+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling while my OWP is processing (but I have a valid PGWP!)

malobaidi

Nov 18, 2021
Can I travel outside Canada while my OWP is processing. I have a valid PGWP which does not expire before my return date (I am traveling for only few weeks).

While the answer may seem like a no-brainer (i.e. yes I can travel while my current PGWP is valid), I received a letter called "WP-EXT ONLY EXCEPT PGWP", which goes as follows:

Please attach this letter to your present work permit Number as proof
that you are authorized to continue working with the same conditions
(ie: employer and occupation) until March 22, 2022 or until a
decision is made on your application, whichever is first. This
extended period of work is authorized as per subsection 186(u) of the
Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulations. If you leave Canada
before a decision is made on your application, you will no longer be
authorized to continue working.
The letter says that if I leave Canada, my status will be revoked....

Can you help me figure this out, please. In other words, does this letter voids the remaining time in my PGWP, or can I safely travel and come back?

Thanks!

malobaidi

Nov 18, 2021
Okay so I finally got through to an IRCC agent. The agent said that if my current PGWP validity is longer than what is specified in the letter, then the PGWP is valid and overrides the date which is specified in the letter. Also, I can travel as long as my current PGWP is not expired, but I have to be back before PGWP and TRV the expiration date.

PedroCoral

Star Member
Oct 23, 2020
Hi Malobaidi, I applied for my PGWP and my wife's application received this "WP-EXT ONLY EXCEPT PGWP" letter. She has a work permit valid until Jul 30, 2022, and I have a study permit with the same date, but I'm on my "implied status" while we wait for the IRCC reply. This new letter reduces her date to May 14... so we are confused.

How did you contact an IRCC agent?