+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV for spouse and dependant

comarxx

Jan 12, 2012
Manila
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I remain doubtful about the whole thing.

Have they created a special TRV application process for family reunification? If not, anyone applying on that basis will simply be sending off what appears to be an ordinary TRV application that will be tossed on the pile, awaiting a decision and unless it gets a hard look (which almost never happens), the visa officer won't even recognize it as seeking family reunification.
I understand what you are saying Kaibigan. But see, for me, as long as I can do something to getting or being together with my spouse i’ll do it. Either calling IRCC every two weeks for an update or reading everything here in the forum. Even anout guessing what is behind ghost update and about this na thing makes me feel like i’m doing something even though in actuality it will not result in anything.

That is how much I want them to be with me. Lets be honest here Kaibigan, if not for previous application I know you would apply too in a heart beat with this new trv even if you think it will get toss here and there too like any other application.

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
I understand what you are saying Kaibigan. But see, for me, as long as I can do something to getting or being together with my spouse i’ll do it. Either calling IRCC every two weeks for an update or reading everything here in the forum. Even anout guessing what is behind ghost update and about this na thing makes me feel like i’m doing something even though in actuality it will not result in anything.

That is how much I want them to be with me. Lets be honest here Kaibigan, if not for previous application I know you would apply too in a heart beat with this new trv even if you think it will get toss here and there too like any other application.
I agree completely. Were it not for the refusal we received 2 days after applying in March 2023 (our third application), and had we made no third application at that time (and we were worried then about what a third refusal might do to our PR application), I would risk making a third TRV application now. But, it would be our 4th application and the IRCC would be thinking nothing has changed since we applied 2 months ago and we have to be punished for applying again. I can hear the IRCC asking: "What part of 'no' don't you understand?"

• Sad
Reactions: comarxx

Flyingfast

Feb 9, 2022

All I can say is never trust anything, a Liberal MP says!

Reactions: comarxx

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have started the application last night it was so easy. For biometric it only as if you already submitted biometric, and for medical you just enter the IME number if you already passed medical. I am just waiting for my husband to print his statement of account and the fact that we have 3 kids included in the application I stated that I will be supporting financially too.

Are the 3 children the biological children of the Canadian PR or citizen? If not they may not have access to public schooling and you and the children may not have access to free public healthcare in Canada. The children especially will be unlikely to qualify for free public healthcare until they receive PR if they are stepchildren. What province will you be moving to?

In a case this year a child of a spouse being sponsored who was unrelated to the spouse who is the one sponsoring had to leave school when it was discovered she was not eligible to attend school for free on her TRV. She was told she needed a study permit. What wasn’t clear to the mother was she would need a study permit and pay international fees to attend public school. She has had to miss school for a year while she waits for her PR to be approved. She also wouldn’t qualify for healthcare. The fact that many will not qualify for “free” public healthcare or “free” public education should be part of the announcement. The federal government may not even realize that is the case. There should be a warning that families should look into this when considering what is best for their family and consider things like access to healthcare when making decision like family planning before receiving PR. Warning families that they should be taking out travel medical insurance like any other visitor is important. In the case of pregnancy, if you are already pregnant most policies won’t cover most things related to a pregnancy except some things in the initial phases of pregnancy if lucky.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'm also planning on applying for TRV for my spouse, but I just have few questions:

1. What do I list as "proof of means of financial support" if I'm the one who'll be covering the expense? She has job but in a 3rd world country, even a good paying job is not enough for Canada.

2. Proof of upfront medical exam: we've already done a medical test for the spousal visa, could we just link and use that for this?

We've already submitted our spousal application, and have received AOR, passed both sponsor eligibility and medical exam.
Proof of savings and proof of employment and salary for the spouse living who is the one sponsoring their spouse is generally the best proof of financial means. You can also include any savings from the person being sponsored for the person being sponsored. If that doesn’t add up to much there are some other her options but it seems that you should be fine if your spouse has a good level of savings and is currently employed in Canada so is receiving regular payments to support the family and is not just dependent on savings.

Reactions: alexru

Aish####a

Star Member
Jan 6, 2022
Are the 3 children the biological children of the Canadian PR or citizen? If not they may not have access to public schooling and you and the children may not have access to free public healthcare in Canada. The children especially will unlikely to qualify for free public healthcare until they receive PR if they are stepchildren. What province will you be moving to?
I am the sponsor and I am their biological mother.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I agree completely. Were it not for the refusal we received 2 days after applying in March 2023 (our third application), and had we made no third application at that time (and we were worried then about what a third refusal might do to our PR application), I would risk making a third TRV application now. But, it would be our 4th application and the IRCC would be thinking nothing has changed since we applied 2 months ago and we have to be punished for applying again. I can hear the IRCC asking: "What part of 'no' don't you understand?"
With announcements like this, we really need to wait and hear more details, and then see how put into action.

Reactions: Kaibigan

PositiveEnergy

Aug 3, 2019
I remain doubtful about the whole thing.

Have they created a special TRV application process for family reunification? If not, anyone applying on that basis will simply be sending off what appears to be an ordinary TRV application that will be tossed on the pile, awaiting a decision and unless it gets a hard look (which almost never happens), the visa officer won't even recognize it as seeking family reunification.
According to article, if you have any PR application and have a TRV application, the system with screen for those kind of applications and pick them

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
According to article, if you have any PR application and have a TRV application, the system with screen for those kind of applications and pick them
Press releases and what actually happens are often different so let’s see what actually happens. Most of the articles being published are filled with inaccuracies. Some are including parent visas as well which doesn’t seem to be the case. Most writing these articles are written by people unfamiliar with immigration. Let’s all wait and see how this new announcement leads to any changes in processing for TRVs for spouses of PRs and Canadian citizens.

Reactions: Charbk

comarxx

Jan 12, 2012
Manila
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Update: we submitted our application for this new trv!

It’s pretty straight forward application in the new portal. Just attaching passport copies and documents/proofs at the end. And of course you have to pay.

They will send you messages in the portal and you also get something like the one in gckey screen where all the progress and details. There is even a progress bar.

I will be still with my spouse and daughter for 3 weeks so we only have 10 days or less not being together to know the result. Fingers crossing!

somniferum

Nov 26, 2022
Update: we submitted our application for this new trv!

It’s pretty straight forward application in the new portal. Just attaching passport copies and documents/proofs at the end. And of course you have to pay.

They will send you messages in the portal and you also get something like the one in gckey screen where all the progress and details. There is even a progress bar.

I will be still with my spouse and daughter for 3 weeks so we only have 10 days or less not being together to know the result. Fingers crossing!
good luck! Leaving to Philippines soon to see my wife after almost 1 yr apart. Our PR application is going good, but we may try this updated TRV process too. We had TRV rejected once previously, but it was before we submitted PR application. Is this your first trv application or did you have previous?