+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling outside of Canada while PGWP processes(expired TRV)

valdo_oz

Jun 13, 2017
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone on this forum has experience with or knowledge about traveling outside of Canada while a PGWP application is in process and would be able to help me out!

Basically, my study permit/TRV both expired on May 31, 2017. I applied for my PGWP on May 24. Hence, I am currently residing in Canada with implied status. I'd like to travel home before starting a full-time job and this post-grad period of waiting for my PGWP seems like a good opportunity for it. My questions are -

Is it ok to leave Canada while my PGWP application is processing, or is it required/recommended to stay in Canada until a decision is made?

If leaving Canada is ok, what is the best route to get my TRV to re-enter the country? Do I wait until my PGWP is approved and get it mailed(by my roommates) to my home country and then apply for it there? Or is it possible to get a visitor visa (tourist) in Canada before I leave?

Thank you in advance for your help.

canadianking

Jul 1, 2016
Hi everyone,

I'm hoping someone on this forum has experience with or knowledge about traveling outside of Canada while a PGWP application is in process and would be able to help me out!

Basically, my study permit/TRV both expired on May 31, 2017. I applied for my PGWP on May 24. Hence, I am currently residing in Canada with implied status. I'd like to travel home before starting a full-time job and this post-grad period of waiting for my PGWP seems like a good opportunity for it. My questions are -

Is it ok to leave Canada while my PGWP application is processing, or is it required/recommended to stay in Canada until a decision is made?

If leaving Canada is ok, what is the best route to get my TRV to re-enter the country? Do I wait until my PGWP is approved and get it mailed(by my roommates) to my home country and then apply for it there? Or is it possible to get a visitor visa (tourist) in Canada before I leave?

Thank you in advance for your help.
yes it is okay to leave canada while PGWP is in process but very risky in situation where it gets denied.
I will recommend you wait for your PGWP before leaving canada to avoid risks.
get your PGWP first and then go home, you can apply for a visa from outside once you have obtain your pgwp.

valdo_oz

Jun 13, 2017
yes it is okay to leave canada while PGWP is in process but very risky in situation where it gets denied.
I will recommend you wait for your PGWP before leaving canada to avoid risks.
get your PGWP first and then go home, you can apply for a visa from outside once you have obtain your pgwp.
Thank you for your response! Could you elaborate why it is risky to leave in the event that it gets denied? I'm assuming I would have to leave Canada for good in that scenario