+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling/Flights to Canada from India during COVID 19

pkhare23

Sep 25, 2019
International Travel ? Word from where ? India / Canada?
@nt13 looking at current flight schedule for AI all flights are till 1st august ..... so it means that either they MAY allow international travel or they may open up these travel bubbles with different countries ... Also there was this guy on previous thread who said he heard from his friend who works in IATA that International travel will start from 6th August. I know we shouldn't base our travel in word of mouth but lets see how things work out.

Last edited:

nt13

Sep 1, 2017
Okay. So there is nothing that I foresee about hearing about lifting of ban on International travel - neither India nor Canada at least by 31st July.

Look at it this way, Canada has been able to control the Covid-19 cases under 1.3 lakhs and is now gradually opening its economy. Any reason Canada should open intl incoming passengers so soon to cause risk to its own people - that too after spending billions of dollars to do so and its population having worked really hard to follow rules and guidelines. I don't foresee, Canada is not US.

On the other side, India with the population of 1.3 billion, can't afford to keep economy closed again, and will keep it open with some restrictions. Even if India would want to open itself to intl travelers, how many are interested to come with the growing no of cases here. So, they better keep it restricted and not let people criticize the Govt for opening up intl travel.

For both countries, IMO, intl travel is not opening before say Oct - Nov. But these are my views though.

And do not forget, Hotels / Tourism / Air Travel and these industries even if they open up, the paranoia isn't going away any time soon. People are going to be jittery to undertake leisure / business travel. Just adds more reason for countries to allow Air Travel with restrictions.

Thanks.
India. No news yet whether ban will be lifted after July 31

Reactions: crackMBA

nt13

Sep 1, 2017
@nt13 looking at current flight schedule for AI all flights are till 1st august ..... so it means that either they MAY allow international travel or they may open up these travel bubbles with different countries ... Also there was this guy on previous thread who said he heard from his friend who works in IATA that International travel will start from 6th August. I know we shouldn't put too much trust in word of mouth but lets see how things work out.
For US / Europe, they have announced schedule until end of August. See Air India's VBM Phase 4 Extended schedule for these which is until 1st Sept.
Gives me more reason to believe that travel under restrictions will continue and not an open travel, that was in pre-Covid era.

Also, to clear some doubts, I personally went to AI office in my city today, and a Senior person sitting there to answer queries clearly stated that VBM with Canada might not happen, since there is no returning passengers from there. In case it happens, the no. of flights will be less, in last 3 weeks of July - only 3 flights were announced.

crackMBA

Mar 2, 2015
India
For US / Europe, they have announced schedule until end of August. See Air India's VBM Phase 4 Extended schedule for these which is until 1st Sept.
Gives me more reason to believe that travel under restrictions will continue and not an open travel, that was in pre-Covid era.

Also, to clear some doubts, I personally went to AI office in my city today, and a Senior person sitting there to answer queries clearly stated that VBM with Canada might not happen, since there is no returning passengers from there. In case it happens, the no. of flights will be less, in last 3 weeks of July - only 3 flights were announced.
Sounds discouraging

mr1989

Dec 23, 2019
I saw tickets on goibibo. They are connecting all the repatriation flights. I am not sure how genuine they are. You can call them and confirm.
I also saw the tickets but can't reach their customer care! Not sure if they will issue both the tickets on the same PNR or not

D2691

May 6, 2019
This is the response I got from German Embassy :

Dear Sir/Madam,

US/CAN citizens and holders of a residence permit or national visa (e.g. Green card) are exempted from the need of an A-Transit Visa. Therefore you could travel to Toronto via Frankfurt if you don’t leave the international transit area and have your luggage checked through till Toronto. You have to proof to the airline that the Canadian authorities will let you enter Canada. Proof of onward ticket is of course required. Please also check with your airline if your luggage will be checked through and if you can stay in the international transit area while changing planes. If this is not possible we can only give you the advice not to travel. Kindly note that a maximum stay in the international transit area is allowed for 24 hours.

Please have a look at the website of the German Federal Ministry of the Interior, also https://www.bmi.bund.de/SharedDocs/faqs/EN/topics/civil-protection/coronavirus/coronavirus-faqs.html

We understand, that the requirements for being eligible for the Indian repatriation flights can be stricter than the entry regulations of the European countries of residence. German Embassy has no influence on the decisions of the Indian government or the airline about who will be allowed to board the flights
Hey, what email address did you right to?
Thank you in advance

Invincible84

Champion Member
Jun 20, 2016
Ontario
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
06-02-2020
AOR Received.
04-03-2020
Canada is not US.

I love that line! So true and hopefully Canada will follow that going forward as well. Lets not waste all the efforts put in so far!

Reactions: nt13

nt13

Sep 1, 2017
I also saw the tickets but can't reach their customer care! Not sure if they will issue both the tickets on the same PNR or not
You won’t get single PNR with a Vande Bharat flight as far as my research on this goes. Checked with few agents too. And even that AI officer I met said the same.

However, he also confirmed that luggage can be tagged straight until Toronto from Delhi, if the connection from Frankfurt / Paris is a Star Alliance airline - like Air Canada. These baggage tags will be issued at Delhi Airport itself.

Hope this helps.

PS: would suggest to avoid on booking through MMT / Goibibo portals to avoid any hassles that may arise later. You should check directly on airlines portal or may be through a good known agent.

Reactions: pkhare23

adicha

Jan 20, 2020
Curious - Why is no one talking about Qatar airlines as an option to travel to Canada? Last I heard, people successfully made it to Canada and I know some people have made bookings and are planning to leave India later in July.

pkhare23

Sep 25, 2019
Curious - Why is no one talking about Qatar airlines as an option to travel to Canada? Last I heard, people successfully made it to Canada and I know some people have made bookings and are planning to leave India later in July.
That is because Qatar Airways flights are for a limited time till middle of next week. These discussions are for people hoping to travel in August/September.

Reactions: adicha

adicha

Jan 20, 2020
That is because Qatar Airways flights are for a limited time till middle of next week. These discussions are for people hoping to travel in August/September.
Thanks, I didn't know that ! After reading more about the 'air bubbles' I have yet to come across any information about which airlines will be operating in August.

I am just trying to consolidate what I know so far so please feel free to add/comment on the below. Pretty sure my knowledge has some gaps.

Assuming flights to Germany, UAE, France, US etc. resume after JULY, I hope the following airlines will be operational & likely candidates for a trip to Canada:-

1 Booking -CONNECTING FLIGHTS

1. Air India - Next to impossible to book; COPR holders allowed to board from India
2. Lufthansa - Delhi -> Frankfurt -> Toronto ; COPR holders are allowed to board from India (based on the response from German embassy in the thread above)
3. Air France - So far they aren't allowing COPR holders from boarding in India
4. Qatar - Delhi -> Doha -> Boston -> Toronto; Boarding allowed from India for COPR holders. US should not require any transit visa if you dont leave the airport
5. Emirates - Not sure
6. United - Not sure

2 Separate Bookings

This becomes complex and is probably a high risk endeavor. May need to look at this on a case by case basis. I am not sure how this can be accomplished without a transit or visitor visa of your layover destination.

I haven't heard of instances where if you book 2 different tickets with 2 different airlines & even if they belong to the same 'alliance' or 'loyalty' program, they will transfer your checked in luggage automatically without your intervention i.e. going through customs, immigration and checking it in again (for which you will need a transit visa or something similar).

Reactions: mr1989 and manas27