VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Chrystia Freeland will be appointed Canada's new minister of foreign affairs in a sweeping Liberal cabinet shakeup to be announced later today, CBC News has learned.

Freeland, who leaves the international trade portfolio, will replace Stéphane Dion, who is leaving politics to become Canada's ambassador to the European Union and Germany, sources tell CBC News.

Immigration Minister John McCallum is also leaving politics and will be named Canada's ambassador to China.

The swearing-in ceremony for the new ministers will take place at Rideau Hall at 2 p.m. and CBCNews.ca will carry it live.

Other changes to be announced today, confirmed by CBC News:
■François-Philippe Champagne will become minister of international trade.
■Patty Hajdu will move from status of women to labour.
■Maryam Monsef will transfer from democratic institutions to status of women.
■Karina Gould will be named minister of democratic institutions.
■Ahmed Hussen become minister of immigration, refugees and citizenship.

Hussen, Canada's first-ever MP of Somali descent, is a lawyer and community activist in the Toronto riding of York South-Weston. Gould, 29, a former trade and development worker who represents the riding of Burlington, Ont., was promoted from her previous role as parliamentary secretary to the minister of International Development.
Champagne, a first-term MP for the Quebec riding of Saint-Maurice–Champlain, is a former businessman and lawyer. He was considered a strong performer as parliamentary secretary to Finance Minister Bill Morneau.

McCallum, Dion assume ambassador roles

McCallum, 65, served as defence minister under Jean Chrétien and presided over the veteran affairs file in Paul Martin's cabinet.

Dion, 61, was environment minister under Martin and then succeeded him as party leader, a position he held until shortly after the party lost 18 seats in a 2008 federal election defeat. Dion represents the Quebec riding of Saint-Laurent.

Monsef, the Ontario MP for Peterborough-Kawartha, has taken criticism for her handling of the electoral reform file, and was forced to apologize last month for accusing MPs on the special committee studying the issue of shirking their duties.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/liberal-government-cabinet-shuffle-2017-1.3928723

omar_ahmed21

Nov 22, 2016
Toronto
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
This is great news. Looking forward for these changes. With all respect Mr. McCallum did nothing other than speaking. He has delivered few of his Govn't promises, but he didn't meet people expectations in terms of immigration. I think he will serve better as ambassador.

Alexios07

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IMO, this is a great move from Trudeau, as Ahmed is very different from McCallum, as the latter is a native caucasian, former banker who had been accused of admitting too many FSWs as a cheap labour source for his bankers and business friends, while the new Minister is truly an immigrant (moved to Canada at the age of 16).

omar_ahmed21 said:
This is great news. Looking forward for these changes. With all respect Mr. McCallum did nothing other than speaking. He has delivered few of his Govn't promises, but he didn't meet people expectations in terms of immigration. I think he will serve better as ambassador.
What are the "people expectations" you talking about? who are these "people"? the Canadian citizens/voters or some random EE applicants? McCallum delivered almost everything he promised, he did what he needed to do.

astralsource

Champion Member
Jul 10, 2016
Croatia
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa, ON
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
22-04-2017
AOR Received.
22-04-2017
Med's Request
19-06-2017
Med's Done....
13-04-2017
The new guy has a much better vibe alltogether, an activist and an immigrant. Can it get any better? Very positive news!

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
Alexios07 said:
IMO, this is a great move from Trudeau, as Ahmed is very different from McCallum, as the latter is a native caucasian, former banker who had been accused of admitting too many FSWs as a cheap labour source for his bankers and business friends, while the new Minister is truly an immigrant (moved to Canada at the age of 16).

What are the "people expectations" you talking about? who are these "people"? the Canadian citizens/voters or some random EE applicants? McCallum delivered almost everything he promised, he did what he needed to do.
I am a little worried. Immigrants r normally not in favor of immigrants and on top of that people r going to say "he is favoring immigrants since he is an immigrant" it seems like a no win situation for him. Also I am afraid of changes every change I have seen comes with a catch.

omar_ahmed21

Nov 22, 2016
Toronto
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Alexios07 said:

The answer in your comment above! He wasn't everybody man, so many people with different immigrations scenarios left behind without hope that someday they can call this land "HOME". I understand they can't make everyone happy, but at least Mr. McCallum should work in the same speed as his other ministers pals.

Alexios07

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mead said:
I am a little worried. Immigrants r normally not in favor of immigrants and on top of that people r going to say "he is favoring immigrants since he is an immigrant" it seems like a no win situation for him. Also I am afraid of changes every change I have seen comes with a catch.
That's exactly what I thought. The new Minister moved to Canada at a rather late age, so I think he fully knows how bad and dangerous some immigrants could be, especially from certain countries, like Somali. He is definitely not naive like some native Liberals who pursue an open border policy like Angela Merkel.

I, myself, come from one of the most corrupt countries in the world, so if I were the Immigrant Minister, I would also place the most tighten and thorough security checks on all the applicants from my country and the neighboring countries as well.

omar_ahmed21 said:
The answer in your comment above! He wasn't everybody man, so many people with different immigrations scenarios left behind without hope that someday they can call this land "HOME". I understand they can't make everyone happy, but at least Mr. McCallum should work in the same speed as his other ministers pals.
Even God cannot satisfy everyone. McCallum's job is to find the best immigrants who can contribute the most to Canada's interest, he's not running a charity who will take every single immigrants in the world into Canada (Germany, Exhibit A). In addition, what are the other ministers you are referring to? the Most Honorable Chris Alexander?

betty44

Jun 7, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
if he was replaced it was cuz he was not doing the job he was supposed to do.

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
Alexios07 said:
That's exactly what I thought. The new Minister moved to Canada at a rather late age, so I think he fully knows how bad and dangerous some immigrants could be, especially from certain countries, like Somali. He is definitely not naive like some native Liberals who pursue an open border policy like Angela Merkel.

I, myself, come from one of the most corrupt countries in the world, so if I were the Immigrant Minister, I would also place the most tighten and thorough security checks on all the applicants from my country and the neighboring countries as well.
but that worries me cause it wont only affect FSW it will also affect CEC. He may have to please the masses. I would want a minister who would know which immigrants r required so that is what this guy may know but still its a change and I am worried of change in 2105 they said EE will so good if u have a job and are educated u will get immigration they failed to mention LMIA . Now even LMIA cant help us.

betty44

Jun 7, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
trudeau spent vacations with a religious leader in the Bahamas.
maybe he had a vision or something and decided to do some changes.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/trudeau-and-family-were-new-years-guests-of-the-aga-khan-on-his-private-bahamas-island

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
betty44 said:
trudeau spent vacations with a religious leader in the Bahamas.
maybe he had a vision or something and decided to do some changes.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/canadian-politics/trudeau-and-family-were-new-years-guests-of-the-aga-khan-on-his-private-bahamas-island
do not understand ur point

mead

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-11-2012
Doc's Request.
28-11-2012
IELTS Request
n/a
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
6-12-2012
betty44 said:
if he was replaced it was cuz he was not doing the job he was supposed to do.
what job he was supposed to do? I feel he was doing a good job a little slow but still was looking positive.

Alexios07

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mead said:
but that worries me cause it wont only affect FSW it will also affect CEC. He may have to please the masses. I would want a minister who would know which immigrants r required so that is what this guy may know but still its a change and I am worried of change in 2105 they said EE will so good if u have a job and are educated u will get immigration they failed to mention LMIA . Now even LMIA cant help us.
Well, I don't think he's going to implement anything too harsh, since he's still in a Liberal government, not Conservative one. As long as he restrict the right quota for annual immigration plan, and doesn't dumb down the English requirements for newcomers, we should be fine.

betty44

Jun 7, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mead said:
what job he was supposed to do? I feel he was doing a good job a little slow but still was looking positive.
trudeau gave him a list of things he wanted done ASP. it took him 1 YEAR to do all that.

EE changes for students, parents, ect... you know their family reunification thing.

the pm gave him a letter at the very beggining of his mandate nov 2015 and it wasnt untill a few weeks maybe 2 months ago that we are hearing about something being done on EE and the family thing. still a lot of things to be done. the letter is somewhere online and here in this forum.

all he did was bring 25000 refugies in 6 months, which i found it to be a very good thing considering what those people were going through.

but a lot of things to be done for EE.

go to the liberal party website and read their proposals fro 2015 and compare them to what MCCallum did and you will see he was not working according to what the LIBERALS want, or most of the time he was late.

he worked very poorly on EE that s how i see it. peace and respect.