Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
25-03-2019
Med's Done....
08-05-2019
Hi folks,
I have decided to travel on Indian passport to India as Visas to India are closed and I recently got Canadian citizenship grant last month. Officially I got confirmation that Indian passport can be used for traveling within grace period of 90 days after acquiring foreign citizenship. I also got Canadian passport which I will use to travel back to Canada.

I understand that I will have to surrender my Indian passport and take exit visa from FRRO for clean exit from Indian immigration but they usually would give 2 weeks to fly back.

Q1) So do we need to apply for entry or stay visa like X-1 if my stay is for like 2 months?

Q2) Will it be granted to Canadian nationals when I have already entered in the country? I heard there is no restrictions there.

Q3) Do I still need to take exit visa if I get entry permit and I flyback to Canada within visa period?

Q4) How to apply directly exit visa without entry Visa? e-FRRO portal asks for type of existing visa which is likely not possible as I entered in Indian passport. So no entry visa prior.
What is the max validity for exit visa ?

Q5) is there any fine for entering without visa in India?

Reactions: neerajnaik123

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
Hi folks,
I have decided to travel on Indian passport to India as Visas to India are closed and I recently got Canadian citizenship grant last month. Officially I got confirmation that Indian passport can be used for traveling within grace period of 90 days after acquiring foreign citizenship. I also got Canadian passport which I will use to travel back to Canada.

I understand that I will have to surrender my Indian passport and take exit visa from FRRO for clean exit from Indian immigration but they usually would give 2 weeks to fly back.

Q1) So do we need to apply for entry or stay visa like X-1 if my stay is for like 2 months?

Q2) Will it be granted to Canadian nationals when I have already entered in the country? I heard there is no restrictions there.

Q3) Do I still need to take exit visa if I get entry permit and I flyback to Canada within visa period?

Q4) How to apply directly exit visa without entry Visa? e-FRRO portal asks for type of existing visa which is likely not possible as I entered in Indian passport. So no entry visa prior.

I doubt 1 and 2 will work as you are a Canadian citizen now and if you try to overstay it would be an illegal move.

3 - 4 is what the post talks about - https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/oci-process.254662/post-10629855

nikcho

Star Member
Nov 25, 2013
Hi folks,

Hi. I m in same situation . Plz tell me what you have done.? Have you gone to India ?
Do they let you go to India from Canada Airport ? They ask for PR card to leave ?
In India can we apply for OCI and come back easily to Canada after spending 4_5 months?
Kindly help to understand

bionic_dude

Dec 16, 2017
Hi folks,
Hi, please share the official source of the confirmation about the 90 day grace period. I had asked the Passport officer at Toronto embassy (email:

passport.toronto@mea.gov.in) and got the confirmation that there is no 90 day grace period, the only grace period is 30 days and that is for emergency travel only and is for specific emergency scenarios (death/medical emergency in the family etc). This conversation took place in July earlier this year. Otherwise, you have to pay fine at the time of passport surrender for each travel after acquiring foreign citizenship. So technically, nobody is stopping you to travel if you are okay to pay fines.

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016
Hi, please share the official source of the confirmation about the 90 day grace period. I had asked the Passport officer at Toronto embassy (email:

passport.toronto@mea.gov.in) and got the confirmation that there is no 90 day grace period, the only grace period is 30 days and that is for emergency travel only and is for specific emergency scenarios (death/medical emergency in the family etc). This conversation took place in July earlier this year. Otherwise, you have to pay fine at the time of passport surrender for each travel after acquiring foreign citizenship. So technically, nobody is stopping you to travel if you are okay to pay fines.
One forum member posted this: https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/oci-process.254662/post-10625986

amitgreatus

Aug 14, 2019
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
25-03-2019
Med's Done....
08-05-2019

amitgreatus

Aug 14, 2019
India
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
25-03-2019
Med's Done....
08-05-2019

No. There is a mail from delhi FRRO which says its 90 days as grace period.

pnnikam

Oct 28, 2023
I believe entry visa takes 45 days processing time & my travel date is in 1st week of december. I have both passport right now , to apply for entry visa , i would need to surrender my Indian passport & what if entry visa doesn’t get in required time then i have to cancel my flight.

forw.jane

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2019
I believe entry visa takes 45 days processing time & my travel date is in 1st week of december. I have both passport right now , to apply for entry visa , i would need to surrender my Indian passport & what if entry visa doesn’t get in required time then i have to cancel my flight.
People have got entry visa processed in 3 days. They might receive it in hand in 2 days more. Keep an eye on thread - https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/oci-process.254662/unread

That would be most simple way to go then the one you are trying to do.

Max1503

Nov 13, 2023
Hi everyone,

Did anyone recently travel to India during the grace period?

FYI
Don’t have time to surrender passport and get entry visa.
Travel date: 26th Nov.

Wanted to know the experience.
Thanks in advance

abbas.pasha

VIP Member
Sep 17, 2016