+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling to Canada on tourist Visa after Losing PR card

Samfswquery

Star Member
Dec 1, 2014
Hi All ,
Seeking your expert advise.
I got my PR card back in June 2016.I came out of Canada afterwards.I lost my PR card recently ,Is it possible if I apply for a tourist Visa and go collect a PR card after entering in Canada ,Do not want to get involve in PRTD process.

Regards,
Samrat

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Simple answer NO you cannot apply as a PR for a visitor visa you will need either a PRTD or enter via the US land border

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Agreed with the above. You cannot apply for a tourist visa as a PR - the application will be refused. The only way you can apply for a tourist visa is if you officially renounce your PR status first. If you don't want to renounce your PR status, then as said above your options are the PRTD or to fly to the US and enter Canada via land.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
What is the condition to travel through US land border.
Thanks
First of all, you will need to obtain a US tourist visa so that you can enter the US. You will then need to fly to the US and enter Canada through a land border using a private vehicle. Private vehicle means that you can rent a car or a friend can come and pick you up - in some places you can even cross on foot. However you cannot use a commercial means of transit such as a bus or taxi. You need to have your COPR with you when entering Canada.

Samfswquery

Star Member
Dec 1, 2014
First of all, you will need to obtain a US tourist visa so that you can enter the US. You will then need to fly to the US and enter Canada through a land border using a private vehicle. Private vehicle means that you can rent a car or a friend can come and pick you up - in some places you can even cross on foot. However you cannot use a commercial means of transit such as a bus or taxi. You need to have your COPR with you when entering Canada.
But I already did my landing and collected Sin as well ,and my COPR is already been filled by an Immigration officer last time.How can I use

jatt-going-canada

Jan 27, 2012
B.C
Category........
Visa Office......
new delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
august 2007
Doc's Request.
jan 2011
Med's Request
jan 2012
Med's Done....
jan 2012
Interview........
nope
Passport Req..
jan 2012 along with medicals
VISA ISSUED...
october 30 2012
LANDED..........
nov 16 2012 :D
But I already did my landing and collected Sin as well ,and my COPR is already been filled by an Immigration officer last time.How can I use
Two options:
Apply for PRTD at the closest visa office
or get a visitor visa for US and then come to Canada through land border with COPR in your hand

If you're not in a hurry, then just apply for PRTD.

Samfswquery

Star Member
Dec 1, 2014
Two options:
Apply for PRTD at the closest visa office
or get a visitor visa for US and then come to Canada through land border with COPR in your hand

If you're not in a hurry, then just apply for PRTD.
I would like to come through Land from US but like I already asked above ,My COPR is already filled by an Immigration officer when I landed back in 2016 ,Wont they be asking me ?

Samfswquery

Star Member
Dec 1, 2014
The question such as where is my PR card ? Why am I entering through US by border ? Where and Why was I missing for 2 years ,
Apart from that I have 2 passports now ,one old one for which I got PR and the freshly renewed one.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
First I assume that you have reported already that your PR card has been lost given that could be a question CBSA asks anyone who does not have a PR card at the border.

Given you landed in 2016 you are still well within the residency obligation so not an issue to CBSA.

Your COPR at the land border even if already a landed PR just shows CBSA you are a landed immigrant.

If you still have your old passport then good idea to carry that as well as your new one plus your COPR.

Honestly though if you have time just fill out a PRTD application which given you are still able to meet the RO should be approved without any issue. Just report your card as lost though given anyone could have found it and use in any fraud in your name.

As to answering why entering through US border simple answer is you lost your card ( which you have by then hopefully reported) and could not wait to get a PRTD.

Always with CBSA answer questions honestly but do not volunteer extra information.

Samfswquery

Star Member
Dec 1, 2014
First I assume that you have reported already that your PR card has been lost given that could be a question CBSA asks anyone who does not have a PR card at the border.

Given you landed in 2016 you are still well within the residency obligation so not an issue to CBSA.

Your COPR at the land border even if already a landed PR just shows CBSA you are a landed immigrant.

If you still have your old passport then good idea to carry that as well as your new one plus your COPR.

Honestly though if you have time just fill out a PRTD application which given you are still able to meet the RO should be approved without any issue. Just report your card as lost though given anyone could have found it and use in any fraud in your name.

As to answering why entering through US border simple answer is you lost your card ( which you have by then hopefully reported) and could not wait to get a PRTD.

Always with CBSA answer questions honestly but do not volunteer extra information.
Thanks ,I have recently written an email to Delhi Immigration regarding lost PR ,Do I have to do anything else to report it ?
No reply from them as of now (Just 3 days so far).