+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Travel to US without PR card but have a COPR and valid WORK PERMIT.

jen10

Feb 7, 2014
I just got my COPR on January 27,2014 and i havent received my PR CARD yet but before i got my COPR I already booked a flight to the US from Feb 11-16 and and have no idea until that time that I would need a PRTD to come back to canada. I have a valid US visa, a valid passport that's from a non visa exempt country so I was told by the immigration agent that I have to get a Permanent resident travel document. A I would be staying in the Las Vegas for 5days only and the closest visa office is in LA I dont think I would be able to apply for a PTRD since their website shows it takes 60days to get a PRTD.

Before getting my COPR, I have an open work permit that's valid until August 2016. I have been to the US and back to Canada by air and land a few time and gained re entry to Canada using my work permit even though i dont have a TRV. I was told by the agent to ask my carrier if the airline will allow me to board the plane then I should be okay gaining re entry to Canada.

My question is would it be possible to show the carrier my open work permit that's still valid until 2016 and my COPR so they can let me board the plane? HELP PLEASE!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Getting your CORP doesn't make you a permanent resident - it just means you've been issued a permanent resident visa. Since getting the CORP have you actually left Canada and returned to "land" and become a permanent resident? The creation of yoru PR card won't be triggered until you have 'landed' and officially become a PR.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Passport and COPR will work if you cross over a land border via private vehicle (or walk). By air, you do need a PR card if from a non-visa exempt country. However, you probably can board with your passport and work permit document. Even though it has been invalidated since when you became a PR, the date on has not passed and the airline gate will not be able to validate it. Once you fly to Canada and get to Immigration, they can verify that you are a PR in the system once you show your passport, COPR and tell them the situation.

The trick is boarding. It is not a sure thing. Most likely it is fine but you are taking a small risk.

jen10

Feb 7, 2014
scylla said:
Getting your CORP doesn't make you a permanent resident - it just means you've been issued a permanent resident visa. Since getting the CORP have you actually left Canada and returned to "land" and become a permanent resident? The creation of yoru PR card won't be triggered until you have 'landed' and officially become a PR.
Hi Scylla, i was under the live in caregiver program and during my appearance at the immigration office, they issued me the COPR and I was told that my PR card will be mailed to me in 60days. I believe I dont have to leave canada and return to become a PR right? I am not sure. I wasn't told that I need to leave Canada, just that my PR will arrive by mail in 60days and after 2years i could apply for citizenship. I applied for my new SIN number as well and I already received it by mail. My COPR though says that it's valid only until november 2014.

jen10

Feb 7, 2014
keesio said:
Passport and COPR will work if you cross over a land border via private vehicle (or walk). By air, you do need a PR card if from a non-visa exempt country. However, you probably can board with your passport and work permit document. Even though it has been invalidated since when you became a PR, the date on has not passed and the airline gate will not be able to validate it. Once you fly to Canada and get to Immigration, they can verify that you are a PR in the system once you show your passport, COPR and tell them the situation.

The trick is boarding. It is not a sure thing. Most likely it is fine but you are taking a small risk.
Hello keesio thank you! I was thinking the same as well to use my work permit so I can board the plane. I was told that my problems would be boarding the plane as I dont have a PR card but if the carrier will let me board they told me the same thing that the immigration can verify my documents. I have been to the US by air travel twice and as i dont have a TRV I used my passport and work permit and i didnt have problems boarding the plane. Yes and I would be risking it by showing my work permit and not my COPR but as it is still valid until 2016 even though it was invalidated.

Getting a travel document will be tricky cos I have to travel to the LA visa office and I am not guaranteed that I would likely be issued one cos Ill be staying 5days only and 2 of it will be the weekend. I could apply for it but Im afraid I might be stuck there as I have to file my passport as well. Waiting for my PR card would be difficullt cos my COPR was issued on January 27 and i dont think that my PR card will be mailed in 3 weeks but im still crossing my fingers cos if it'll come in the mail, I could ask someone to express mail it to the US before the 16th.

Travelling by car would be the best option but i have to book a new flight from Vegas to Buffalo and travel by land. As it would be too expensive to do that and I dont drive as well, I am going with the family and my family's staying until the 19th and ill be back earlier cos I have to be at work right away.

I am just hoping I could use my work permit to board the plane.

Reactions: zam7 and ecekid

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
jen10 said:
Hi Scylla, i was under the live in caregiver program and during my appearance at the immigration office, they issued me the COPR and I was told that my PR card will be mailed to me in 60days. I believe I dont have to leave canada and return to become a PR right? I am not sure. I wasn't told that I need to leave Canada, just that my PR will arrive by mail in 60days and after 2years i could apply for citizenship. I applied for my new SIN number as well and I already received it by mail. My COPR though says that it's valid only until november 2014.
oops, I missed the part where you didn't land. Who told you that your PR card will be mailed to you? As far as I know, you must officially "land" at a port of entry. COPR is the paper you land with. But it needs to be signed by a CIC official.

And you have a new SIN number that does not start with '9'? I'm very confused. Is your COPR signed by a CIC official? maybe you already landed when you visited the immigration office?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It sounds like you already landed inland so you do not have to leave and come back in order to land. However, I suppose they took or cancelled your temporary visa from your passport because you are now a PR.

The problem with that is that in order to board a plane from the US to Canada, you need to show that you are allowed to enter Canada. If you do not have a work permit and TRV because you are a PR now, then you need a PR card or travel document. The airline will probably not let you board the plane without making sure you will be allowed to enter Canada because otherwise they will be responsible.

You could try to board the plane back and if they will not let you fly, you can get a flight to the Canada border and cross by land. Canada immigration will let you enter with just your COPR.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
Leon said:
It sounds like you already landed inland so you do not have to leave and come back in order to land
thanks for clearing that up. I though even inland people had to leave and come back - and where "flag-poleing" came from. Is that mostly for outland people visiting in Canada?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It is possible to land at CIC offices inland. Live-in caregivers and spousal inland applicants tend to be called for landing interviews at a local offices. Applicants that are not applying inland and may or may not be in Canada tend to be sent a COPR in order to land themselves in which case if they are located in Canada, they can either flagpole or they can actually call CIC and make an appointment to land at a local office. However, from what I have heard, there may be a few week wait to get a landing appointment.

jen10

Feb 7, 2014
keesio said:
oops, I missed the part where you didn't land. Who told you that your PR card will be mailed to you? As far as I know, you must officially "land" at a port of entry. COPR is the paper you land with. But it needs to be signed by a CIC official.

And you have a new SIN number that does not start with '9'? I'm very confused. Is your COPR signed by a CIC official? maybe you already landed when you visited the immigration office?
Yes MY COPR was signed by an Immigration officer. Since I am under the live in caregiver program, i believe we have a different way of processing our PR. As a LIC I have to be working for 24mos before I can apply for PR, while CIC is processing my PR they issued me an open work permit so I can get into different jobs other than a live in caregiver. I started processing my PR application January 2012 and was granted my COPR on January 2014. My COPR says became PR on January 27. My COPR was issued dec 2013 but I only got the COPR January 2014 when I came for my appearance on the 27th.

I was holding a SIN starting with 9 before but i just received my new SIN and it starts with '5' now.

jen10

Feb 7, 2014
Leon said:
It sounds like you already landed inland so you do not have to leave and come back in order to land. However, I suppose they took or cancelled your temporary visa from your passport because you are now a PR.

The problem with that is that in order to board a plane from the US to Canada, you need to show that you are allowed to enter Canada. If you do not have a work permit and TRV because you are a PR now, then you need a PR card or travel document. The airline will probably not let you board the plane without making sure you will be allowed to enter Canada because otherwise they will be responsible.

You could try to board the plane back and if they will not let you fly, you can get a flight to the Canada border and cross by land. Canada immigration will let you enter with just your COPR.

I was told when I went for my appointment or appearance to get my COPR to bring all my work permits with me but then they did not take it away so I am still in possession of my work permit. As for a temporary resident visa I dont have a valid one cos I can use my work permit to re enter Canada if I am only travelling to the US. A valid TRV is needed if I have to leave Canada and travel to a different country other than US.

So I still have a work permit that doesnt expire until 2016 but because I got my PR i believe it invalidates it. I have a valid passport, COPR but no PR card. I think I can still use my work permit and passport so I can board the plane, As Keesio said the trick is to board the plane cos the immigration can check in their system in regards with my PR. Do you think it would be possible to do that?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you still have the work permit and you were able to board a plane with just a work permit before, I don't see why it wouldn't still work.

jen10

Feb 7, 2014
Leon said:
If you still have the work permit and you were able to board a plane with just a work permit before, I don't see why it wouldn't still work.
Would I be likely questioned by the CBSA officers as to how I boarded? I'll have all of my documents though except of the PR card.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jen10 said:
Would I be likely questioned by the CBSA officers as to how I boarded? I'll have all of my documents though except of the PR card.
I doubt they will care how you boarded. If they ask, you can tell them. If they want to take your work permit then, let them. You are a PR so you don't need it any more. You will have your PR card by the next time you want to travel.

jen10

Feb 7, 2014
Leon said:
I doubt they will care how you boarded. If they ask, you can tell them. If they want to take your work permit then, let them. You are a PR so you don't need it any more. You will have your PR card by the next time you want to travel.
thank you! ill do that and will get back in a week to share what's gonna happen to me. :D