+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling out of the country when a citizenship application is almost done

jetrel

Star Member
Oct 1, 2018
Hi all,

So my citizenship application is in the works. I've done the test, just waiting on the oath ceremony, but of course that could still take many months.

I wish to travel back to the UK to visit this September as it's been nearly 6 years since I was there. My question is this: will I have any issues with returning to the country if my citizenship application is still in progress?
What about, when the time comes and I've done my Oath and been granted citizenship, but I don't have my Canadian passport yet. Will I be OK travelling on just my UK passport, or will I have issues then? I know dual citizens are supposed to have both passports.

I wish to book my flights sooner rather than later, but I don't want to have to cancel my flights if my Oath ceremony turns out to be the week before or something.

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Hi all,

So my citizenship application is in the works. I've done the test, just waiting on the oath ceremony, but of course that could still take many months.

I wish to travel back to the UK to visit this September as it's been nearly 6 years since I was there. My question is this: will I have any issues with returning to the country if my citizenship application is still in progress?
What about, when the time comes and I've done my Oath and been granted citizenship, but I don't have my Canadian passport yet. Will I be OK travelling on just my UK passport, or will I have issues then? I know dual citizens are supposed to have both passports.

I wish to book my flights sooner rather than later, but I don't want to have to cancel my flights if my Oath ceremony turns out to be the week before or something.
You should move on with your life and not let your citizenship application get in the way of your plans.

I took my test in December and have my citizenship ceremony 2 days from today. Between the day I took the test (Dec 19) I made 2 trips totaling about 6 weeks. Jan 14 to Feb 11 and Feb 23 to March 8, you are of course free to do so.

The only concern you would have is:
-Citizenship oath is scheduled for when you will be away (even if online you're supposed to be in Canada. Part of the ceremony is destroying your PR card). In this case you are asked to contact IRCC to have your oath ceremony rescheduled.

However, your planning on travelling in September, which is roughly 6 months from now. I am pretty certain you will have already become a citizen by then. If you have but have not yet been able to get your Canadian passport, you should not worry and travel with your British passport only. (Since UK citizens do not require a visa to come to Canada you will have no issues boarding your flight on the way back. This might be more complicated for dual citizens who would require a visa based on their second nationality).

PS: once you become a citizen you can always request an appointment to have your Canadian passport issued within 24 hours (will cost your an additional 150$ or so, but you have options)

Don't stress and plan your trip, safe travels

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
Since UK citizens do not require a visa to come to Canada you will have no issues boarding your flight on the way back. This might be more complicated for dual citizens who would require a visa based on their second nationality
This is wrong. People from visa free countries (except US) need an eTA before they can board a plane to Canada, and the eTA can't be delivered to Canadian citizen.
OP can either fly to the closest US airport and cross the border by car, or apply for an urgent Canadian passport from UK in the case the passport couldn't be obtained before the trip.

Reactions: snoopyta and YVR123

jetrel

Star Member
Oct 1, 2018
This is wrong. People from visa free countries (except US) need an eTA before they can board a plane to Canada, and the eTA can't be delivered to Canadian citizen.
OP can either fly to the closest US airport and cross the border by car, or apply for an urgent Canadian passport from UK in the case the passport couldn't be obtained before the trip.
I thought that was the case, thanks.

Hopefully it'll all be a moot point and I'll have citizenship/passport before September

Reactions: snoopyta

Wolfpmd3

Champion Member
Apr 26, 2015
Canada
NOC Code......
Yeah, I am aware.

I should have probably explained further. In the case you must really travel and have not yet received your citizenship certificate this is an alternative (no ideal) but doable. I have heard about some people who have done this, that is why I suggested it.

But yes of course, you should ideally get your passport since there is the option to get it within one day.