+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel with copr

cindyti

Mar 10, 2023
Hi i just receive my confirmation of residence. I would like to travel to mexico for christmas. I dont think that I will receive the PR card soon. I heard that I can come back to canada only by land at the border united states-canada with my passport + ecopr in private car.

I dont have other status in canada.
Do you think it will work?
And do i need to ask for an ETA(electronic travel authorisation) to come back to canada ? From mexico we need an ETA to travel to canada.

Thank you

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi i just receive my confirmation of residence. I would like to travel to mexico for christmas. I dont think that I will receive the PR card soon. I heard that I can come back to canada only by land at the border united states-canada with my passport + ecopr in private car.

And do i need to ask for an ETA(electronic travel authorisation) to come back to canada ? From mexico we need an ETA to travel to canada.

Thank you
Crossing in private car at land border will work (assuming you can enter USA). You do not need an ETA to do so and indeed will not be issued one (because you are a PR). The ETA is not needed to enter Canada but to board the plane to Canada.

(Separate point but for the most part ETAs are not needed to enter via a land border for countries on the visa waiver list - but that's as it applies to visa waiver country passport holders, not PRs - who cannot get ETAs anyway)

rachelm2000r

Star Member
Aug 19, 2023

Thank you
Hmmmm this is kind weird to me.
Do you have a valid passport ? Because mexico will not allowed you to enter. Unless you got a visa from USA or Schengen.

To re enter canada by Land ? Do you have a valide USA visa ?

If you heard so many cases ! I wish you bon_Voyage !