+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

TRP for mother when moving to Canada as PR

FF89

Jul 11, 2019
Hello guys,

Looking for some expert guidance on an issue that I'm currently facing. Here's some details:-

Situation:
I am a Canadian PR and intend to move to Canada by end of the year. Currently, my mother, wife and I live together but my wife's PR hasn't been processed yet so she'll be staying back. I'll be putting in the application once I have moved to Canada. I understand it will be hard for her to obtain a visit visa at this stage. My mother is a widow but she's not dependent upon me financially.

My query:
Is it possible for my mother to obtain a visitor visa (6 month - 1 year or more if possible) and travel along with me? She has properties, sufficient bank balances in her name to support her stay and a daughter (married) to show ties to home country. Only thing I won't be able to do is write her an invitation letter since I don't have any Canadian address and contact number at the moment. I am not seeking H&C case / justification as I don't think there is any need for that. What can/should she include in her application to make it successful?

Thanks in advance.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello guys,

Looking for some expert guidance on an issue that I'm currently facing. Here's some details:-

Situation:
I am a Canadian PR and intend to move to Canada by end of the year. Currently, my mother, wife and I live together but my wife's PR hasn't been processed yet so she'll be staying back. I'll be putting in the application once I have moved to Canada. I understand it will be hard for her to obtain a visit visa at this stage. My mother is a widow but she's not dependent upon me financially.

My query:
Is it possible for my mother to obtain a visitor visa (6 month - 1 year or more if possible) and travel along with me? She has properties, sufficient bank balances in her name to support her stay and a daughter (married) to show ties to home country. Only thing I won't be able to do is write her an invitation letter since I don't have any Canadian address and contact number at the moment. I am not seeking H&C case / justification as I don't think there is any need for that. What can/should she include in her application to make it successful?

Thanks in advance.
Your mother needs to apply for a TRV (not a TRP). TRPs are for people who are inadmissible to Canada, typically due to criminal issues.

To be approved for a TRV, she will need to show that she has strong ties to her home country (e.g. property, assets) and has no plans on remaining in Canada long term. Definitely not recommended that she ask for a visit of 6 months to a year. That will show she is trying to live here and result in refusal.

It would be better if you traveled to Canada first and live in Canada for 6-8 months before she applies for the TRV. There is a higher chance of refusal if she applies now with the intent to travel with you to Canada. Much higher chances IRCC will have concerns she is trying to come to Canada to live here. Having said that, you can certainly try. Again, the most important thing is that she show strong ties to her home country.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You also should be making arrangements for your mother to live on her own in your home country or with your wife until she gets PR. PR for parents is not guaranteed even if she is a widow.

FF89

Jul 11, 2019
@scylla: TRV. Sorry, mixed it up.

@canuck78: I do not intend to apply for her PR/Supervisa. Just a short term visit visa where she can spend 2-3 months until my sister arrives back home from her studies in Norway. My wife will be joining a medical training program hence they can't live together, otherwise that would have resolved the issue.

I forgot to mention that she has a brother who is a Canadian citizen and settled in Canada. Can she use a letter of invitation from him to make the case stronger. Rest assured, we will make it explicitly clear in the application that she intends to return to home country before the expiry of her TRV. She has a clean extended travel history of the UK, Middle East etc and has never been refused visa or entry.

Reactions: Tirana2020

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
@scylla: TRV. Sorry, mixed it up.

@canuck78: I do not intend to apply for her PR/Supervisa. Just a short term visit visa where she can spend 2-3 months until my sister arrives back home from her studies in Norway. My wife will be joining a medical training program hence they can't live together, otherwise that would have resolved the issue.

I forgot to mention that she has a brother who is a Canadian citizen and settled in Canada. Can she use a letter of invitation from him to make the case stronger. Rest assured, we will make it explicitly clear in the application that she intends to return to home country before the expiry of her TRV. She has a clean extended travel history of the UK, Middle East etc and has never been refused visa or entry.
You can certainly try but because of your PR there may be concerns about her trying to move with you to Canada. You should have a plan B. Would also warn your wife that getting a license to practice medicine in Canada as an IMG can be extremely difficult. Canada is one of the hardest countries to get licensed as an IMG due to a requirement to repeat residency. There are a few spots for supervised training for GPs in underserviced areas in 2 provinces. Most residency spots are taken by Canadian students.

FF89

Jul 11, 2019
You can certainly try but because of your PR there may be concerns about her trying to move with you to Canada. You should have a plan B. Would also warn your wife that getting a license to practice medicine in Canada as an IMG can be extremely difficult. Canada is one of the hardest countries to get licensed as an IMG due to a requirement to repeat residency. There are a few spots for supervised training for GPs in underserviced areas in 2 provinces. Most residency spots are taken by Canadian students.
Thanks. Can you elaborate a bit more on the 2 provinces, please? She's opting for alternate routes, hence the traniing here that is acceptable in Canada. Rest will purely base on luck and favourable times.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks. Can you elaborate a bit more on the 2 provinces, please? She's opting for alternate routes, hence the traniing here that is acceptable in Canada. Rest will purely base on luck and favourable times.
Is she studying to be a GP? Will she have completed a residency? Practice abroad?

FF89

Jul 11, 2019
Is she studying to be a GP? Will she have completed a residency? Practice abroad?
She has completed her studies and a year of internship. Since we'll be moving to Canada for good, a 4-year residency training here holds no value in Canadian health system, as far as we know. So instead, she'll be joining a 2-year program in Family Med that is accepted in Canada to be a GP / FP. Ofcourse, MCCQE P1 / TDM will be attempted later on.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
She has completed her studies and a year of internship. Since we'll be moving to Canada for good, a 4-year residency training here holds no value in Canadian health system, as far as we know. So instead, she'll be joining a 2-year program in Family Med that is accepted in Canada to be a GP / FP. Ofcourse, / TDM will be attempted later on.
Somewhat confused if you mean she will be doing a GP training course in the US, UK, South Africa, Ireland, Australia or NZ. If not, she we not qualify for the programs for GPs in underserviced areas in SK and BC. Unless you are both willing to commit to living for many years in more rural community it would have likely not been an option. Those are transitional programs for licensed GPs with practice experience. She will have to compete for a residency spot and see if she gets lucky and is selected. Pretty sure MCCQE P1 now needs to be done before CaRMS for IMGs.

Last edited:

FF89

Jul 11, 2019
Hello guys,

Situation:

My query:

Thanks in advance.
Hi guys, coming back to my OP. Can you clarify how to show rental income from the property in the application as it is neither employment nor business?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi guys, coming back to my OP. Can you clarify how to show rental income from the property in the application as it is neither employment nor business?
Easiest way is tax returns where the rental income is claimed. She could also show evidence of leases (i.e. the signed agreements) and bank deposits.

FF89

Jul 11, 2019
Easiest way is tax returns where the rental income is claimed. She could also show evidence of leases (i.e. the signed agreements) and bank deposits.
I have had some discussion with an immigration consultant, they mention that in her current *circumstances* her bank deposits or property will not matter much considering she's travelling with a PR (son) but family ties in home country i.e. daughter or sister she lives with.

How do visa officers look at the applicants' circumstances for TRV? Can you or anybody share any insight on this please? Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I have had some discussion with an immigration consultant, they mention that in her current *circumstances* her bank deposits or property will not matter much considering she's travelling with a PR (son) but family ties in home country i.e. daughter or sister she lives with.

How do visa officers look at the applicants' circumstances for TRV? Can you or anybody share any insight on this please? Thanks.
Of course they matter. I would change consultants.