicants applying for TRVs will be planning to stay for many months. The concerns articulated by @canuck78 remain. Let's suppose that someone here on a TRV with limited or no insurance incurs a large hospital bill, who will cover it? My guess is the taxpayers. Unlike the Philippines, Canadian hospitals do not turn away those unable to prove up front that they will be able to pay the tab.
That’s actually a good point. I think that ircc should have required private health insurance as one of the requirements for as long as the visitor visa(trv) is valid.

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
That’s actually a good point. I think that ircc should have required private health insurance as one of the requirements for as long as the visitor visa(trv) is valid.
And that's a good point too. You may recall that awhile back the Philippines (and I think some other countries) required visitors to provide proof of Covid insurance in order to get in. And that was the Philippines, even with its quite modest medical costs and ability to turn away those unable to pay. Now, under this new program, there should be some minimum health insurance requirement imposed by the IRCC.

Reactions: comarxx

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
Are your family from the Philippine? IRCC just announced a new visa free for 13 countries including Philippine
Sounds great until you spend all the time it takes for that video to get down to the details. Then we are told when does visa free not really mean visa free. The program applies only to those who have held a Canadian visa in the past 10 years or who hold a U.S. Visa.

Reactions: YVR123

NamNg

Star Member
Apr 24, 2018
Sounds great until you spend all the time it takes for that video to get down to the details. Then we are told when does visa free not really mean visa free. The program applies only to those who have held a Canadian visa in the past 10 years or who hold a U.S. Visa.
Oh I guessed I missed that part then, anyone without a previous visa won't be eligible then...

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I think that health care is not that big an issue for trv for 6 months to a year specially with current sponsorship that just passed the medicals. Unless spouses that are or would be pregnant. We know how costly thiw is specially if its coming out of your own pocket. That is why you are right that if trv gets approved a health insurance is a must.

You are also right regarding tons of red flags that would come in IRCC’s way. There will be tons of application after the announcement. Now we will see the 90 or 98 percent approval rate.
Given we are talking about spousal sponsorship and there have been quite a few cases where spouses attempted to reunite because the wife was pregnant there will be women who arrive on TRVs already pregnant. If they are already pregnant they will not be able to pay for private insurance that covers their whole pregnancy. There are some policies that cover emergencies in the first few months but people need to read the fine print and consider whether they will have health coverage. Also plenty of spouses that have chronic conditions like diabetes for example.