+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV before spousal PR sponsorship

KMKBALAMURUGAN

May 18, 2017
Hi

I'm getting married on 20th Sep 2018. My spouse (to be) is from India and I'm a permanent resident of Canada. I would like to sponsor her PR VISA after 20th Sep, but just that I want her to travel to Canada as soon as possible; would like to apply for a TRV for her (before starting with PR sponsorship)

1. Please let me know the chances of her being issued a TRV, if I declare that she is my spouse and would like to stay with me for a month only. (Spousal sponsorship process will not be started at this point)

2. There is another option that I'm still thinking of - I can apply for her TRV right away (her marital status is single) asking my friend in Canada (who is a PR) to invite her for Christmas break, but my marriage would be registered on 20th Sep 2018 for sure. This might affect TRV ? As TRV application would say that applicant is single and while processingcthe TRV (during verification), CIC might get to know that her marital status changed on 20th Sep (i.e. 4 days after filing TRV application)

NOTE: My spouse (to be) is a full time MBBS student and would complete course only in Jan 2018. I can submit supporting docs ('Bonafide certificate) from the university for the same. She needs to travel back to India in a month or two for sure, to complete her course.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.

csarah15

Star Member
May 28, 2018
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
30-05-2018
AOR Received.
11-07-2018
Hi

I'm getting married on 20th Sep 2018. My spouse (to be) is from India and I'm a permanent resident of Canada. I would like to sponsor her PR VISA after 20th Sep, but just that I want her to travel to Canada as soon as possible; would like to apply for a TRV for her (before starting with PR sponsorship)

1. Please let me know the chances of her being issued a TRV, if I declare that she is my spouse and would like to stay with me for a month only. (Spousal sponsorship process will not be started at this point)

2. There is another option that I'm still thinking of - I can apply for her TRV right away (her marital status is single) asking my friend in Canada (who is a PR) to invite her for Christmas break, but my marriage would be registered on 20th Sep 2018 for sure. This might affect TRV ? As TRV application would say that applicant is single and while processingcthe TRV (during verification), CIC might get to know that her marital status changed on 20th Sep (i.e. 4 days after filing TRV application)

NOTE: My spouse (to be) is a full time MBBS student and would complete course only in Jan 2018. I can submit supporting docs ('Bonafide certificate) from the university for the same. She needs to travel back to India in a month or two for sure, to complete her course.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
I would say apply for a TRV visa first, she shouldn't have a problem getting it, as your friend inviting her or yourself. Then I am guessing she will come here in Jan after her studies are done? If so I would also suggest you apply for her sponsorship as an inland applicant once she lands. This way the only time you both spend apart would be between when you return to Canada after the wedding and Jan when she finishes her studies and travels here, around 4ish months.

monkeys89

Aug 24, 2018
Category........
FAM
Just be aware that starting an inland application and then leaving the country for a length of time may not be the best idea. There is a risk (small, but a risk) that readmission to Canada may be an issue even while holding a valid multi-entry TRV.

Reactions: csarah15

KMKBALAMURUGAN

May 18, 2017
I would say apply for a TRV visa first, she shouldn't have a problem getting it, as your friend inviting her or yourself. Then I am guessing she will come here in Jan after her studies are done? If so I would also suggest you apply for her sponsorship as an inland applicant once she lands. This way the only time you both spend apart would be between when you return to Canada after the wedding and Jan when she finishes her studies and travels here, around 4ish months.

Thanks for your suggestion. My only concern here is, since she declares herself ‘single’ while applying for TRV and gets married (3days after filing TRV application) This might be problem during the verification process for TRV ?

KMKBALAMURUGAN

May 18, 2017
Just be aware that starting an inland application and then leaving the country for a length of time may not be the best idea. There is a risk (small, but a risk) that readmission to Canada may be an issue even while holding a valid multi-entry TRV.
Sure. Thanks for pointing out. I’ll keep this in mind.

csarah15

Star Member
May 28, 2018
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
30-05-2018
AOR Received.
11-07-2018
Yes I totally agree, which is why I suggest that she only come and join you here in Canada after she has finished her studies. But apply for her TRV now. It is advised that travels be kept to a 2-3 maximum if really necessary.

KMKBALAMURUGAN

May 18, 2017
Hello all, My spouse’s TRV has been refused stating that there are not enough ties with the country. Please suggest if I can refile a TRV application for her declaring that she is my wife ? (all docs say marriage certificate, surname change in passport and surname change in national identification document are ready)

What are the chances that she would get a TRV now?
Now, I’ve got her leave letter from University, her property documents in India as additional supporting documents.

INORE: haven’t started with her PR processing yet.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello all, My spouse’s TRV has been refused stating that there are not enough ties with the country. Please suggest if I can refile a TRV application for her declaring that she is my wife ? (all docs say marriage certificate, surname change in passport and surname change in national identification document are ready)

What are the chances that she would get a TRV now?
Now, I’ve got her leave letter from University, her property documents in India as additional supporting documents.

INORE: haven’t started with her PR processing yet.
Her chances of approval have actually decreased now that you are married.

I would focus on applying to sponsor her for PR outland. Since the first TRV has been refused, she most likely won't be able to come to Canada until she has an approved PR visa.

KMKBALAMURUGAN

May 18, 2017
Hi Scylla,
Not sure if you have read my post completely. That refusal is when my friend invited her as a tourist. Now,I can invite her as my wife visiting me for christmas. Also, she has to go back anyway to finish her studies.

What are tbe chances??

Her chances of approval have actually decreased now that you are married.

I would focus on applying to sponsor her for PR outland. Since the first TRV has been refused, she most likely won't be able to come to Canada until she has an approved PR visa.
ave

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Scylla,
Not sure if you have read my post completely. That refusal is when my friend invited her as a tourist. Now,I can invite her as my wife visiting me for christmas. Also, she has to go back anyway to finish her studies.

What are tbe chances??

ave
I did read your post. Again, now that you are married, the chances that a TRV will be approved are lower than they were before. This is because IRCC will suspect she may have plans to remain in Canada long term and that you may be bringing her to Canada as a visitor so that you can sponsor her for PR inland. You can certainly apply again - however the chances of approval are quite low given she already has one refusal and given you are married.

KMKBALAMURUGAN

May 18, 2017
Thanks Scylla. If there is a second rejection, can that help add weightage to my sponsorship after that ? (family reunion)

I did read your post. Again, now that you are married, the chances that a TRV will be approved are lower than they were before. This is because IRCC will suspect she may have plans to remain in Canada long term and that you may be bringing her to Canada as a visitor so that you can sponsor her for PR inland. You can certainly apply again - however the chances of approval are quite low given she already has one refusal and given you are married.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thanks Scylla. If there is a second rejection, can that help add weightage to my sponsorship after that ? (family reunion)
It can actually be the opposite. You want to keep the refusals to a minimum since it can sometimes make IRCC concerned the applicant's primary objective is to reach Canada and raise concerns it's a marriage of convenience. Once refusal is fine. Two refusals is typically still OK. You want to avoid having more than two refusals.

suheil88

Oct 9, 2018
Hi Scylla,
I am also in a similar situation. I am a PR holder and getting married in December. My would be wife is from India. I am planning to sponsor her PR immediately after getting married. I wish to get her to Canada at the earliest, so want to sponsor her TRV as well. What are the chances that it will get approved if I initiate it post submitting PR application? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

monkeys89

Aug 24, 2018
Category........
FAM
Hi Scylla,
I am also in a similar situation. I am a PR holder and getting married in December. My would be wife is from India. I am planning to sponsor her PR immediately after getting married. I wish to get her to Canada at the earliest, so want to sponsor her TRV as well. What are the chances that it will get approved if I initiate it post submitting PR application? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.
Think aboutnyour question a little and read the posts above. CIC visa application are reviewed to determine if the TRV applicant has enough ties to their home country to reduce their risks of overstaying a visa.

What you are proposing to do is apply for a TRV visa after submitting an official application demonstrating ties to Canada and a desire to leave the home country.

There are cases where it's been approved, but think from the viewpoint of CIC .