+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling while in process for PR

Giovanna024

Jun 11, 2019
I have a question I am American and my husband is Canadian and we wanna apply threw inland Spouse sponsorship for a PR.
I was wondering if I can leave Canada while I am in procees of getting PR for 3 weeks, I wanna see my parents in Europe or should I wait to get a PR first?

Also I dont know if I can stay longer then 6months with Us passport married to Canadian?

Thank You I am confused.

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
As the spouse of a Canadian you are generally exempt from the travel restrictions but by default you still only get 6 months per entry. You can apply to extend this with a visitor record.

The bigger problem here is if you leave Canada while you have an inland PR application pending, it can be treated as you abandoning the application.

Reactions: Giovanna024

Giovanna024

Jun 11, 2019
As the spouse of a Canadian you are generally exempt from the travel restrictions but by default you still only get 6 months per entry. You can apply to extend this with a visitor record.

The bigger problem here is if you leave Canada while you have an inland PR application pending, it can be treated as you abandoning the application.
Ok so basicly its better NOT to travel if I am planning vacations to Europe until I get PR.

mashulia_26

Apr 6, 2018
I have a question I am American and my husband is Canadian and we wanna apply threw inland Spouse sponsorship for a PR.
I was wondering if I can leave Canada while I am in procees of getting PR for 3 weeks, I wanna see my parents in Europe or should I wait to get a PR first?

Also I dont know if I can stay longer then 6months with Us passport married to Canadian?

Thank You I am confused.
Left to Mexico for 14 days while my inland PR was in process and came back with no problems. It was before covid but I dont think it's much different now.

Giovanna024

Jun 11, 2019
Left to Mexico for 14 days while my inland PR was in process and came back with no problems. It was before covid but I dont think it's much different now.
What passport did u have? I am just worried if I apply for PR in Sept and stay in Canada over 6months because I am waiting for PR and have already my Work Permit, if I can go to Europe for 3 weeks and be able to get back in Canada where I will be living with my Husband.

mashulia_26

Apr 6, 2018
What passport did u have? I am just worried if I apply for PR in Sept and stay in Canada over 6months because I am waiting for PR and have already my Work Permit, if I can go to Europe for 3 weeks and be able to get back in Canada where I will be living with my Husband.
Dont think you have a problem at all, if you wont stay for longer than 2-3 weeks and Russian. I mean at least I didnt have a problem coming back to Canada especially if you will have a work permit as you say.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
A short visit of 2-3 weeks seems to be overlooked while doing an inland application but there are risks of getting stuck abroad these days so there is that extra risk because nobody wants to start the sponsorship process over again.

Giovanna024

Jun 11, 2019
A short visit of 2-3 weeks seems to be overlooked while doing an inland application but there are risks of getting stuck abroad these days so there is that extra risk because nobody wants to start the sponsorship process over again.
Yes, I agree, thats why we will go first visiting and then apply for PR so I dont have to leave Canada.
So not even with Work Permit cant leave for 3 weeks?