+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling with Canadian Passport

dreamerchant

Mar 23, 2015
Hi experts. I'm a new Canadian citizen and will be traveling with Canadian Passport for the very first time. I'll be going to UK. I also have another Passport from an asian country. My question is, do I need to carry both passports or just to carry Canadian Passport is good enough?

May sound silly, but just to be sure.

Thanks

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The only reason to carry a second passport to go anywhere in the world would be if the other passport gives you privileges that a Canadian passport does not. For example, if you have a Vietnamese passport, you can visit Cambodia for 30 days without a visa. For the UK, you don't need to carry any passport other than the Canadian.

cempjwi

Mar 14, 2012
CANADA
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
31-Jul-12
Doc's Request.
09-Feb-13; Sent 13-Mar-13
AOR Received.
15-Oct-12; In-process 26-Mar-13
File Transfer...
15-Oct-12
Med's Request
02-Apr-13 Chest Xray Only
Med's Done....
14-May-12; 04-Apr-13 (Delivered 15-Apr-13)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
19-Apr-2013
VISA ISSUED...
19-Apr-2013 (Rcvd May 15th, 2013)
LANDED..........
1-July-2013
If you live in Canada, you need your Canadian passport to return to Canada and there is no question you will need that passport, so I am assuming you want to know if carrying your "asian" passport is necessary/required/convenient. Canada does not have missions everywhere and if you need any type of help abroad, it is always a good thing to have all the help you can get from another consular mission. However, of course, if you needed help to get repatriated to Canada, an "asian" mission may not be able to help you. My advice is that you carry both if you feel your "asian" passport will get you the help you might need should the Canadian mission fail. Also consider the risk of losing your passports; how easy it is to get a new passport from your "asian" country is something to think about. London has an actual government mission, but in Belfast, Edinburgh and Wales consular services are provided through honorary consuls, which are not employees of the government of Canada, but rather 3rd party employees, yet, this is not useful because services are provided in London. You may want to check the missions of your "asian" country in the UK and decide whether carrying that passport is a good idea.

Stef.

Apr 5, 2017
I will have my Canadian citizenship hopefully next Tuesday. I will then have two passports: a German and the Canadian. When going to Europe I will take both. The German one for easier access to European countries and the Canadian, as it is a must for entering Canada.
But you do NOT need to take your Asian passport for traveling, only if it gets you easier access to Asian countries. You need the Canadian though for entering Canada.

CANADIANZ

Mar 30, 2017
I will have my Canadian citizenship hopefully next Tuesday. I will then have two passports: a German and the Canadian. When going to Europe I will take both. The German one for easier access to European countries and the Canadian, as it is a must for entering Canada.
But you do NOT need to take your Asian passport for traveling, only if it gets you easier access to Asian countries. You need the Canadian though for entering Canada.
Hi @Stef.,

I have a quick question. I was wondering how can you have both German and Canadain Nationality? I think Germany does not allow dual nationality. So how one can have both German and Canadian passports?

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
If going to the uk only, the canadian one should be enough.

ibry

Jul 25, 2010
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
Hi experts. I'm a new Canadian citizen and will be traveling with Canadian Passport for the very first time. I'll be going to UK. I also have another Passport from an asian country. My question is, do I need to carry both passports or just to carry Canadian Passport is good enough?

May sound silly, but just to be sure.

Thanks

Ill say of you are going to an Asian country or Asia. Its good to take it. I will take it if its my first time travelling out with my canadian passport out of anxiety but also look at how easy for it to be replaced. If its a hassle. Leave it behind

Stef.

Apr 5, 2017
Hi @Stef.,

I have a quick question. I was wondering how can you have both German and Canadain Nationality? I think Germany does not allow dual nationality. So how one can have both German and Canadian passports?
You have to first apply to the German government to permit you dual citizenship before you apply for your Canadian citizenship.
The process is lengthy and rather complicated as you have to argue your specific case. You need to prove that you personally have a disadvantage not having the Canadian citizenship plus show that you still have close connections to Germany.
Arguments such as you want to get over the border to the US do not count as this would apply to all Germans.
So for example if you can show that you can get a job in Canada for which you need [!] the Canadian citizenship AND you still have a close relationship to Germany than they might permit you the dual citizenship.
I sent in a lengthy application with 4 points of importance.
Worked for me.