+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travelling as a PR

razor787

Star Member
Jan 8, 2017
I am 99% sure I know the answer to this, but just want to double check.

My wife moved to Canada as a PR 1 year ago. I am a Canadian Citizen, and we are looking to travel in September to Thailand.

The rules state that the PR must live in Canada for 2 years during a 5 year period. I assume that this does NOT mean that she must live in Canada for 2 years before leaving, correct?

Besram

Jun 13, 2019

My wife moved to Canada as a PR 1 year ago. I am a Canadian Citizen, and we are looking to travel in September to Thailand.

The rules state that the PR must live in Canada for 2 years during a 5 year period. I assume that this does NOT mean that she must live in Canada for 2 years before leaving, correct?
Correct. For new PRs, they simply need to be able to complete two years in Canada in the first five years after becoming a PR (landing date). Practically this means someone could land and leave immediately, then return just before the three year mark and still be considered compliant because they can still live in Canada for 2 years in the initial 5 year window.

Your wife will be totally fine.

Reactions: YVR123

tomlee1986

Star Member
Mar 14, 2017

She only has to meet the requirement where she is present 2 of the 5 years at the time of renewing the PR card - after the first 5 years, it’s rolling 5 years - so she must be present for 2 out of 5 years at any given time when that renewal happens

Reactions: YVR123