+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Traveling back to Canada without Canadian passport

Chaoui05

Jan 11, 2019
Hey everyone,

Really really urgent:
As of today I officially become Canadian Citizien, however I have an urgent trip to make outside of Canada that I can’t cancel nor reschedule, in 2 days (Feb 1st) therefore I won’t have time to apply for a Canadian passport and will be traveling back with my French passport which is traditionally a country except of visa.

What are the solutions offered to me to avoid being denied boarding on my way back to Canada?
I have applied for eTA but got denied because it says I am now a Canadian citizen.

I have also applied for special authorization to board plane without a Canadian passport but I doubt they will accept it.

What if I land in Buffalo and rent a car from there to cross the border?

Is there any other solution to board without a Canadian passport? This process is so painful and stupid to be quite honest

Seym

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2017
You don't need a passport to cross the land border. You can use your certificate for that. The Buffalo solution works.

canvan14

May 8, 2014
Hey everyone,

Really really urgent:
As of today I officially become Canadian Citizien, however I have an urgent trip to make outside of Canada that I can’t cancel nor reschedule, in 2 days (Feb 1st) therefore I won’t have time to apply for a Canadian passport and will be traveling back with my French passport which is traditionally a country except of visa.

What are the solutions offered to me to avoid being denied boarding on my way back to Canada?
I have applied for eTA but got denied because it says I am now a Canadian citizen.

I have also applied for special authorization to board plane without a Canadian passport but I doubt they will accept it.

What if I land in Buffalo and rent a car from there to cross the border?

Is there any other solution to board without a Canadian passport? This process is so painful and stupid to be quite honest
1) There is 1 day urgent passport service if your status changed to Complete tomorrow. You can apply on Thursday and get the passport on Friday before your flight if that works.

2) You have to contact the Canadian embassy in France

3) Buffalo option can be your last resort if it comes down to it

Reactions: EstherBarros

Chaoui05

Jan 11, 2019
Guys have you heard about that:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/dual-canadian-citizens-visit-canada.html#findOut

Find out if you are eligible for a special authorization to board your flight to Canada
You can apply for a special authorization if you:

• have a flight to Canada that leaves in less than 10 days, and
  • have a valid passport from a visa-exempt country.
And one of the following:

• have previously received a certificate of Canadian citizenship, or
  • held a Canadian passport in the past, or
  • were granted Canadian citizenship after having been a permanent resident of Canada.
Your information will be verified in our electronic systems to confirm that you are a Canadian citizen. This authorization will be valid for only 4 days from the date of travel you select on the form. If you don’t use it within this time, you will need to apply for a new authorization.

Zmaqsood

Champion Member
Sep 10, 2014
Milton. ON
Guys have you heard about that:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/dual-canadian-citizens-visit-canada.html#findOut

Find out if you are eligible for a special authorization to board your flight to Canada
You can apply for a special authorization if you:

• have a flight to Canada that leaves in less than 10 days, and
  • have a valid passport from a visa-exempt country.
And one of the following:

• have previously received a certificate of Canadian citizenship, or
  • held a Canadian passport in the past, or
  • were granted Canadian citizenship after having been a permanent resident of Canada.
Your information will be verified in our electronic systems to confirm that you are a Canadian citizen. This authorization will be valid for only 4 days from the date of travel you select on the form. If you don’t use it within this time, you will need to apply for a new authorization.
Why take that pain? Why not go for same day passport service? It is expensive but u will save urself quite alot of pain.