April 14, 2010
Passport Req..
May 21, 2010/Ecas: DM June 23 2010
VISA ISSUED...
July 14, 2010
LANDED..........
july 17, 2010
omar_ahmed21 said:
This is great news. Looking forward for these changes. With all respect Mr. McCallum did nothing other than speaking. He has delivered few of his Govn't promises, but he didn't meet people expectations in terms of immigration. I think he will serve better as ambassador.
what about the following changes:

1. Removal of 4 Year cap for temporary foreign worker

2. Changes in spousal sponsorship

3. Changes in Parent sponsorship

Alexios07

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
omar_ahmed21 said:
I don't know why you are upset about this changes. Wait until the new guy start to do his job and then we all going to determine his performance. All my comments above was my opinion and I'm not trying to be a d**K or offend anyone.
Did I sound upset? AFAIK, only betty44 and some others sound very upset with the former Minister and been throwing baseless accusations.

asagalen said:
what about the following changes:

1. Removal of 4 Year cap for temporary foreign worker

2. Changes in spousal sponsorship

3. Changes in Parent sponsorship
Recent changes will be unchanged. This is only a new Minister who answer to Trudea, not a new Prime Minister.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
Alexios07 said:
Not to be blunt, but only people who cannot get an ITA say that McCallum hadn't done anything. He did pretty much everything in the presentation they released back in July.
I didnt get ITA and I say McCallum was good. The only thing i didnt like is the lottery for PGP sponsorship

betty44

Jun 7, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MCcallum had to go period.

about the new one? no one knows but like it was said here, the new minister was not born in canada.

that's a positive thing as he understand how we feel.

that he turns out to be worse than the last one, that is to be seen.

Alexios07

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mead said:
I didnt get ITA and I say McCallum was good. The only thing i didnt like is the lottery for PGP sponsorship
That I can understand, since sponsorship is not like Express Entry (economic program), it's hard to decide which application should be picked, like you cannot grade parents and grandparents like you grade Express entry applicants, so a lottery system is fair for everyone.

kryt0n

VIP Member
Sep 30, 2014
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
16-03-2017
Passport Req..
11-07-2017
betty44 said:
MCcallum had to go period.

about the new one? no one knows but like it was said here, the new minister was not born in canada.

that's a positive thing as he understand how we feel.

that he turns out to be worse than the last one, that is to be seen.
Maybe the new guy might like siblings?

andrewhl

Aug 28, 2014
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-Nov-2016
Doc's Request.
21-Dec-2016
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
16-Nov-2016
Med's Done....
20-Dec-2016(Passed)
Passport Req..
02-Feb-2017
VISA ISSUED...
09-Feb-2017
LANDED..........
13-Feb-2017
Personally, I think Native Canadians would be better for all of us in general comparing to those come from immigration background. IMO a lot people coming from minority/immigration background more or less would show some kind of bias in their actions.

A classic example is Elaine Chao, the 24th U. S. Secretary of Labor who served from 2001-2009. She is from a Chinese immigration family yet she did her best to tighten the regulation regarding of immigration labours, especially targeting those immigrations from Asia countries. You can say she is probably just one whitewash conservative. However, I do know of some Asian-Americans/Canadians who would show their worst towards other Asian from Asia countries. Last time when I come back to Canada from U.S., a female Asian Custom officer questioned me for 40 minutes because I told her I had roughly 100 dollars cash with me and she found out there were actually 106 dollars. I doubt she would spend so much time on a white Canadian for 6 bucks. Back in our country, we would just call them 'Bananas", white inside and yellow outside. Yeah, I am Asian so I can say that, so please don't shoot me with the "political correct."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking at this new guy who will be in charge of IRCC, my guess is:
1. He favours those who share his background so he will put more resources into refugees instead of EE applicants.
or
2. He understands that some refugees will bring burden or even be dangerous to the Canadian Society so he will make immigration process for them slower, however this doesn't necessarily mean he would favour EE applicants.
or
3. He can just be as good/bad as McCallum

BTW I don't like McCallum very much, some of his decision is questionable (Such as lottery for parents sponsorship)
but some, such as shorten the process time for Spousal sponsorship really means something. I guess for those who hasn't got an ITA, maybe they do welcome the new guy for a reason. However I wouldn't get my hope high.

g126

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2016
Sao Paulo
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
São Paulo
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
27-01-2016
Doc's Request.
16-12-2016
Nomination.....
09-12-2016
AOR Received.
07-01-2017
File Transfer...
18-02-2017
Med's Request
UPFRONT
Med's Done....
15-12-2016
Passport Req..
16-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
22-06-2017
LANDED..........
09-10-2017
After a long journey with OINP and having finally gotten my AOR I must admit that changes do make me a little nervous... I don't really have an opinion on McCallum as I'm new to the idea of immigrating to Canada and so I can't compare him to anyone else... I do think he was a little slow at implementing the PMs wished for more immigrants, however, I think that this is because of the unprecedented wave of refugees we've had recently.

As far as immigrants not liking immigrants, I think it's natural that if you've had a hard time immigrating you don't want to see the next immigrant having a walk in the park while you had a hell of a time... it's human nature to be petty like this, however, I do hope the new guy is more open minded and will rise above such things... we can always hope.

More security checks could be a problem as this will probably increase the average processing time... but if it results in a safer place then we're all better off.

I did read complains about the parent lottery, but when you think about it how else could this be done? Implementing a whole CRS system for parents seem far fetched... and since Canada can't afford to give out parent PR to every new PR it issues a lottery seems to be the only way to go.

Alexios07

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
andrewhl said:
Personally, I think Native Canadians would be better for all of us in general comparing to those come from immigration background. IMO a lot people coming from minority/immigration background more or less would show some kind of bias in their actions.

A classic example is Elaine Chao, the 24th U. S. Secretary of Labor who served from 2001-2009. She is from a Chinese immigration family yet she did her best to tighten the regulation regarding of immigration labours, especially targeting those immigrations from Asia countries. You can say she is probably just one whitewash conservative. However, I do know of some Asian-Americans/Canadians who would show their worst towards other Asian from Asia countries. Last time when I come back to Canada from U.S., a female Asian Custom officer questioned me for 40 minutes because I told her I had roughly 100 dollars cash with me and she found out there were actually 106 dollars. I doubt she would spend so much time on a white Canadian for 6 bucks. Back in our country, we would just call them 'Bananas", white inside and yellow outside. Yeah, I am Asian so I can say that, so please don't shoot me with the "political correct."
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking at this new guy who will be in charge of IRCC, my guess is:
1. He favours those who share his background so he will put more resources into refugees instead of EE applicants.
or
2. He understands that some refugees will bring burden or even be dangerous to the Canadian Society so he will make immigration process for them slower, however this doesn't necessarily mean he would favour EE applicants.
or
3. He can just be as good/bad as McCallum

BTW I don't like McCallum very much, some of his decision is questionable (Such as lottery for parents sponsorship)
but some, such as shorten the process time for Spousal sponsorship really means something. I guess for those who hasn't got an ITA, maybe they do welcome the new guy for a reason. However I wouldn't get my hope high.
Because being an immigrant give you the insight on how to deal with shady stuff, tricks and shortcuts from other immigrants. It's not a coincidence that we have an overwhelming amount of immigrants come from several specific countries, and most of these are developing nations. It means people are trying to get away from corruption, closed-minded people, shady businessmen and even gangsters from their home countries. An immigrant from a 3rd world country will have a more realistic look on immigrants and refugees than a native caucasian who have spent most his/her life in a rich and disciplined society.

For your points about the new guy:

1. He definitely cannot and will not be able to put more resources on the refugee issue, as McCallum did try to do that back in September and got backslash from the Liberal party and the Parliament.

2. I don't see any new changes in favor for EE, but a more tighten or even lower quota for the whole economic program. More security checks and background checks.

3. He will do much better than McCallum, or at least not as naive.

g126

Champion Member
Feb 22, 2016
Sao Paulo
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
São Paulo
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
27-01-2016
Doc's Request.
16-12-2016
Nomination.....
09-12-2016
AOR Received.
07-01-2017
File Transfer...
18-02-2017
Med's Request
UPFRONT
Med's Done....
15-12-2016
Passport Req..
16-06-2017
VISA ISSUED...
22-06-2017
LANDED..........
09-10-2017
Alexios07 said:

I, myself, come from one of the most corrupt countries in the world, so if I were the Immigrant Minister, I would also place the most tighten and thorough security checks on all the applicants from my country and the neighboring countries as well.

Hmmm it sounds like we come from the same place! :p

I too am fed up with the corruption here, closed mindedness and shady businessmen... i live in an place where it seems that if you're not willing to play along you can't get anywhere and I can't stand it!

But I disagree with you about stricter security checks for people like us... you see I firmly believe that the bad elements won't want to go to places like Canada in the first place as they know they won't be tolerated there and will eventually be kicked out.. in this case I believe the good attracts the good and the bad attract the bad.

People like us are good people trying to get away from the bad stuff...

smtele

Apr 30, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
27-12-2015
Passport Req..
05-06-2016
LANDED..........
29-06-2016
Immigration plan for 2017 has already been set by JMC. I do not think that there will be any changes to it by the new immigration minister.

Castillo

Nov 23, 2016
smtele said:
Immigration plan for 2017 has already been set by JMC. I do not think that there will be any changes to it by the new immigration minister.
You are correct. He will just have to follow through ....its per draw will continue in 2.0 to 2.5 k plus per draw. The only change in the short-term to medium-term is that MaCallum will no longer appear in the ministerial instructions!!!!!!

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Here is really difficult to predict. Part of his career he was immigration lawyer. In such position you can come acros lot of shady stories. On the top, by immigrating at his age (16 years old) he was already aware on what different strategies can be used for immigration.

My 2 cents on the story. At one point I had interview with native Spanish speaker who has also learned German as a foreign language. Part of the requirement was also German language. That person even if having just foreigner learned level of the language, was judging my language skill as not very good.
In reality, I have no problem to speak German as needed for my work including negotiations and understanding professional language. Of course as a foreigner my active German has here and there small mistakes, but they are no way problem when it comes to being understood.
So that person was not only judging for herself but also presenting it as not acceptable language level to the rest of to colleagues without giving me any chance to actually speak the language in front of them.
So for the understanding of the natives, I was shown as somebody barely able to use the language.
I never had such experience with any native speaker.
What I want to say with this, that somebody immigrating can have more harsh view on other immigrants (seeking for perfection) and can be less understanding.
That is just my opinion on potential risk, that I see there.