+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling to Canada with spouse

Matt345

Jun 20, 2020
Hello. I have a study permit issued before march 18 and my wife has an open work permit from the same date. My school (flight school) is planing to start early july and obviously i have to be there. Can my wife travel with me? I am not sure about restrictions about International student's spouse. I just don't want to leave my wife behind and also i have to attend the school. Some says it's okay other says she can't travel. I am loosing my mind. Please help.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello. I have a study permit issued before march 18 and my wife has an open work permit from the same date. My school (flight school) is planing to start early july and obviously i have to be there. Can my wife travel with me? I am not sure about restrictions about International student's spouse. I just don't want to leave my wife behind and also i have to attend the school. Some says it's okay other says she can't travel. I am loosing my mind. Please help.
Unfortunately there's no black and white answer.

We have seen a number of people denied boarding on this forum who are in your wife's situation. The only thing that seems to guarantee the ability to board the plane is already having a job in Canada. Any chance your wife already has an employment offier in Canada?

Matt345

Jun 20, 2020
Unfortunately there's no black and white answer.

We have seen a number of people denied boarding on this forum who are in your wife's situation. The only thing that seems to guarantee the ability to board the plane is already having a job in Canada. Any chance your wife already has an employment offier in Canada?
No it's going to be our first time.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Matt345

Jun 20, 2020
I sent ircc an email and they sent me some information back. It says work permit holder does not need letter and they are exempt from the restrictions. Still i am not sure.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
I sent ircc an email and they sent me some information back. It says work permit holder does not need letter and they are exempt from the restrictions. Still i am not sure.
CBSA is the one who determines if individuals are allowed to board planes (not IRCC). While the travel restrictions are in place, there's no guarantee your wife will be able to board. Again, we've seen a number of people on this forum who have been denied boarding. She may be allowed or she may not be. There's no way to say for certain while the travel restrictions are in place.

Make sure you arrive in Canada at least 2 weeks before your classes start since you'll need to quarantine for 14 days when you arrive.

Matt345

Jun 20, 2020
CBSA is the one who determines if individuals are allowed to board planes (not IRCC). While the travel restrictions are in place, there's no guarantee your wife will be able to board. Again, we've seen a number of people on this forum who have been denied boarding. She may be allowed or she may not be. There's no way to say for certain while the travel restrictions are in place.

Make sure you arrive in Canada at least 2 weeks before your classes start since you'll need to quarantine for 14 days when you arrive.
Thanks for all the help. I am not going to leave my wife at the gate that's for sure. If she can't board to plane there is no reason for me to leave without her.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks for all the help. I am not going to leave my wife at the gate that's for sure. If she can't board to plane there is no reason for me to leave without her.
You’ll need to check to see if you can defer your enrolment or try your chances at the airport. If your flight school starts in July you need to leave very soon to account for travel and a 14 days quarantine.

Matt345

Jun 20, 2020
You’ll need to check to see if you can defer your enrolment or try your chances at the airport. If your flight school starts in July you need to leave very soon to account for travel and a 14 days quarantine.
Yes that's why i bought a ticket that departs on 26th of june. I still don't have any idea why wouldn't they let the spouse travel with.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes that's why i bought a ticket that departs on 26th of june. I still don't have any idea why wouldn't they let the spouse travel with.
During a pandemic the government wants to reduce the amount of people coming into Canada. There also is the issue of healthcare. Many of the people arriving may not have healthcare so if they have covid the cost of treatment would be up to the provinces to cover.

Phan Do

Dec 17, 2019
Update: we have successfully passed the border.
May I ask you what they asked you at the border and how you got through it? Did you send a letter to IRCC for authorization letter?

My wife (with OWP approval letter, flying to Canada for the first time) is planning to fly mid July so any help would be appreciated for us.

Thank you so much.

Matt345

Jun 20, 2020
May I ask you what they asked you at the border and how you got through it? Did you send a letter to IRCC for authorization letter?

My wife (with OWP approval letter, flying to Canada for the first time) is planning to fly mid July so any help would be appreciated for us.

Thank you so much.
Officer asked my acceptance letter and asked me when will the school start. I said it's going to reopen in July but she wanted to see exact date. She said if i don't have exact date she can't let me in. I contacted with the school and thankfully they sent me an email stating that school will be open in july. She asked my wife if she has a employment letter but she didn't have. But she let us go anyway. We didn't have exemption letter from Ircc.