+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel to US without PR card but have a COPR and valid WORK PERMIT.

donnanne

Jun 10, 2017
Hi there,

I have just landed in Canada and have validated by CoPR. I'm now waiting for my PR card but am planning a trip to Hawaii for Christmas with my parents family. I know the CoPR is not a valid travel document but has anyone had issues with travelling in the past or will I be OK?

My old work visa (before PR) has expired but I will be travelling on a New Zealand passport which is visa exempt.
Hello,

Once you land as PR any previously valid work permit is null and void. A commercial carrier will not permit you to board a plane, bus or train to Canada without work permit, PR card, PRTD or Canadian passport. If you apply for an ETA since you have a visa exempt passport, it will be declined as you are now a PR and so do not require an ETA.

As mentioned above you could apply for a PRTD but you would be doing this from Hawaii (US) and since your trip is short the PRTD is not the best option. PRTDs can take up to 60 days and there may not be a full Canadian consulate in Hawaii to issue you with this.

Your best option is to change your return flight to fly back into US, somewhere near the Canadian border and cross into Canada by private vehicle or on foot. If you live in GTA you can do this at the Rainbow crossing from Buffalo into Niagra. Present the border official with your signed CoPR and NZ passport and you'll be allowed to enter without any issue. This is allowed.

Good luck!