+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling with COPR

blader

Jul 24, 2017
Hi All,

My wife has received COPR in her Passport and came to me in Canada just last week from Russia. She is staying permanently in Canada, however she needs to go to a big surgical conference in Europe Sep 20-24 (she is a surgeon).The conference is very important for her professional development. She has an official invitation from one of the medical companies which are covering her expenses, however, I'm wondering if she will havea difficulty re-entering back to Canada due to the fact that she won't have her PR card. She only needs to do this one trip before receiving her PR card.

My imm consultant is saying that she can do that provided there is an invitation from the medical company to the conference and that she has applied for OHIP and SIN before leaving as well as having a document with a Canadian address. Consultant says she doesn't need to get PRTD and she obviously won't have time to do that in Europe in 4 days with having the conference running almost full-time during the regular business hours.

What are your thoughts on this? Any risks?

Thank you,
Alex

carolbb23

VIP Member
Jun 24, 2016
toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
mississauga
App. Filed.......
15\12\2015
Doc's Request.
already did for applications
Nomination.....
n/a
AOR Received.
15/01/2016
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
10/03/2017
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
02/11/2015
Interview........
thank god no interview
Passport Req..
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
28/04/2017
LANDED..........
28/04/2017
Hi All,

My wife has received COPR in her Passport and came to me in Canada just last week from Russia. She is staying permanently in Canada, however she needs to go to a big surgical conference in Europe Sep 20-24 (she is a surgeon).The conference is very important for her professional development. She has an official invitation from one of the medical companies which are covering her expenses, however, I'm wondering if she will havea difficulty re-entering back to Canada due to the fact that she won't have her PR card. She only needs to do this one trip before receiving her PR card.

My imm consultant is saying that she can do that provided there is an invitation from the medical company to the conference and that she has applied for OHIP and SIN before leaving as well as having a document with a Canadian address. Consultant says she doesn't need to get PRTD and she obviously won't have time to do that in Europe in 4 days with having the conference running almost full-time during the regular business hours.

What are your thoughts on this? Any risks?

Thank you,
Alex

Apply for a prtd will let her back into canada

blader

Jul 24, 2017
Apply for a prtd will let her back into canada
Thank you.

That's what I think too, but my immigration consultant is saying she should be able to do it without PR card or PRTD....as long as she has a formal letter from the conference... and has applied for OHIP.

I am thinking he is wrong... but maybe not? She obviously won't have PRTD done in 4 days - might take weeks....

carolbb23

VIP Member
Jun 24, 2016
toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
mississauga
App. Filed.......
15\12\2015
Doc's Request.
already did for applications
Nomination.....
n/a
AOR Received.
15/01/2016
IELTS Request
n/a
File Transfer...
10/03/2017
Med's Request
n/a
Med's Done....
02/11/2015
Interview........
thank god no interview
Passport Req..
n/a
VISA ISSUED...
28/04/2017
LANDED..........
28/04/2017
Thank you.

That's what I think too, but my immigration consultant is saying she should be able to do it without PR card or PRTD....as long as she has a formal letter from the conference... and has applied for OHIP.

I am thinking he is wrong... but maybe not? She obviously won't have PRTD done in 4 days - might take weeks....

I rather be safe than sorry I suggest apply saves your wife the hassle with cbsa or call cic

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
She will not as a PR be able to board a plane back to Canada without either a PR card or a PRTD that is the rule.

Having OHIP or a SIN or a conference letter are totally irrelevant to travel so consultant has no idea what they are talking about given it will be the airline looking for a PR card or PRTD at check in. Initial PR cards take on average 6-8 weeks to arrive.

If she has a US visa she could fly to the US and enter Canada via a land border with her COPR.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you.

Your immigration consultant should be fired. The airline won't let her board the airplane without either a valid PR card or PRTD. Your problem isn't entering Canada - she won't get that far. Your problem is getting on the plane to Canada.

If she can't get a valid PR card or PRTD in time, her only other option is to fly to the US and re-enter Canada through a land border entry using a private vehicle.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Your immigration consultant should be fired. The airline won't let her board the airplane without either a valid PR card or PRTD. Your problem isn't entering Canada - she won't get that far. Your problem is getting on the plane to Canada.

If she can't get a valid PR card or PRTD in time, her only other option is to fly to the US and re-enter Canada through a land border entry using a private vehicle.
Agree with scylla.

OP, does your wife has US visa?

Last edited:

blader

Jul 24, 2017
Thank you all!

One key thing I forgot to mention is that she has a 5-year travel visa which is good for another 3 years as she used to visit me on that visa before she became PR. She still has that in her passport and it is functional.

Will that work? Maybe that's the detail I've missed from my consultant?
I thought once you become PR your travel visa becomes void...?

Please advise.

Much appreciate all your replies and thank you again!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Thank you all!

One key thing I forgot to mention is that she has a 5-year travel visa which is good for another 3 years as she used to visit me on that visa before she became PR. She still has that in her passport and it is functional.

Will that work? Maybe that's the detail I've missed from my consultant?
I thought once you become PR your travel visa becomes void...?

Please advise.

Much appreciate all your replies and thank you again!
Doesn't change anything.

Her TRV was canceled in the system when she became a PR. It's not longer valid and she should still expect to be denied boarding by the airline.