+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling to a third country using passport

lovecanada227

Sep 7, 2018
Hello,

About 2 months ago I got my pr card after applying on November 2016, I got my passport back and it does not expire until 2021, the officer said its fine to travel using the passport, as long as you do not travel to your home country, which obviously I have no intention of. I already have a travel document but I am thinking of traveling to Saudi Arabia which does not accept the refugee travel document. I realized reading this forum that there is some confusion surrounding traveling with your passport after it has been given to you even within the ministry of immigration. So is it okay to travel to Saudi Arabia with my passport because they don't accept the travel document, anyone with experience or knows the law regarding this please help.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No you should not have used your passport. You must stop using it and use RTD. You'll have to limit your travel to the countries that accept the RTD. If you get in trouble for using your passport you can relay what the officer told you and then she that you have realized your error and now only use RTD.

YYZone

Dec 8, 2017
A friend of mine did his interview last week. The officer wanted to know why he renewed his home country passport and travelled on it. It can become problematic because when you get protected status you become the responsiblity of Canada and technically your home country isn’t supposed to know Canada is protecting you. A travel document is supposed to be used until you get a Canadian passport. He got deciom made the day after but it
Seems subjective. That is to say one officer can create a problem and another will use discretion

lovecanada227

Sep 7, 2018
No you should not have used your passport. You must stop using it and use RTD. You'll have to limit your travel to the countries that accept the RTD. If you get in trouble for using your passport you can relay what the officer told you and then she that you have realized your error and now only use RTD.
I did not travel with it, I am just asking if I should. I called CIC and they said it is okay to travel as long as u dont go back to your home country

lovecanada227

Sep 7, 2018
A friend of mine did his interview last week. The officer wanted to know why he renewed his home country passport and travelled on it. It can become problematic because when you get protected status you become the responsiblity of Canada and technically your home country isn’t supposed to know Canada is protecting you. A travel document is supposed to be used until you get a Canadian passport. He got deciom made the day after but it
Seems subjective. That is to say one officer can create a problem and another will use discretion
Yes I did not renew my passport or request to get it, the officer just gave it to me during the interview and she said its fine to travel with it as long as you dont travel back to your home country and thats what everyone said when they got their pr, so i haven't done anything wrong, I am just asking if we are allowed to travel with it, has anyone here done it and how was ur experience?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Yes I did not renew my passport or request to get it, the officer just gave it to me during the interview and she said its fine to travel with it as long as you dont travel back to your home country and thats what everyone said when they got their pr, so i haven't done anything wrong, I am just asking if we are allowed to travel with it, has anyone here done it and how was ur experience?
If you travel on your home country passport, you are reavailing yourself of the protection of your country.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/refugee-protection/vacation.html

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Also, if you are refused entry or deported, for any reason, you can be sent back to the country issuing your travel document (passport). Therefore, you are assumed to be OK with being returned there. This is incompatible with your stated fear of returning...

Reactions: Copingwithlife

sss12345

Star Member
Dec 13, 2017
Hello,

About 2 months ago I got my pr card after applying on November 2016, I got my passport back and it does not expire until 2021, the officer said its fine to travel using the passport, as long as you do not travel to your home country, which obviously I have no intention of. I already have a travel document but I am thinking of traveling to Saudi Arabia which does not accept the refugee travel document. I realized reading this forum that there is some confusion surrounding traveling with your passport after it has been given to you even within the ministry of immigration. So is it okay to travel to Saudi Arabia with my passport because they don't accept the travel document, anyone with experience or knows the law regarding this please help.
A lot of people have this misconception. No you are not supposed to use your home country's passport, in fact your are supposed to mail to Passports Canada and they'll send it back once you become a citizen or it expires, as legally you are not allowed to have a valid passport along your travel document. Most centre officers are misinformed about the refugees situation as they mostly deal with granting permanent residence and they might not be necessarily informed about these specific situations as CBSA and citizenship officers are the ones that deal with it most. FYI Saudi Arabia does accept a travel document.

lovecanada227

Sep 7, 2018
A lot of people have this misconception. No you are not supposed to use your home country's passport, in fact your are supposed to mail to Passports Canada and they'll send it back once you become a citizen or it expires, as legally you are not allowed to have a valid passport along your travel document. Most centre officers are misinformed about the refugees situation as they mostly deal with granting permanent residence and they might not be necessarily informed about these specific situations as CBSA and citizenship officers are the ones that deal with it most. FYI Saudi Arabia does accept a travel document.
But if we are not allowed to have the passport then why did they give it back to us and i found out saudi arabia does accept it but I have some relatives in the UAE and Kuwait too

lovecanada227

Sep 7, 2018
Also, if you are refused entry or deported, for any reason, you can be sent back to the country issuing your travel document (passport). Therefore, you are assumed to be OK with being returned there. This is incompatible with your stated fear of returning...
But I do not want to return. I never said ' i am okay with it' im going to avoid that at all costs even if i get my citizenship

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
But I do not want to return. I never said ' i am okay with it' im going to avoid that at all costs even if i get my citizenship
In that case, don't even take your original passport with you anywhere. As long as you carry it, you are at risk of being sent to your home country. If you do, it says that you are OK with going to that country.

Here2help

Star Member
Apr 30, 2017
Hello,

Congrats for becoming the PR.

You are not suppose to use your Passport when you got your PR through Protected Person Category. So my advice will be not using your home country Passport.
I am 100% sure that Saudi Arabia accepts TRAVEL DOCUMENT with the PR card for UMRAH.
They do not accept TRAVEL DOCUMENT without PR card.

They are the only Country in the Gulf who accept RTD ( with PR card) for religious purposes..

So contact the Saudi Arabia Embassy, im sure u will have a satisfactory answer and can plan your trip accordingly.

Medoxtar

Star Member
Aug 20, 2018
Congrats for becoming the PR.

You are not suppose to use your Passport when you got your PR through Protected Person Category. So my advice will be not using your home country Passport.
I am 100% sure that Saudi Arabia accepts TRAVEL DOCUMENT with the PR card for UMRAH.
They do not accept TRAVEL DOCUMENT without PR card.

They are the only Country in the Gulf who accept RTD ( with PR card) for religious purposes..

So contact the Saudi Arabia Embassy, im sure u will have a satisfactory answer and can plan your trip accordingly.
You’re very right about this. He needs to contact the embassy and make inquiry about using his rtd wirh PR for religious purpose and also see if it also be used for any other purpose rather than religious