+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV Extension

smacdonald10

Apr 18, 2015
Hello folks,

I've looked just about everywhere and I can't find an answer to my question.

I'm a Belgian citizen here in Canada visiting my long-time partner. My 6 month visitor visa will expire on April 22, 2015. I submitted an extension form on March 22 via the online form.

Currently, the processing times are around 2 months, which allows me implied status until around late May, or until they process the application.

Here is my question: Considering that my visa will be expired by the time they even look at the extension form, will my visa still be ''extendable''? Or will they re-issue a new visitor visa if my extension is successful? Basically, what I am asking, am I already too late? Will they just throw out the extension application since my visa will already be expired by then?

As a follow-up, if I submit another application by mail (considerably longer processing times) will that grant me further implied status even if the online application is refused? Or will the second by-mail application be voided with the refusal of the first?

Thank you to anyone and everyone who can help! And hey, if you have some suggestions on what I might be able to do, let me know! I've spent two damn cold winters here in southern Québec (two separate 6 month visitor visas, Oct-Apr) and I'd really love to finally experience a Canadian summer! I'll continue to explore the forums for answers and I hope I can find someone in a situation that I can help!

All the best to anyone trying to find their way to this great country!

Jalex23

VIP Member
Apr 12, 2013
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
05-09-2013
Doc's Request.
09-04-2014
AOR Received.
06-11-2013
Med's Request
05-04-2014
Med's Done....
20-05-2014
Passport Req..
07-07-2014
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2014
LANDED..........
06-09-2014
smacdonald10 said:
I'm a Belgian citizen here in Canada visiting my long-time partner. My 6 month visitor visa will expire on April 22, 2015. I submitted an extension form on March 22 via the online form.
Belgian citizens can't have Visas (Visa exempt country). I would therefore assume you are talkng about a Visitor STATUS.

smacdonald10 said:
Here is my question: Considering that my visa will be expired by the time they even look at the extension form, will my visa still be ''extendable''? Or will they re-issue a new visitor visa if my extension is successful? Basically, what I am asking, am I already too late? Will they just throw out the extension application since my visa will already be expired by then?
I would recomend you read more on implied status. Implied status can't coexist with a valid status. It fills the gap between an expired status and the issuing (or not) of a new one.

smacdonald10 said:
As a follow-up, if I submit another application by mail (considerably longer processing times) will that grant me further implied status even if the online application is refused? Or will the second by-mail application be voided with the refusal of the first?
You can only have one extension application at a time. If you submit a new one it will be refused.

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
smacdonald10 said:
Hello folks,

I've looked just about everywhere and I can't find an answer to my question.

Currently, the processing times are around 2 months, which allows me implied status until around late May, or until they process the application.

Thank you to anyone and everyone who can help! And hey, if you have some suggestions on what I might be able to do, let me know! I've spent two damn cold winters here in southern Québec (two separate 6 month visitor visas, Oct-Apr) and I'd really love to finally experience a Canadian summer! I'll continue to explore the forums for answers and I hope I can find someone in a situation that I can help!

All the best to anyone trying to find their way to this great country!
1) you will remain on implied status until CIC decide on your application no mater how much long it takes. In most of the cases the visa do get expired and the applicant stay in Canada on implied status till a decision is made on the application. on approval of the extension you will receive a document called "visitor record" which will allow you to live in canada as a visitor until the document expires or you leave the country which ever comes first. you can look at the link below to see how the visitor record looks like

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-hj0dYOiV3P4/U7_rd4RQbVI/AAAAAAAABi4/Z-bKj_NjRog/s1600/Visitor+Record.jpg

So for your visitor visa extension you wont get a passport request or new visa sticker on your passport. and the visitor record which you will get will have the starting date of 22 April, 2015. so nothing to worry about you are not late. just wait to hear back from CIC.

2) you cannot re-submit the same application/duplicate application. it will not give you any additional implied status but rather have a negative impact on your first application and may cause more delay and more problems.

hope it helps

smacdonald10

Apr 18, 2015
Wow jalex and kriv! You guys are the best! Thanks for your thorough and insightful answers! I huge burden of uuncertaintyis lifted! II'lldo my best on this forum to help others, this feeling is great!

All the best to anyone else dealing with the CIC!