+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling Frequently. Extend Visitor Status by 6 months or not?

rio5

Nov 9, 2016
Hello,

I entered Canada April 1st from the US to move in with my significant other who is a Canadian citizen so we can establish common law over the next year & eventually common law sponsorship for PR. I entered properly at the border and stated my intentions, I was taken to secondary and given a visitor's record stapled into my passport for proof of my intention to stay for 6 months. It's now nearly July -- our intent was for me to file for a 6 month extension in September so the gov't knows I'm here and we've tracked my status here (to prove for common law sponsorship). At the one year mark I'll file for PR with him as my sponsor.

I also have a Nexus card and we have traveled frequently together. We were in California a few weeks ago, and will be in Europe together in September for two weeks.

So, now that I have exited the country before the 6 month mark and will again in September, will I still need to file for a 6 month extension? Doesn't that 6 month mark technically reset every time I leave the country? Or, should I still apply for a visitor's extension for tracking purposes for common law? We want to do everything we can to increase our chances of me being able to stay here, obviously, so want to do it the right way.

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
Every time you re-enter Canada, the clock resets. I don't think asking for a visitor record will make any difference now. If they give you one, no harm, but I wouldn't bother asking for one.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Every time you re-enter Canada, the clock resets. I don't think asking for a visitor record will make any difference now. If they give you one, no harm, but I wouldn't bother asking for one.
Possible though the OP should expect to go through secondary again though if despite being from the US and having a Nexus they suspect she is living in Canada as a visitor. Just saying given no way to know what might happen , CBSA might just wave through and then all set again but of course every long term stay/exit has a chance of scrutiny. Then again easy to over think things and worry too much so good luck to the OP anyway.