+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRV 6 Month Stay Duration

Alibaba5978

Jul 13, 2018
Hi There!

My parents are currently visiting canada, they have a 5 year Multiple Entry TRV.

From my understanding they are allowed To stay in Canada for a 6 month duration.

My question is:
1) Is it a requirement for them to leave by air from Canada if that's how they arrived in Canada initially, or if they can catch a bus to America and take a flight back home from there?
2) If they do take a bus to America from Canada, does that mean that they can stay for another 6 months when they come back again to Canada?

I understand it might sound like a silly question, but I'm trying to be 100% that they will not break their visa conditions.

Kind Regards,
Ali

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You should try applying for a visitor extension from within Canada. Visitors are really supposed to limit their time in Canada and not live in Canada or appear to live in Canada. Crossing the border to reset a visa isn't fooling anyone. A TRV will only be extended for so long even if you have a multi-entry visa. I have attached a very recent situation where this became an issue. If you want your parents to keep on being allowed to say for 6 month periods they should return home on a regular basis.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/parents-denied-entry.571200/