+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling to India and back with Indian passport having 1 month validity

RV_13

Star Member
Jun 24, 2012
Hi Friends,

I am a Permanent Resident of Canada with an active PR card and I also hold an Indian passport. Now my Indian Passport is expiring in mid- Feb 2017 and i need to travel to India in mid-Jan 2017 and returning by Feb end before the passport expires. It leaves me no time to re-issue my passport before travel.
My questions are:
Would i be able to enter India as the passport would still be vaild when i am travelling?
While returning, would there be a problem entering Canada? I thought having a valid PR card would be good enough.

I would take the direct flight both ways so that i dont transit thru any other countries.

Please advise.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

RV_13 said:
Hi Friends,

I am a Permanent Resident of Canada with an active PR card and I also hold an Indian passport. Now my Indian Passport is expiring in mid- Feb 2017 and i need to travel to India in mid-Jan 2017 and returning by Feb end before the passport expires. It leaves me no time to re-issue my passport before travel.
My questions are:
Would i be able to enter India as the passport would still be vaild when i am travelling?
While returning, would there be a problem entering Canada? I thought having a valid PR card would be good enough.

I would take the direct flight both ways so that i dont transit thru any other countries.

Please advise.
1. You will require a valid passport to re-enter Canada, without it the airline won't let you board.

RV_13

Star Member
Jun 24, 2012
PMM said:
Hi

1. You will require a valid passport to re-enter Canada, without it the airline won't let you board.
Thanks for replying.

My passport would still be valid when I am returning back, but it would only have a month validity at that time. Does it require to have at least 6 months validity on the original country's passport (India in my case) even if you are a PR in Canada?

heeradeepak

Jun 1, 2014
RV_13 said:
Thanks for replying.

My passport would still be valid when I am returning back, but it would only have a month validity at that time. Does it require to have at least 6 months validity on the original country's passport (India in my case) even if you are a PR in Canada?
For PR passport should be valid even for a day it doesn't matter.

So many countries have 6 months valid passport rule for applying visiting visa only.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
heeradeepak said:
For PR passport should be valid even for a day it doesn't matter.

So many countries have 6 months valid passport rule for applying visiting visa only.
maybe still check with the airline though given airlines can be inconsistent about passport validity and they will not care whether someone is a PR or not as far as travel is concerned other than PR card being valid. The airline may not be comfortable with limited validity so is them you might have to convince at checkin.

mats

Nov 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-01-2011
AOR Received.
18-03-2011
Med's Done....
18-03-2012
Passport Req..
Sent 19-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
30-Mar-2012
LANDED..........
12-July-2012
RV_13 said:
Hi Friends,

Please advise.
As long as it is valid you can travel to India. But return would be a problem not for the airlines but for the Indian Immigration(India has Immigration check on exit too). I remember my kids went to India for summer vacation when I used to live in Dubai. On the way back after the vacations they were retuning with a friend and their passport had one week validity and the Immigration officer objected to travel. It was a big issue and then with great difficulty they were allowed. So it is safer to renew before travel or while you are in India. If the passport was issued in India(not any embassy of India) then new one can be re-issued within a week.

Gregor.Samsa

Feb 7, 2015
Alberta
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
2016-03 (EE), TFW since 2012-04
mats said:
... So it is safer to renew before travel or while you are in India. If the passport was issued in India(not any embassy of India) then new one can be re-issued within a week.
Always is safer and usefull renewing your passport at your country of origin, if possible, before come back

TorontoFerrari

Star Member
Jul 19, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-07-2013
AOR Received.
11-09-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
28-02-2014
Med's Done....
03-03-2014
Passport Req..
18-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
27-03-2014
LANDED..........
29-03-2014
Hi Friends,

My questions are:

Please advise.
Did you face any problem while going to India or coming back to Canada with India passport validity less than 6 months? i have the similar situation & need to travel soon. thanks.

Rahul1221

Mar 21, 2018
Hi guys.i am travelling on 9 th april to india n coming back to canada on 9 th may.Passport is expiring on 31 july .So there will be no problem right?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi guys.i am travelling on 9 th april to india n coming back to canada on 9 th may.Passport is expiring on 31 july .So there will be no problem right?
Depends if you hold a valid Indian passport and a valid PR card / PRTD.

surya450

Star Member
Jul 7, 2010
Visa Office......
Delhi
App. Filed.......
March 16 2016@PNP CIC
Nomination.....
January 2016@ AINP
AOR Received.
14-Apr-2016
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
17-May-2016
Med's Request
4-oct-2017
Med's Done....
12-Oct-2017
Passport Req..
28-12-2017
LANDED..........
28-01-2018
Hey
Did you have any issues when you entered India. My passport is expiring in 5 months and I’m travelling on apr 22.
Please advice!

bricksonly

Mar 18, 2018
Hey
Did you have any issues when you entered India. My passport is expiring in 5 months and I’m travelling on apr 22.
Please advice!
I don't think you will have trouble entering India (common sense though). I do worry if you would have a long transfer (has to pass customs at the third-party transfer airport). Take a direct flight will be OK.

mats

Nov 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-01-2011
AOR Received.
18-03-2011
Med's Done....
18-03-2012
Passport Req..
Sent 19-03-2012
VISA ISSUED...
30-Mar-2012
LANDED..........
12-July-2012
Hey
Please advice!
I had a friend, who traveled to India and did not have any problem and no problem if you are india passport holder.If you are an Indian passport holder, you will have problem exiting India after you have travel to India with less than 6 months valid passport.

surya450

Star Member
Jul 7, 2010
Visa Office......
Delhi
App. Filed.......
March 16 2016@PNP CIC
Nomination.....
January 2016@ AINP
AOR Received.
14-Apr-2016
IELTS Request
N/A
File Transfer...
17-May-2016
Med's Request
4-oct-2017
Med's Done....
12-Oct-2017
Passport Req..
28-12-2017
LANDED..........
28-01-2018
I don't think you will have trouble entering India (common sense though). I do worry if you would have a long transfer (has to pass customs at the third-party transfer airport). Take a direct flight will be OK.
Thanks for the reply! Nothing make sense with immigration :p. My return flight is from India to London and London to Canada with layover of 3 hours do you think I will still have issues ?? Please advice!