+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling to home country after applying for BOWP on valid visa

lazycrazyboon

Star Member
Apr 27, 2016
Hi All,

I am a CEC inland applicant with AOR as April 5th. My current open work permit (PGWP) expires on October 3rd 2019.
I am planning to travel to India in August for 2 weeks. When I return my work permit and my work visa will still have a valid validity(of about 45 days) till October 3rd 2019.
I was thinking of applying for BOWP as my current permit expires in less than four months. However one of the conditions for issuing BOWP is that the applicant must be 'in Canada'.
Can I apply for BOWP and then go on my two weeks vacation to India and return with my current PGWP and work-visa(it's a multiple entry visa)?
1. Would my BOWP application be refused because I left Canada for a vacation?
2. If I apply for BOWP and leave and return before BOWP processing time, will my current PGWP be sufficient to let me back in Canada?
3. Should I apply for BOWP after I return from my vacation (just to be on the safe side)?
4. if I don't apply for BOWP and leave with current PGWP and work-visa, would I face any issue coming back into Canada due to traveling so close to the expiry of my permit?

Any advice is welcome ...I am kind of in a bind and can not cancel my trip to India..just worried what is the right thing to do...Thanks guys.