+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling outside of Canada immediately after the citizenship ceremony

hkalltheway

Star Member
Oct 6, 2011
How long will you be in China for? Why don't you fly to China and apply for a Canadian passport at the Canadian embassy over there, if you have enough time?

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
fromleshan said:
Is this information available on CIC or CBSA website?
http://can-am.gc.ca/consular_services_consulaires/border-frontiere.aspx?lang=eng

"Though the preferred travel document for all travellers is a passport, please note that Canadian citizens may enter Canada by personal motor vehicle with proof of Canadian citizenship (Canadian birth certificate or Canadian citizenship certificate) plus a valid government-issued photo ID (ex. state or provincial driver's license)."

Canadiandesi2006

Champion Member
Mar 6, 2014
Visa Office......
Scarborough, Toronto
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 2015 (Re-applied)
hkalltheway said:
How long will you be in China for? Why don't you fly to China and apply for a Canadian passport at the Canadian embassy over there, if you have enough time?
Well, I dont know how long does it take for Canadian Consulates to issue the Canadian passport, especially when its the first time considering they need verification be carried out.

If you already administered Canadian Citizenship Oath, you can apply for Canadian Passport within 2 days. There are some candidates who claimed they applied the same day and got their urgent passports within days.

Depends upon your situation and urgency, you are the best judge to take appropriate route.

However, certain countries have restrictions that once someone acquire citizenship of foreign countries they have few months within which they can still use previous country's passport, after that period they charges some penalty. Again, each country's rule is different.

fromleshan

Mar 4, 2016
Hi all,

A quick update on my travel plan. I decided to play it safe and revised my travel dates instead.

Thanks for all the reply :)