+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling on Indian passport after receiving citizenship (Re-entry to Canada?)

adipadi

Star Member
Nov 17, 2013
Hi Folks,

I was reading online that I have 3 months from the date that I receive another citizenship, to continue traveling on my indian passport. But since my PR card has to be surrendered as part of oath ceremony, how would I be allowed back into Canada? Does anyone know?

I have am emergency situation wherein I may need to travel to India during this time. I appreciate the help.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hi Folks,

I was reading online that I have 3 months from the date that I receive another citizenship, to continue traveling on my indian passport. But since my PR card has to be surrendered as part of oath ceremony, how would I be allowed back into Canada? Does anyone know?

I have am emergency situation wherein I may need to travel to India during this time. I appreciate the help.
1. Not at an airport, you would require Canadian passport to board a flight to Canada.

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
I would strongly advise to be careful. You could get into a lot of trouble if you arrive in India with your Indian passport and try to exit with your Canadian passport. The guys at the airline counter won’t check you in without proof of Residence in Canada while the immigration clerk will look for your entry stamp if you show your Canadian passport. No amount of website information about a 3 month grace is likely to convince them. I read in another discussion that someone used both their passports, the staff was ‘confused’ and let them go. Either that story is not true or that person is one incredibly lucky chap.
The bureaucratic nightmare that Indian airports are, it is best to be on the right side of the law.

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
FYI - For me they were asking where was my previous Indian passport when i presented the new Indian passport. So the immigration guys track the previous passport used.
So certainly not everyone will know the rules hence should be careful in using multiple country passports.

jc94

Mar 14, 2016
Hi Folks,

Two days after your Oath apply for a Canadian passport. If you want it quick pay $50 extra (easier to then get it even faster if needed) but be aware they may want proof of travel. 24h is $110 extra ($495 weekend) and unlikely to take your money without proof of travel (ie: ticket).

Advice is generally not to travel on Indian passport after Canadian Oath. Believe the three month period is mainly to surrender it, not use it, but even the BLS website and other sources contradict themselves and most airport agents are lacking in knowledge.

You have to have a Canadian passport to reenter Canada
You have to have a Canadian passport to board a commercial travel carrier bound for Canada. Flight, boat, whatever. If you somehow get to a Canadian border (most likely instance is a US/Canada land crossing) you will get in without a passport, you have a legal right to enter (same as a PR). But if you turn up without any other proof of ID (photo ID inc. driving license and anything else you have is strongly recommended) it may take some time.

It's not worth messing around with it, if you need to travel get a urgent Canadian passport and surrender the Indian one within 3 months on your return (or there) but don't show it to anyone when travelling on your Canadian one at an airport!

adipadi

Star Member
Nov 17, 2013
Thank you all so much for the overwhelming and considerate responses. Given how rapidly the global travel situation is deteriorating, I have decided to swallow the bitter pill of staying put and tackling my emergency situation head-on, at a later point, even though it may have become more complicated with time. Only time will tell if my decision was right.

But thanks all of you so much for your valued inputs!!

action.me

May 7, 2021
What if you fly to Kathmandu on Canadian passport and cross the land border in to India? Do the same for return.
Just thinking how you don't have to give up indian passport...

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
What if you fly to Kathmandu on Canadian passport and cross the land border in to India? Do the same for return.
Just thinking how you don't have to give up indian passport...
Does Nepal have visa on arrival for Canadians? If not, that wd be even more tedious; to apply for a visa first. In addition if you are from the north of India, Nepal could be an option but not for everyone.

Also, things are not exactly rosy between India and Nepal so probably avoidable.

The trouble that one could land in without surrendering the Indian PP is probably not worth the couple of hundred $$$ you will spend. Unless you have a very strong reason for retaining it, knowing that is violates Indian law.

action.me

May 7, 2021
Does Nepal have visa on arrival for Canadians? If not, that wd be even more tedious; to apply for a visa first. In addition if you are from the north of India, Nepal could be an option but not for everyone.

Also, things are not exactly rosy between India and Nepal so probably avoidable.
It looks like you can get a visa on arrival in Nepal. To fly between Nepal and India you only need a proof of ID issued by indian govt. To cross land border you apparently don't need anything because there's no one to check? I could be wrong though as I have never been there but it could be a way to avoid all the hassle of surrendering indian passport, applying for a visa or PIO card, etc, etc.

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
It looks like you can get a visa on arrival in Nepal. To fly between Nepal and India you only need a proof of ID issued by indian govt. To cross land border you apparently don't need anything because there's no one to check? I could be wrong though as I have never been there but it could be a way to avoid all the hassle of surrendering indian passport, applying for a visa or PIO card, etc, etc.
The Nepal border is about 150 km from my home town in UP. If anyone says there is no one to check, they are incorrect. I’ve travelled to Nepal many times, the last time in 2013. Trust me, there’s ample checking including inspection of vehicles.
If you ever try that, please share your experience. Happy to be corrected.

action.me

May 7, 2021
The Nepal border is about 150 km from my home town in UP. If anyone says there is no one to check, they are incorrect. I’ve travelled to Nepal many times, the last time in 2013. Trust me, there’s ample checking including inspection of vehicles.
Nah I'm not traveling It was just an interesting topic which got my attention. Thanks for sharing your opinion/experience.

Reactions: akbardxb

action.me

May 7, 2021
Here's another scenario I am thinking of where the Indian passport can be kept along with Canadian for a few years.
If you have a B1/B2 visa on your Indian passport, you can fly to India from the states and back and not have to produce Canadian passport to indian authorities at all. This could continue until the US visa expires as it most likely can't be renewed and there's also a possibility at time of surrender few years down the line the Indian authorities will try to penalize for all the travel.

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Here's another scenario I am thinking of where the Indian passport can be kept along with Canadian for a few years.
If you have a B1/B2 visa on your Indian passport, you can fly to India from the states and back and not have to produce Canadian passport to indian authorities at all. This could continue until the US visa expires as it most likely can't be renewed and there's also a possibility at time of surrender few years down the line the Indian authorities will try to penalize for all the travel.
You are really keen on being a dual citizen :)

Here's the counter to your scenario. Your bags and checked in India and as a Canadian traveller, a valid Indian passport is found on your person. Good luck with that!

Reactions: action.me

action.me

May 7, 2021
You are really keen on being a dual citizen :)

Here's the counter to your scenario. Your bags and checked in India and as a Canadian traveller, a valid Indian passport is found on your person. Good luck with that!
Haha.

You fly with carry-on bags and pack it precisely not giving them any reason to open it. Put your Canadian passport in an RFID protected wallet.

If you were referring to bags checked in from Canada to India through US that's not what I meant. I was saying you fly to like Chicago on a separate flight and then go to New Delhi & back and then return to Canada on a separate flight.

You show Canadian/Indian(B1/B2 Visa) passport to enter United States and say you are going to India if they ask. Then you enter and exit India with your indian passport. You have B1/B2 visa which lets you board flight to US. Show them whichever passport you wanna show once in US as they don't really care.