+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

traveling with a refugee travel documents while PR application is processing

amahmustang

Nov 26, 2015
I wonder if anyone traveled using the refugee travel document while their PR application is still in process. Any issues in the border? Were you able to re-enter Canada?

I need to visit my sister in US but I am very worried to have any issue entering Canada again. Please share your experience or If you know anything about travelling using the blue travel doc while PR application processing.

Thanks!

stanadyne114

Aug 10, 2015
I don't think you'll have a problem entering Canada. You have to apply a Visa to visit USA and they approve Visa on a travel document. Take with you any document that proves your status in Canada like notice of decision, PPSD, VOS etc. the officials at Canadian border might need all those documents to verify your status and you will have no issues at all.

amahmustang

Nov 26, 2015
stanadyne114 said:
I don't think you'll have a problem entering Canada. You have to apply a Visa to visit USA and they approve Visa on a travel document. Take with you any document that proves your status in Canada like notice of decision, PPSD, VOS etc. the officials at Canadian border might need all those documents to verify your status and you will have no issues at all.
Thank you @stanadyne114 for the reply. I have applied and been issued a US visa on my RTD. Have you known anyone drove to the US by car and been able to re-enter Canada while their PR application is processing? What kind of questions should I expect to be asked by the border agent. Thanks again.

inCanadaKNOW

Dec 22, 2015
Congratulations on your US VISA!!

Yes you may enter Canada with your Blue Travel Document and this is what proves that you have the right to enter the country.
I have travelled by car many times and when you cross the border they will ask you for ID, you give them the Travel Document.
They then can ask you questions as follow:
  • where did you go in the US and what was the purpose of your visit?
    how long were you away from Canada?
    where do you live?
    when did you make refugee claim and from what country?
    did you already apply for your PR? you may also carry proof that you did.. such as the letter of receipt from Immigration Canada.
    they may even ask sometimes: have you had any problems with CBSA before.. this will be due to your status being protected person and for some reason this brings up a red flag to them and pokes this question. First please tell them if you have had any issues OR THAT YOU HAVE NOT. But just also add that you were a protected person or that you claimed refugee status. (one of the officers advised me to say so a few weeks ago when I travelled; she says this makes it clearer for them). Given you're carrying a blue travel Doc I don't think this will be a time consuming question.
    lastly, they'll ask you: what are you bringing to Canada ie. alcohol, gifts, weapons.

They may also ask to inspect your car (trunk or inside if it's a van) if they want to.

So far I've honestly had an excellent experience crossing the border.

amahmustang

Nov 26, 2015
inCanadaKNOW said:
Congratulations on your US VISA!!

Yes you may enter Canada with your Blue Travel Document and this is what proves that you have the right to enter the country.
I have travelled by car many times and when you cross the border they will ask you for ID, you give them the Travel Document.
They then can ask you questions as follow:
  • where did you go in the US and what was the purpose of your visit?
    how long were you away from Canada?
    where do you live?
    when did you make refugee claim and from what country?
    did you already apply for your PR? you may also carry proof that you did.. such as the letter of receipt from Immigration Canada.
    they may even ask sometimes: have you had any problems with CBSA before.. this will be due to your status being protected person and for some reason this brings up a red flag to them and pokes this question. First please tell them if you have had any issues OR THAT YOU HAVE NOT. But just also add that you were a protected person or that you claimed refugee status. (one of the officers advised me to say so a few weeks ago when I travelled; she says this makes it clearer for them). Given you're carrying a blue travel Doc I don't think this will be a time consuming question.
    lastly, they'll ask you: what are you bringing to Canada ie. alcohol, gifts, weapons.

They may also ask to inspect your car (trunk or inside if it's a van) if they want to.

So far I've honestly had an excellent experience crossing the border.
Thank you @incanadaKNow your answer is very helpful.

I wonder if you experience this yourself while your PR application been issued or was processing?

Thanks again

WishuWereHere

Star Member
Mar 6, 2013
I traveled two times while my PR application was in process but you will have to be ready for a brief interview by CBSA officers when you return back.
amahmustang said:
Thank you @incanadaKNow your answer is very helpful.

I wonder if you experience this yourself while your PR application been issued or was processing?

Thanks again

artin2015

Oct 4, 2015
Toronto
App. Filed.......
23 aug 2013
File Transfer...
Sep 24 2015
LANDED..........
12-12-2017
WishuWereHere said:
I traveled two times while my PR application was in process but you will have to be ready for a brief interview by CBSA officers when you return back.
Where did you traveled with RTD?