+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling/Flights to Canada from India during COVID 19

rvk123

Sep 20, 2019
Do we need to apply to book n travel on VBM phase 5 flights? Has anyone travelled in August? Can you help me with

mage

Star Member
Jul 24, 2020
Do we need to apply to book n travel on VBM phase 5 flights? Has anyone travelled in August? Can you help me with
If you're travelling out of India on a VBM flight, then no, you don't need to apply anywhere before booking the ticket. You need to make sure that you're eligible to travel yourself and if needed, prove it to the airline staff at the airport.
If you are taking a VBM flight to arrive back in India from outside, then I'm not sure if there's still any registration process. There used to be one in early phases of VBM, where you'd have needed to register with Indian embassy or high commission in your respective country, if you wanted to come back to India.

Reactions: rvk123

rvk123

Sep 20, 2019
If you're travelling out of India on a VBM flight, then no, you don't need to apply anywhere before booking the ticket. You need to make sure that you're eligible to travel yourself and if needed, prove it to the airline staff at the airport.
If you are taking a VBM flight to arrive back in India from outside, then I'm not sure if there's still any registration process. There used to be one in early phases of VBM, where you'd have needed to register with Indian embassy or high commission in your respective country, if you wanted to come back to India.
Thanks a lot for the reply, that would help me clarify my doubts. I hold a CoPR and planning my trip to Canada soon.

Reactions: mage

navyasri99

Jul 4, 2018
2nd question - Were u allowed 2 pcs of luggage per passenger from hyd?
Did u have to request at the counter to tag your luggage directly to your destination?
Hi! We booked via a travel agent, but he gave 2 separate tickets.

The counter tagged our luggage directly, though i confirmed multiple times at all airports with the staff if our luggage was onboarded or not. They can actually check and tell you if your luggage has been transferred to the aircraft or not.

Our agent told us we will be allowed only 1 bag (23kgs) per person and will have to pay 100CAD per extra bag each. So we made up our minds to pay for an extra bag. However, we got lucky and Air Canada did not charge us for the extra bag.

I have shared the number of my travel agent in DM.

Abdullahahmed

Jan 24, 2019
Thnx!
Hi! We booked via a travel agent, but he gave 2 separate tickets.

The counter tagged our luggage directly, though i confirmed multiple times at all airports with the staff if our luggage was onboarded or not. They can actually check and tell you if your luggage has been transferred to the aircraft or not.

Our agent told us we will be allowed only 1 bag (23kgs) per person and will have to pay 100CAD per extra bag each. So we made up our minds to pay for an extra bag. However, we got lucky and Air Canada did not charge us for the extra bag.

I have shared the number of my travel agent in DM.
Thanx! This was very helpful.

rvk123

Sep 20, 2019
Thank you so much for ther response, that was a lot helpful. I hold a CoPR and planning to travel top Canada soon.

vinay9023

May 31, 2019
Hi guys! 62 hours of travel time later, Hello from Vancouver!! We reached a day before our COPR expired and I am so relieved!! :)

Here's my personal experience of travel from India, if it can help anyone

1. We booked an Air India flight (Hyderabad to Del) and Air India from Delhi Frankfurt. From Frankfurt to Toronto and then onward to Vancouver. We got the booking done via a travel agent. Indians with COPR approved before March 18th are allowed to transit via Frankfurt.
2. Our luggage was tagged from Hyderabad directly to Vancouver. Air India will only tag your luggage directly if the next airline is under Star Alliance (Air India and Air Canada are both under star alliance, so we didn't have an issue)
3. Hyderabad to Delhi -
-If you are travelling from any other city to Delhi to catch the VBM flight, please ensure that you are booking the domestic flights allotted to connect with VBM flights, else they won't tag your luggage directly/ you won't be able to transit to International terminal.
4. Layover at Delhi -
-We had an overnight layover of 13 hours at Delhi and rented a sleeping pod (Available both at single and double occupancy but a little expensive)
-You can also stay at Holiday Inn but the hotel was fully booked due to VBM passengers
-You cannot step out of the airport as you are in transit
5. Delhi to Frankfurt -
-AI flight to Frankfurt was smooth but only pre-packaged meals are available. I strongly suggest getting your own food (liquids are not allowed above 100ml, but food can be carried)
-Indians DO NOT follow social distancing one bit, so it was a little tense for me and my husband as people kept moving about. Carry a good supply of masks as Air India only gives one mask and it is advised to change your mask every 4-6 hours
6. Layover at Frankfurt -
-We had an overnight layover of 15 hours at Frankfurt to catch the Air Canada flight
- There is one transit hotel, but is very expensive and there are very few sleeping pods (cost about 100 euros per 8 hours). There are recliner chairs and you can sleep on these
- Again, please carry food as all shops close by 9pm and even the lounges close by 8pm
- Reach Air Canada counter by 8am to validate your documents and any queries
7. Flight to Toronto -
-Flight to Toronto was normal and the airplane was only 60% full. everyone followed social distancing rules, so it was much better than the AI flight
-On landing, all the COPR formalities took 3 hours and
-We onboarded the next flight to Vancouver and took a Lyft cab to our airbnb location
8. Other miscellaneous details -
-I wrote to Frankfurt airport authorities for confirmation that we would be allowed to travel and carried their confirmation email print out. I suggest you do the same (the email is bpold.frankfurt@polizei.bund.de)
-Download ArriveCan app and fill in the details of your quarantine in advance. Saves you a lot of time when you reach the customs section in port of entry

I am happy to answer any queries. feel free to DM or reply to this comment.

Wishing you all the very best :)

Regards,
Navya
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. It was very insightful. I'll be extra cautious and carry enough masks and food on my AI flight. My trip route is BLR-DEL-YVR-YVZ. I'm flying on AI from Bangalore to Vancouver and on Air Canada from Vancouver to Toronto.

I booked an AI domestic flight from BLR to DEL. As per your experience, do I need to make sure that this flight is allotted to connect to VBM? Can you please share how I can check that?

And do you know if my luggage can be tagged all the way to Toronto as mine will be a separate domestic ticket on Air Canada from Vancouver to Toronto? My destination city on CoPR is Toronto and I believe it won't be a problem even if I land in Vancouver.

Hope you are deservedly having a good time there after all the arduous planning.

navyasri99

Jul 4, 2018
Thank you so much for sharing your experience. It was very insightful. I'll be extra cautious and carry enough masks and food on my AI flight. My trip route is BLR-DEL-YVR-YVZ. I'm flying on AI from Bangalore to Vancouver and on Air Canada from Vancouver to Toronto.

I booked an AI domestic flight from BLR to DEL. As per your experience, do I need to make sure that this flight is allotted to connect to VBM? Can you please share how I can check that?

And do you know if my luggage can be tagged all the way to Toronto as mine will be a separate domestic ticket on Air Canada from Vancouver to Toronto? My destination city on CoPR is Toronto and I believe it won't be a problem even if I land in Vancouver.

Hope you are deservedly having a good time there after all the arduous planning.
Hey!

1) There are specific domestic flights under VBM which are connecting flights for international VBM flights. It is given in the phase 5 list available on Air India website. You need to ensure your domestic connection of Bangalore to Delhi is that flight.
2) Yes, your luggage can be tagged all the way to Toronto (even though you have separate tickets). Since Air India and Air Canada are both under star alliance, it should not be a problem. Just request the check-in counter and they'll merge both your tickets.
3) Your destination city on COPR is just there on it. It actually doesn't matter where you land. Our destination city on COPR was Vancouver but we landed in Toronto and did our formalities there

We are currently under quarantine, hopefully will get out soon :)

Also, download ArriveCAN app and add all details, it will reduce the time for COVID related checks.

Happy to help! lemme know in case of any other queries.

Reactions: pumpkin_latte

Tangygal27

Feb 13, 2018
@Tangygal27 there are currently 3 options available to you .

Option 1
Take AI VBM flight to Frankfurt and then Air Canada from Frankfurt to Canada. You will reach Canada before the expiry of COPR. The only downside to this option is that travel time is almost 40-45 hrs depending upon the which domestic flight you take. Layover at Frankfurt is 12-15 hrs but people who travelled by this route have commented that sleeping pods are available at the airport also few people have book Transit hotel (200-350€) depending upon the the time you spend. Last I checked middle of August flights were available on this route last week of August are currently sold out AI flight to Frankfurt that is.

Option 2
Currently AI VBM direct flights to Vancouver are still available 23rd onwards. You can book these flights and take a connecting flight to your destination in canada. You will have to travel with AI which as you rightly said is stuffed to the max capacity. And Frankly speaking scary but you will reach Canada without spending too much travel time.

Option 3
Wait for your COPR to expire and ask for extension.

Commercial flights from india won't start anytime soon. Even though different travel bubbles are taking place as we speak chances of Indian nationals allowed to board these flights are slim to none. Looking at current scenario for international travel to open completely would take year end.

These are my honest opinion. Feel free to ask any questions if I have left anything.
Thank you for writing everything in detail. I really appreciate the effort @pkhare23 :)
I just can't seem to be able to convince myself to take AI, it paranoids me how i'm going to sanitise everything and survive the cramped flight. I have my fingers crossed on the booked 2nd sept KLM flight, but i highly doubt if it will ever take off plus the EU nationals criteria.

is Emirates flying to canada? I see flights bom to vancouver via dubai & toronto and the only criteria to board is to have a negative covid test result. i don't know if these are again dummy flights. Yest, i read a post in here that Air Canada is operating a selected number of flights end of August but the prices are exorbiant.

I could let my COPR expire but another long wait for approval is discouraging me from doing that. I am also really confused about the new guidelines for expired COPR, having to prove the intent of settling permanently via house lease & job letter :/ yikes!

pumpkin_latte

Oct 17, 2019
Toronto
Category........
FSW
I could let my COPR expire but another long wait for approval is discouraging me from doing that. I am also really confused about the new guidelines for expired COPR, having to prove the intent of settling permanently via house lease & job letter :/ yikes!
Quite right, and this is why some forummers such as myself who were planning on waiting it out (resume gap be damned) are starting to worry about whether we should risk live and limb in flying out before COPR expiry.

"They must show" is the phrase in that guideline that concerns me. It's not suggestive, but instructive and definitive. Which Canadian company in their right mind would give a COPR holder, essentially a foreign national with no rights in Canada at this point, to a job offer letter? How can we get a house lease sitting in India?

Right now most Indians with an expired COPR/PRV can show:
- Expired COPR/PRV prior to March 18
- A cancelled/expired one way flight ticket
- A resignation letter from an Indian company showing that they are unemployed indicating willingness to relocate.
- Updated proof of funds letter from the bank to show we can survive

IRCC is being quite insensitive in their demands; what good is an extension offer if the decision of our seriousness to relocate is a matter left up for their decision? And if they deem we don't have a serious case, how much longer can be stay unemployed in India? No employer would hire us here if they know we have a plan to relocate to Canada. Quite the darn pickle we are in.

Reactions: Tangygal27

Tangygal27

Feb 13, 2018
Quite right, and this is why some forummers such as myself who were planning on waiting it out (resume gap be damned) are starting to worry about whether we should risk live and limb in flying out before COPR expiry.

"They must show" is the phrase in that guideline that concerns me. It's not suggestive, but instructive and definitive. Which Canadian company in their right mind would give a COPR holder, essentially a foreign national with no rights in Canada at this point, to a job offer letter? How can we get a house lease sitting in India?

Right now most Indians with an expired COPR/PRV can show:
- Expired COPR/PRV prior to March 18
- A cancelled/expired one way flight ticket
- A resignation letter from an Indian company showing that they are unemployed indicating willingness to relocate.
- Updated proof of funds letter from the bank to show we can survive

IRCC is being quite insensitive in their demands; what good is an extension offer if the decision of our seriousness to relocate is a matter left up for their decision? And if they deem we don't have a serious case, how much longer can be stay unemployed in India? No employer would hire us here if they know we have a plan to relocate to Canada. Quite the darn pickle we are in.
Exactly my thoughts! This is what my nightmares are made of!! Hypothetically, even after successfully landing, it worries me about how the job market is gonna be.. i think either way its a screwed up situation..
I hope everything goes easy and I am just reading too much in between the lines. COPR is expiring on 6th Sept till then i'm gonna try to make it.
how are you holding up??

pkhare23

Sep 25, 2019
Hi everyone,

Sharing my experience of travelling back to Canada on Open Work Permit.

Route: Mumbai-London-Toronto

I had separate bookings for both flights but airport provided through check-in accommodation. Layover was 3 hours at Heathrow Airport.

Mumbai Airport:
I had 6 am flight from Mumbai to London. I reached there around midnight but was told to wait until 1 am till they start to form a queue outside and let passengers enter one at a time. I was provided with 2 self declaration forms in queue. They took my temperature and let me enter the airport. First they will stamp your health declaration form and then you move to check-in. Check in lady asked me my status in Canada and then checked in my luggage till Toronto and provided me with both boarding passes. I was asked to fill out a form that says if Air Canada asks me to pay for second baggage at London I have to pay for it. I didn't had a second bag still I filled it up. Security check was done within a minute cause of less people. Immigration officer asked me if I was a first time traveler. I said no and showed him my permit and old stamps of travel. He took few pictures. I also gave him my job offer letter and he read through it for 3 good minutes. He then took me to a senior officer who then read my letter and asked him to allow my travel. I reached the gate and traveled to London. PPE kits mandatory for middle seat passengers. Face mask and Shields for all others. Food and water was provided in advance on our seats in a plastic bag.

London Airport:
I landed in London 40 minutes late but I was not worried as I have been to the airport before. I quickly made it to the connections security check and then Air Canada Kiosk to check further travel instructions. He asked me to show my Job offer letter and told me I was good to go. He also asked me if I had second luggage to which I said no. I proceeded to my gate. Before boarding Air Canada Staff also checked the permit and letter and took our thermal readings. Flight was running at 30% capacity so boarding and departure was early then scheduled time. We were handed two forms in flight. One was purchased goods declaration and other was for your quarantine details. I filed them up and kept it handy for immigration. Food and Beverages were provided.

Toronto Airport:
I navigated to Immigration Desk and there was no queue. I provided my passport, work permit, job offer letter and in flight forms to the officer. She asked me when I left Canada and if I was working prior leaving Canada. I said yes and she asked me where. I answered everything in detail. She then asked me about the address for my quarantine and How will I manage? I said about a separate room and washroom and that my friends are willing to he;p me with food and groceries. Then we had some small talk about COVID till she went through my job letter and I got the entry stamp. I handed out the customs form and left the airport.

Overall it was a smooth and decent experience. I did not have any other work permit holders in immigration check. All of them were PR and CoPR holders. Be confident about your travel and go through all rules and regulations instead of pretending and believing peer reviews. Wish you all good luck!

PS: this is not mine just sharing

chandra415

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney -> Mississauga -> NDVO
App. Filed.......
04-11-2019 (App Received Date)
AOR Received.
23-11-2019
File Transfer...
File Transfer to NDVO: 13-01-2020
Med's Request
06-12-2019
Med's Done....
Medicals passed on 11-12-2019
Passport Req..
Waiting Eagerly
Hello All,

Is AirFrance allowing COPR holders to board the flights (DEL-FRN-TOR) ?
Did anyone successfully traveled via this route and landed as a PR ?

Thanks;
Chandra

pumpkin_latte

Oct 17, 2019
Toronto
Category........
FSW
Hello All,

Is AirFrance allowing COPR holders to board the flights (DEL-FRN-TOR) ?
Did anyone successfully traveled via this route and landed as a PR ?

Thanks;
Chandra
Source:

ELIGIBILITY SCOPE:

1. All EU (Including UK) and EEA nationals.
  2. Indian nationals permitted to travel abroad as per MHA guidelines & to destinations in EU (Including UK) & EEA.
  3. Third country foreign nationals returning to their home country (including spouse accompanied or otherwise).
  4. Indian nationals with US Green Cards, Permanent Residency (PR) for Canada, & other countries will be allowed to travel only in case of the specified family connection and travelling together. i.e child is a citizen of the destination country*
  5. Seamen of foreign nationalities.
  6. Indian seamen subject to clearance from Ministry of Shipping.
  • NOT INCLUDED IN THE CURRENT SCOPE:
PR holders for all third countries including US Green Cards and PR for Canada with no immediate family connection as specified above*

Reactions: chandra415

chandra415

Feb 20, 2016
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Sydney -> Mississauga -> NDVO
App. Filed.......
04-11-2019 (App Received Date)
AOR Received.
23-11-2019
File Transfer...
File Transfer to NDVO: 13-01-2020
Med's Request
06-12-2019
Med's Done....
Medicals passed on 11-12-2019
Passport Req..
Waiting Eagerly
Source:

ELIGIBILITY SCOPE:

1. All EU (Including UK) and EEA nationals.
  2. Indian nationals permitted to travel abroad as per MHA guidelines & to destinations in EU (Including UK) & EEA.
  3. Third country foreign nationals returning to their home country (including spouse accompanied or otherwise).
  4. Indian nationals with US Green Cards, Permanent Residency (PR) for Canada, & other countries will be allowed to travel only in case of the specified family connection and travelling together. i.e child is a citizen of the destination country*
  5. Seamen of foreign nationalities.
  6. Indian seamen subject to clearance from Ministry of Shipping.
  • NOT INCLUDED IN THE CURRENT SCOPE:
PR holders for all third countries including US Green Cards and PR for Canada with no immediate family connection as specified above*
Thank you so much. So I am a Permanent Resident residing in Canada and my parents are COPR holders issued before Mar 18th, can they travel ?

Thanks;